Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best luxury hotel in Singapore and Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2009, 6:27 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Originally Posted by peter11
All you need to do is ask for DOM PERIGNON and the server will whisper back to you that they will get you a "DP". They clearly do not want everyone ordering it.

One of the club employees told me they are considering eliminating the DP from the menu. If this is a deal killer for you, confirm with the hotel before you book. BTW, the cocktail hours are from roughly 6 to 8 pm. Outside of these hours, you are on your own.
Thanks for the update; I'm willing to bet it never occurred to my friend to ask for it by name! Another reason why this forum is so valuable...

Not really a deal breaker for me, as long as they don't switch to Pol Roger!
Old Dec 21, 2009, 8:11 am

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by BENLEE
IMHO, it's not among the top tier ( MO, FS, Pen, IC and some will say Island Shang ) and as is priced as such. Still a decent 5-star hotel. It depends on what's your expectation and what you are comparing with.
I quite like the Conrad, actually. Rooms are quite large, and although they will not get any awards for design, are comfortable. Service is (as you would expect in HK) very good. And the hotel on occasion has great deals. It's a solid choice for business if you don't want to break the bank. View is also pretty nice in most rooms.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 8:54 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Originally Posted by wolf539

Not really a deal breaker for me, as long as they don't switch to Pol Roger!
The Cuvée Sir Winston Churchill is very drinkable!!
Old Dec 21, 2009, 10:33 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
4S Singapore -- Used to be a morgue?

Originally Posted by deer
- FS Singapore is a darkish 80s building with no flair at all. Having staid at a very dark executive suite (only one small window - crazy!), I was really dissapointed. Also we had maybe bad luck with a very lazy and unfriendly waiter in the also windowless restaurant. Only good thing are the excellent Club 21 fashion boutiques in the same complex.
I must comment that this statement makes the 4S Singapore look *much* better than it really is. I found the entire property, including the pool/bar/restaurant, to be dark, foreboding, and depressing. The sense of ‘dark’ extends far beyond the wretched rooms. The ‘dark’ thing is a neat trick and must be intentional since Singapore is a tropical, sun-drenched city.

We must have had the same executive suite, which I found to be indistinguishable from a cave. I was expecting bats to fly out of the closet. The only 4S room I can remember that was worst was 4S Maui. But commenting on that overrated property would send this thread wildly off topic ….

ADDENDUM (off topic) -- 4S Whistler has rooms that suck also. No ‘hotel’ room appears to have a view. The hotel rooms face the road and pool. The view rooms are condos.

This makes for an interesting side note, of the 5-star hotel chains I have stayed at, 4S has the most resorts I have s-listed: 4S Maui, 4S Whistler, 4S Singapore.

Last edited by mike_la_jolla; Dec 21, 2009 at 11:02 am
Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:49 am

Since they re-modelled the rooms/suites at FS Singapore, I have liked this hotel much better. They are much lighter than the originals and the suites are really excellent. I particularly appreciate the proper hydraulic desk chairs.

I like the dark Bar (shouldn't bars be dark?) and love the re-vamped terrace with its water feature and loads of greenery. Sunday brunch is a brilliant affair here as it is set up all over the ground floor, onto the terrace and almost to the lobby, with a free-flowing martini station where the liquor drips along a sort of ice sculpture and then into the glass.

I don't think the hotel is quite as good as it was under Chris Norton, but it is still very intimate compared to the rest as it is a much smaller property. I have always had really good service here, apart from on the awful club floor which looks like a cheap airport lounge. FS know that this needs a major re-think but the owners have yet to come up with the cash.

I agree about FS Hong Kong - it is one of my favourite hotels.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:55 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I have always had really good service here, apart from on the awful club floor which looks like a cheap airport lounge.
I just stayed at the FS Singapore last Sep. I don't think the hotel has a club lounge anymore.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by BENLEE
I just stayed at the FS Singapore last Sep. I don't think the hotel has a club lounge anymore.
Yes it does, Benlee. If you go up to where the spa reception is, that is meant to be the club floor. They serve coffee, light breakfast and snacks (badly) and most people are not even aware it exists. I think they play it down these days as it is so embarrassing!

Last edited by vuittonsofstyle; Dec 21, 2009 at 12:11 pm Reason: addition
Old Dec 21, 2009, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Singapore: Raffles, have to appreciate the history and get a sickly sweet Sling at the Long Bar.

Hong Kong: The Peninsula, great rooms looking across at Hong Kong is pretty spectacular at night. Also close to many of the good tailors if you're into that. A little bit of a hassle to get over to the Hong Kong side at night, but worth it.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 3:14 am

Programs: CX Gold, Krisflyer PPS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Capella Singapore

Any recent experience with this hotel in Singapore?
I read a review on another site and it was bad .....really bad!

I was checking their website and send them an email through the "contact us" page, received an out of office reply saying that the office is closed during Xmas and New Year. Well, everyone deserves to celebrate Xmas and New Year, but it doesn't give me a good feeling if a hotel has an out of office reply.

The place looks awesome but if service is really that bad?!?!?
So any recent comments will be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Dec 27, 2009, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by sl00001
Any recent experience with this hotel in Singapore?
I read a review on another site and it was bad .....really bad!

I was checking their website and send them an email through the "contact us" page, received an out of office reply saying that the office is closed during Xmas and New Year. Well, everyone deserves to celebrate Xmas and New Year, but it doesn't give me a good feeling if a hotel has an out of office reply.

The place looks awesome but if service is really that bad?!?!?
So any recent comments will be appreciated.

Thanks
From what I hear they are still trying to replace their GM, Michael Luible, who left after less than a year. It does not fill you with optimism, does it?
Old Dec 27, 2009, 7:06 am

Programs: CO NW DL AA SPG Hyatt
Singapore: St Regis is nice and new but does not have much of a lobby or bar. Stay at the marriott, hyatt or meritus mandarin if you want to be in the middle of orchard Rd or at the Marina Mandarin or Ritz if you want a nice harbor view.

HK: Interconti for the view if yo u get a harbor view room. The W is also nice and new
Old Dec 27, 2009, 8:16 pm

Programs: CX Gold, Krisflyer PPS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
From what I hear they are still trying to replace their GM, Michael Luible, who left after less than a year. It does not fill you with optimism, does it?
Hmmm .... let's see if they reply to my email.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:24 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
HK - I'd vote for Landmark Mandarin Oriental and the Four Seasons

Singapore - St Regis with the Bentley transfer and CIP terminal greeting
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Raffles is a tourist infested carnival. And the employees are MEAN. The pool is cool and the location good. The history is very interesting.
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I agree that the employees at Raffles Singapore are mean-spirited, I can't imagine staying there.
If you're both still around, I'd be curious to learn more about your experiences that made you feel this way. When my family and I stayed there last summer, the staff and concierge were all exceptionally friendly and helpful to all of us (it was a much better experience than Banyan Tree Bintan a couple days later)

Even if they were rude to us, I'd still go back for the food. To this day, the breakfast buffet at the Tiffin Room is still the best breakfast I've ever eaten.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:31 pm

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)
HK - Four Seasons

Singapore - tough, stayed at MO & FS and they didn't impress all that much, old run down properties.

Will try Raffles next time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.