Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury Hotels Forum "Presidential Suite Lounge" -- All Welcome!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Hotels Forum "Presidential Suite Lounge" -- All Welcome!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:41 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
That child deserves a medal...and that father deserves an award for sheer patience and good humor.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:17 pm
Original Member

From the NYT:
Airbnb Enters ‘Luxe’ Market
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/25/t...ry-travel.html
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:23 pm
Community Director Emerita

This hotel looks amazing, near Hermanus, South Africa, on undeveloped coastline.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/past-six-days/2019-06-22/travel/see-south-africas-secret-coast-in-style-vmg9bfhqv?utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=newsl etter_105&utm_medium=email&utm_content=105_6415412 &CMP=TNLEmail_118918_6415412_105

Lekkerwater has just seven double guest rooms, and the whole eastern portion of the reserve to explore.

Re the food:
Before coming to run Lekkerwater with her husband, Burt (the lodge’s Mr Fixit), she was the chef/owner for more than a decade of the well-regarded Barefoot Cook restaurant in Hermanus. Not only is her cuisine imaginative and fresh, but it is artistically presented: slivers of rare beef with orange honey served on dramatic black ceramics; chunks of Cape cheese, homemade bread and thyme butter with sweetened black figs on wooden boards; stewed, herbed apricots and cream in mini kilner jars.
bhrubin and Epicura like this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 1:26 pm

I wonder if there are any rewards credit cards that are preferred around here.

Airline miles aren't very useful these days for those who fly business or first, due to devaluation of the programs.

Hotel points don't seem very valuable for many luxury hotel brands or if you're staying in better rooms. For example, so far as I can tell, Marriott points are generally only useful for base rooms, although Hyatt will often allow points upgrades to suites if you pay cash for a base room.

FHR does not seem to offer any benefits you can't get through Virtuoso or various preferred partner TAs.

A card with no foreign exchange fee is useful, but there are lots of those.

I hope this subject is on topic for this thread.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 1:32 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by richarddd
I wonder if there are any rewards credit cards that are preferred around here.

Airline miles aren't very useful these days for those who fly business or first, due to devaluation of the programs.

Hotel points don't seem very valuable for many luxury hotel brands or if you're staying in better rooms. For example, so far as I can tell, Marriott points are generally only useful for base rooms, although Hyatt will often allow points upgrades to suites if you pay cash for a base room.

FHR does not seem to offer any benefits you can't get through Virtuoso or various preferred partner TAs.

A card with no foreign exchange fee is useful, but there are lots of those.

I hope this subject is on topic for this thread.
I recommend Chase Ultimate Rewards cards for luxury travel. You can transfer them to airlines with business class (and some First Class) like United, Singapore, British Air (making AA sometimes accessible), Virgin Atlantic (making DL sometimes accessible), and Air France...as well as Southwest for USA domestic short hops. You also can transfer them to Hyatt--which allows standard suite and premium suite awards using those points.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I recommend Chase Ultimate Rewards cards for luxury travel. You can transfer them to airlines with business class (and some First Class) like United, Singapore, British Air (making AA sometimes accessible), Virgin Atlantic (making DL sometimes accessible), and Air France...as well as Southwest for USA domestic short hops. You also can transfer them to Hyatt--which allows standard suite and premium suite awards using those points.
That's my current favorite. My recent success finding J or F flights to Europe and other than base rooms for points at Hyatt has been astonishingly low, although I have managed to book a JL F flight to Japan and to upgrade Hyatt cash base rooms to premium suites within the past year. Maybe it's just me.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 2:43 pm
Community Director Emerita

My recent success finding J or F flights to Europe has been astonishingly low.
Check Air France. I book near the end of the redemption calendar. I just booked flights for 53K one way in biz, LAX-CDG-FCO and reverse. This is for May 2020. I felt as though I had found gold at the end of the rainbow.
KatW, obscure2k, richarddd and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Check Air France. I book near the end of the redemption calendar. I just booked flights for 53K one way in biz, LAX-CDG-FCO and reverse. This is for May 2020. I felt as though I had found gold at the end of the rainbow.
I'll take a closer look at AF. I got my JL F flights by booking within the first 15 minutes of availability.

I'm not sure how much of a difference there is between "gold at the end of the rainbow" and "astonishingly low" in this context.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 3:40 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Excellent!! We booked 53K ow Biz +91K ow for total of 144K Round trip on AF, Biz, LAX-CDG-VCE November, 2019. The more expensive reward ticket was for a shorter connection in CDG and more desirable flight out of LAX. Used Chase UR Points.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 4:02 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Just be sure to get AF business on a 777 (lie flat) and not the A380 (angle flat)!
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 4:05 pm
Original Member

FHR bookings accrue AmEx reward miles which I use for hotel bookings and on Amazon for practically everything from books to flowers.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
With Amex Centurion you get much better FHR benefits, especially at the chains that have agreements with Amex. Which includes Marriott's Ritz Carlton. I've benefited greatly over the years. And Membership Rewards is a bit better with a Centurion card.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:30 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by stimpy
With Amex Centurion you get much better FHR benefits, especially at the chains that have agreements with Amex. Which includes Marriott's Ritz Carlton. I've benefited greatly over the years. And Membership Rewards is a bit better with a Centurion card.
That may be so but, really, AmEx Centurion is in an entirely different category in terms of spend and qualification.

There is a piece in today’s WSJ about the Sapphire Reserve card and issues with United, and interesting data on mileage benefits (or not).

Last edited by KatW; Jun 27, 2019 at 10:53 am
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:46 am

Does anyone know what has happened to Kage, as he has not posted in this forum for some time. I miss him!
scented likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Does anyone know what has happened to Kage, as he has not posted in this forum for some time. I miss him!
We all miss him!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.