Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

best luxury hotel in Singapore and Hong Kong

best luxury hotel in Singapore and Hong Kong

Old Dec 8, 09, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Smile best luxury hotel in Singapore and Hong Kong

I will be traveling to both Singapore and Hong Kong in Feb. and am looking for the top luxury hotels---can you help me?
Old Dec 8, 09, 9:41 pm
Senior Moderator/Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the thread as it moves to our Luxury Hotel forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Dec 8, 09, 10:06 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, CX DM, DL Gold, HHonors Gold, AA Plat
Originally Posted by allieboy View Post
I will be traveling to both Singapore and Hong Kong in Feb. and am looking for the top luxury hotels---can you help me?

St Regis in singapore.. $$$
Banyan Tree on Bintan Island.

Not sure about HK
Old Dec 8, 09, 10:33 pm

I'm a huge fan of the LMO in Hong Kong. Great rooms, great service, very intimate due to its size, really nice location. Views are awful, though. For views, go with the Pen, MO, or perhaps the FS.

For Singapore, I haven't been for a couple years but stayed at the FS. Overall, wasn't super impressed. Service was decent, rooms were very worn. I think they may have redone it since then, though? Location is excellent, I have to say.
Old Dec 8, 09, 11:36 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
For Singapore, generally:

Four Seasons
Shangri-La Valley Wing
Ritz Carlton
Raffles
Fullerton
St. Regis
Mandarin Oriental Club Level

are considered to be the top properties. I have stayed at the Fullerton, Four Seasons, and Ritz Carlton and my personal favourite up in Orchard Rd area is the Four Seasons. In Marina Bay area, I like the Fullerton, especially the F&B.

A lot depends on where you want to be -- in which area of the city.

As for Hong Kong, the most popular top hotels are:

Four Seasons
Peninsula
Mandarin Oriental
Landmark Mandarin Oriental
Inter-Continental (for the stunning views of the harbour).

There are numerous threads on hotels in both these cities debating the pros and cons of every property in stunning detail.

Happy travels!!
Old Dec 9, 09, 12:07 am
jsq

Programs: ual, aa, co, delta, centurion
hello,
for singapore the mandarin is adequate and well priced, its real value is its great location. walking distance to most everything.

regarding hong kong the landmark mandarin has good sized rooms, is well located in town location near upscale shopping. price per room was very good 2 years ago. not sure how it sits now for price.

both i would use again. excellent staff at both.

regards,
jsq
Old Dec 9, 09, 1:59 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
It will be easier for us to make recommendations if you can let us know what are you looking for in a luxury hotel stay. ie what are your priorities. For eg, is it a great pool? Spa? F&B? Room quality? Even among top-tier hotels, they vary in terms of facilties, room quality, decor etc..

Also, you might want to do a search on this forum. This topic has been discussed many times in detail here.

Last edited by BENLEE; Dec 9, 09 at 2:07 am
Old Dec 9, 09, 5:10 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
It is not often that I suggest to posters that they should use the "search" function. But in this case you really should as there are numerous threads, some of them quite long, which go into intricate detail about all the different luxury properties in both of those cities.

In both Singapore and Hong Kong there is probably no "winner" but there are 4 or 5 properties in each city which are outstanding. What makes it the "best" luxury hotel will depend in part on what you are looking for.

So try the search and you will find pages and pages of posts on the top properties in both of these cities.
Old Dec 11, 09, 6:04 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Hey first post here!

4S in Singapore is dull beyond belief. Bar is non-existent and the restaurant is average at best. The restaurant is not the worst Iíve tried at a 4S, but second worst. (Worst, by far, is 4S Palo Alto.)

Raffles is a tourist infested carnival. And the employees are MEAN. The pool is cool and the location good. The history is very interesting.

I'll be trying the St Regis next time. Leaving for HK tomorrow. Iíll report on the Pen when I return.
Old Dec 12, 09, 1:47 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by jsq View Post
hello,
for singapore the mandarin is adequate and well priced, its real value is its great location. walking distance to most everything.

jsq
Which Mandarin in SIN?

