FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Aman Poll and Questions 2010 onwards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1036965-aman-poll-questions-2010-onwards.html)

zigzag May 9, 2010 1:43 pm

The prickley pear margarita's on a sun mat next to the step well in the spa. Hike the rocks above the pool on your own by riding a bike to where they are building the villas and climb up and look at the view.

instyleprincess May 9, 2010 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by kmklint (Post 13925922)
I'm staying at Amangiri next week, and I'm looking forward to the experience.
This is my first stay at an Aman property. Wanted to ask the Aman-junkies for insight on how to maximize enjoyment at Amangiri. Wasn't sure if there were any unknown or under the radar aspects that most folks wouldn't even think to ask for,etc.

Do the hummer slot canyon tour!!!!
Rent a boat for the day at lake powell!

aesla11 May 9, 2010 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Ericka (Post 13925159)
Here is the response from Aman Summer Palace regarding shark fin soup.....

Dear Mr and Mrs Ericka,

Thank you very much for your email and your concern about shark fin soup.

We would like to share with you that we do not display shark fin soup in our menus nor do we support its consumption. In the spirit of Amanresorts, we strongly discourage its promotion.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you at the Aman at Summer Palace in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance.

Kind regards,

Mark Swinton
General Manager
Aman at Summer Palace, Beijing

Thank you Ericka.

I hope this is truely right. Free Sharks are quite different than the captive ducks. The effect of approximately 100 million sharks losing their lives for our demands for aphrodesia is just not right. The effects to our oceans and planet is indescribable.

paul2 May 11, 2010 3:33 pm

Amandari presents an open air film festival July 1st to 3rd :

http://www.elitetraveler.com/news_detail.html?nid=2648
from elitetraveller via twitter

Kagehitokiri May 12, 2010 8:31 am

haha, nice catch paul2, i ignored it because "AMADARI" never even dawned on me :D

paul2 May 12, 2010 5:56 pm

Amankora

If you are thinking of travelling to Bhutan this might be of interest:
http://www.northcoastchronicle.com/c...ming-soon.html

via Amankora on Facebook

kmklint May 14, 2010 5:29 pm

What's the best way to tip for great service at an Aman property? I noticed there is a service charge added to the bill. Is it customary to tip extra?
Do you tip at check out or at the end of a specific treatment, etc?

Ericka May 15, 2010 2:42 pm

At Amans, we tip at the end of our stay in an envelope with a thank you note. And only for truly exceptional, very personal service. Particularly for someone we spent a lot of time with or built a relationship with.

kmklint May 15, 2010 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Ericka (Post 13963653)
At Amans, we tip at the end of our stay in an envelope with a thank you note. And only for truly exceptional, very personal service. Particularly for someone we spent a lot of time with or built a relationship with.

Thank you and everyone that gave me great advice for visiting Amangiri.

paul2 May 18, 2010 5:53 pm

Aman for sale

In addition to the earlier Goldman Sachs story comes this :
http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bus...s-_458352.html

Interesting but worrying and perhaps not suprising.
So many amanresorts must be be doing badly right now.

TRAVELSIG May 19, 2010 12:57 am

Originally Posted by paul2 (Post 13981775)
In addition to the earlier Goldman Sachs story comes this :
http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bus...s-_458352.html

Interesting but worrying and perhaps not suprising.
So many amanresorts must be be doing badly right now.

Are you sure about that?
My understanding is that most amanresorts are doing very well.

Kagehitokiri May 19, 2010 4:23 pm

discussion is in new aman thread..

paul2 May 19, 2010 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG (Post 13983316)
Are you sure about that?
My understanding is that most amanresorts are doing very well.

Travelsig, I wasnt basing my comment on information I had, I was surmising and should have said. I was surmising on reduced rates at Amanpuri and the ongoing problem in Thailand. Also,tourism in Indonesia suffered for quite some time after the bombings in Bali and there have been reports of low occupancy and sales at Amangiri for example.
There is another intersting thread on this forum about this subject and as Kagehitokiri has mentioned it has also been discussed on the 'new aman' thread.

paul2 May 25, 2010 4:16 pm

Thanks to Donali for this excerpt from a thread on the Asia forum.
Apart from the information on specific suites, its interesting that occupancy was so low :

"PS just back from Amantaka in Laos... great place. We put the staff to the test with all of our high maintenance demands, and they came through big time. We stayed in the Amantaka Villa at first, huge but not the best layout for us, so we moved to a Mekong Villa (#8). The latter has the advantage of two separate rooms with two sets of doors in between, perfect if like us you wind up in the unlikely position of being there with a newborn! But the best villas BY FAR are the Khan Villas (or Suites, not sure what the formal name is). The layout of these is vastly superior to the more expensive villas, and if you choose #2 or #6, you get a very deep garden/pool area. Any of the other ones either have shallow yards, or they face the school, which in Laos apparently means not much study and lots of running around screaming all day long. Note I checked lots of the units out (we were the only people there save another family) so I have a good handle on the place. Luang Prabang itself is excellent and culturally explosive - it's hard to get 5 star comfort in such a cool and relatively untrafficked place. This is a must visit in Asia."

mike_la_jolla May 25, 2010 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by paul2 (Post 14022206)
Thanks to Donali for this excerpt from a thread on the Asia forum.
Apart from the information on specific suites, its interesting that occupancy was so low :

(we were the only people there save another family) so I have a good handle on the place

I have similar questions about Aman in general. I’ve been to 5: Hotel Bora-Bora (2), Amanpuri, Amangani, Amanyara, and Summer Palace.

Of the 6 stays, only at HBB did we ever see anybody else or get the impression that the place was busy. Let me clarify the term ‘busy’. By busy, I don’t mean the FS-Maui-no-lounge-chairs-and-2-hour-wait-for-seat-to-eat. I mean ‘not waking up the bartender’. At Summer Palace, I was the only meal served that evening at Naoki. This is sort of eerie and I’m not certain I like it. At Summer Palace, despite the massive buzz the place is getting, if anybody else was there it sure wasn’t obvious.

What sort of capacity is breakeven at an expensive Aman boutique hotel?