Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury Hotels Forum "Presidential Suite Lounge" -- All Welcome!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Hotels Forum "Presidential Suite Lounge" -- All Welcome!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by scented
Do enlighten me where you are staying currently!
St. Regis Florence
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:26 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by offerendum
St. Regis Florence
Oh no! I love that hotel and had a spectacular stay there last Oct. I hope things improve for you.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by bhrubin

Oh no! I love that hotel and had a spectacular stay there last Oct. I hope things improve for you.
Unfortunately our experience is very different here. Had worse stays but it's far from spectacular. Service is lacking in many ways, I checked during dinner if they still have a Michelin star (what is completely mysterious to me) and breakfast is surprisingly underwhelming. Not angry to check out today.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Anyone heard much/about this at all?
https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk/banw...-island-opens/

I've only got bare minimum from the team there...
Yes, it's been on a drawing board for a few years now - the first hotel venture for a British owner based in Hong Kong, who builds super yachts.
He has empoyed some interesting people along the way, including some from the old Amanresorts opening team.
The original idea was for the whole island to be rented, but I hear that individual guests are now welcome, too.
The quality of the build is superb and everything is very eco-conscious.
If they get the service right, it could be very special.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by offerendum

Unfortunately our experience is very different here. Had worse stays but it's far from spectacular. Service is lacking in many ways, I checked during dinner if they still have a Michelin star (what is completely mysterious to me) and breakfast is surprisingly underwhelming. Not angry to check out today.
Well you know that a company called Marriott has taken over this hotel, right?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:48 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
Well you know that a company called Marriott has taken over this hotel, right?
Marriott also was in charge of the St Regis brand when I stayed in Oct 2018—and had a spectacularly good stay. And the St Regis teams haven’t changed much at all despite the Starwood purchase. So I’m not sure this is on point.
offerendum likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
...but I hear that individual guests are now welcome, too.
Uh oh. My travel has been looking rather light this year.
vuittonsofstyle and LinLant like this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Marriott also was in charge of the St Regis brand when I stayed in Oct 2018—and had a spectacularly good stay. And the St Regis teams haven’t changed much at all despite the Starwood purchase. So I’m not sure this is on point.
Marriott was also in charge when I had a great stay at this hotel one year ago. But give them time and they can ruin anything. What happens is that they slowly impose their standards. Different hotel managers react differently. Some can manage to keep the hotel running well, some have difficulties. Some just give up, refuse to accept the new rules and wait to get replaced. Perhaps that is what has happened in Florence if we take the post of offerendum to heart. It will be good to hear future reports or go ourselves to see.

I think it should be clear that independent hotels can always deliver the better experience than a global chain hotel. Starwood was a very good chain. Marriott might not be able to handle the size and breadth of their brands.
offerendum likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

To be fair they "questioned" me during check-out (first didn't complain as I'm not the type for ot), I think they are aware especially about problems at the restaurant. Without question about it (would mever do) they offered me 50% off the restaurant bill. A generous compensation which I didn't expect.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:08 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Yes, it's been on a drawing board for a few years now - the first hotel venture for a British owner based in Hong Kong, who builds super yachts.
He has empoyed some interesting people along the way, including some from the old Amanresorts opening team.
The original idea was for the whole island to be rented, but I hear that individual guests are now welcome, too.
The quality of the build is superb and everything is very eco-conscious.
If they get the service right, it could be very special.
Thanks! It sure does look good - forcing a USD 100,000/night private island for a 48 person accommodation does seem a bit much though; so would be great if they go down the individual guest route. Plus offers a great (better?) alternative to Amanpulo if so.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:08 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Uh oh. My travel has been looking rather light this year.
See you in Hong Kong then
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

stimpy, i would argue 'brand concept' is 'over' for luxury hotels. although aman will remain unique in terms of property scale unless they open properties with many more rooms.

preferences and experiences re independent or brand varies here. personally, i've concluded i like properties that do not resemble hotels. properties also require owner investment.

British owner based in Hong Kong, who builds super yachts. He has empoyed some interesting people along the way, including some from the old Amanresorts opening team.The original idea was for the whole island to be rented, but I hear that individual guests are now welcome, too.
three 1BR
two 2BR
one 4BR
(one is owner's residence?)
12 rooms
1 suite

seems 15 acres, vs 200+ acre pulo

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 7, 2019 at 11:34 am
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
stimpy, i would argue 'brand concept' is 'over' for luxury hotels
My argument as well. Generalizing of course. There can be, and are, some very good brand luxury hotels amongst FS, MO, RC, StR, etc. But a business like Marriott has succeeded throughout the years by forcing hotels to follow their model. That model cannot really deliver a better hotel experience than a good creative hotel GM and owner can.

That's not to say that those brands I referenced are cookie cutter. You cannot compare the MO Bangkok with any other MO in the world, thank goodness.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

luxury hotel brands want to grow, they have abandoned any focus on brand consistency.

this is because ownership of almost all brands has changed since golden era. (no profits?)

many FTers like 'inclusions' which to me do not really involve brand/corporate consistency.

Originally Posted by stimpy
You cannot compare the MO Bangkok with any other MO in the world, thank goodness.
all that matters is the property. brand no longer offers much information.

many luxury brand regulars like certain things, even including feel/etc.

some dont care about size, scale, facilities, etc. others do. just varies.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 7, 2019 at 12:11 pm
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
luxury hotel brands want to grow, they have abandoned any focus on brand consistency.
I know for a fact that is not the case with Marriott. Ask any GM of a Marriott property. But when I talk about consistency, it is not visual style I am referring to. But how the hotel runs its business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.