The Meritus Mandarin on Orchard Rd is well located, but not luxury IMO. Then there is the Meritus Marina Mandarin (again not luxury IMO) and the Mandarin Oriental at Marina Bay - I've always thought these are a bit stuck out of the way. A bit of an awkward walk to the Metro through shopping malls, up and down escalators etc. I tend to think you need to use taxis at the MO to get anywhere.

In HK, also worthy of consideration is the Island Shangri-La. They've recently opened a club lounge at the top of the hotel next to Petrus and most rooms have been recently refurbished.
Old Dec 12, 09, 6:54 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC View Post
In HK, also worthy of consideration is the Island Shangri-La. They've recently opened a club lounge at the top of the hotel next to Petrus and most rooms have been recently refurbished.
I've had a tour of the Club Lounge (Horizon Club) and the Horizon Harbour View Room during a recent trip to Hong Kong. The lounge is quite impressive. As for the room, the bathroom is a bit on the small side.
Old Dec 12, 09, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA, SPG
I was at the Intercontinental Hong Kong about 10 days ago. I really like that hotel. It is not the newest, and frankly parts are looking a little dated. The view from the rooms at this hotel make it the place for me though. Book a Jurnior Suite (with the last two digits of the room being 16) and you will have two huge windows looking across Victoria harbor. Better yet, book through Virtuoso and get a double upgrade (to the Jr. Suite) at time of booking and free Club Intercontinental access (can you say free Dom Perignon?). It's not the cheapest option, and far from the most expensive. Once you see that view the fact that the bathroom is not new (but is marble with a separate shower with steam function, and a nice jacuzzi tub) will not matter.

Overall very comfortable, and a high level of service (albeit nothing like a Four Seasons).
Old Dec 12, 09, 6:14 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla View Post
Hey first post here!

4S in Singapore is dull beyond belief. Bar is non-existent and the restaurant is average at best. The restaurant is not the worst I’ve tried at a 4S, but second worst. (Worst, by far, is 4S Palo Alto.)

Raffles is a tourist infested carnival. And the employees are MEAN. The pool is cool and the location good. The history is very interesting.

I'll be trying the St Regis next time. Leaving for HK tomorrow. I’ll report on the Pen when I return.
Hi Mike, welcome to FT! I live near the FS East Palo Alto (never confuse East Palo Alto with Palo Alto!) and, while you might not believe it, the restaurant at this hotel is actually improved over a year or two ago.

I agree that the employees at Raffles Singapore are mean-spirited, I can't imagine staying there. I have had service problems with the 4S Singapore but that was quite a while ago, maybe it's improved since then. I did like the passageway connection through the Hilton to Orchard Road.
Old Dec 12, 09, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by peter11 View Post
...Intercontinental Hong Kong...Virtuoso and get a double upgrade (to the Jr. Suite) at time of booking and free Club Intercontinental access (can you say free Dom Perignon?).
perhaps a virtuoso TA can clarify the standard/guaranteed benefits.

2009 list of virtuoso with confirmed upgrades (no ICHK) >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11784185-post66.html

2007 ICHK benefits >
- Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
- Daily Buffet breakfast served in restaurant
- Seasonal fresh fruit presented with homemade chocolates
- 12 Noon early check-in, subject to availability

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
highest Virtuoso/FHR upgrade = jr suite > exec suite, so that beats RA if they wont upgrade past jr suite.
Old Dec 12, 09, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA, SPG
Not sure why it is not on the list you are referring to Kage. DavidO booked the following Virtuoso promotion for me. This is on the Virtuoso website and is valid through June 30, 2010 including confirmed upgrade...see below:

Enjoy a two-category room upgrade, with a maximum upgrade to a Junior Suite, at the time of booking

Daily buffet breakfast at Harbourside restaurant

Complimentary access to Club InterContinental for booking Contemporary Superior Harbour View category and above

Search this Thread
Search Engine: