Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury Hotels Forum "Presidential Suite Lounge" -- All Welcome!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Hotels Forum "Presidential Suite Lounge" -- All Welcome!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
i regret not doing active/exploratory earlier, including in cities, as well as sailing. regret not doing a property i knew, nor returning to another property i did once. wish i knew about aman 20 years ago. doing properties with few rooms (with lucky low occupancy) and top accommodations at properties with regular rooms impacted my view of most luxury.

certain preferences can be very limiting, regardless of what the preference is
If you ever want info or helping hand on sailing just ask. That is my milieu.

seems like there is less reason to be, exceptions for many here include villa resorts
That is somewhat disappointing to hear. Lucky for me villa resorts are my current booking task. Otherwise you can find me in my usual haunts in London, D.C. or Paris.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

london and paris will keep adding, can always hope competition raises standards

will be interesting to see balance of FS villa vs big box, FS cabo owner doing adjacent aman and several other FS. seems villa financing still problem. aman costa rica might be pending residence sales. FS barbados, MO and RC turks, others still sitting partially built.

seems lehman had huge role in existence of villa resorts, by financing so many of them

wow. was looking up another rental i had considered but did not do >
sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Glass-House-Fairfield-CA-fire-1700-Twin-Sisters-12281745.php
hope california residents here have done ok with fires and everything else

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 9, 2018 at 8:26 am
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:50 am

seems villa financing still problem. aman costa rica might be pending residence sales. FS barbados, MO and RC turks, others still sitting partially built.
That is sad to hear.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:33 pm

https://www.hotelmanagement.net/deve...n-hotel-market
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:06 pm

https://www.travelmarketreport.com/a...llection-Brand

Will this be like the Luxury Collection of Marriott? If so, seems like you could dump half of the current Waldorf Astoria-branded properties here that don't match up to standards that Hilton seems trying to set for WA and work on upping the WA properties better.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:09 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Shangri-La
https://www.travelmarketreport.com/a...llection-Brand

Will this be like the Luxury Collection of Marriott? If so, seems like you could dump half of the current Waldorf Astoria-branded properties here that don't match up to standards that Hilton seems trying to set for WA and work on upping the WA properties better.
I think that's the goal Hilton has, but considering how clumsy and ineffective Hilton has been in conversions to its flagship WA brand, it doesn't bode well for its new LXR independent boutique luxury brand.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:56 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Originally Posted by bhrubin
We avoid traveling at all in the summer, mostly because (1) summer has such amazing weather in SoCal, so there’s really no better place to be, and (2) summer rates are almost always exorbitant in most places due to high season mark up and ridiculous demand. We also know that (3) summer is extreme high season in most northern hemisphere locations, which means less service, more crowds, less chance for upgrades, longer wait times, etc. And (4) everyone knows I despise the terribly hot and usually oppressive weather possible in summer high season.

It's the best time for an African safari, though

Cooler (and drier) weather, and more wildlife!
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:51 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by KI-NRT
It's the best time for an African safari, though

Cooler (and drier) weather, and more wildlife!
We’re at the Fireblade aviation terminal right now headed to Tswalu!
KI-NRT, Musken and Altocumulus like this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ericka
We’re at the Fireblade aviation terminal right now headed to Tswalu!
do they offer to handle immigration there for incoming guests?

enjoy!
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:45 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
do they offer to handle immigration there for incoming guests?
They sure do!
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:35 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Today's Wall St Journal reports that the Belmond (former Orient Express) company is up for sale. It is considering "strategic alternatives" (typical phrase used in these circumstances) that include both selling the entire chain or just individual hotels.
offerendum and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:43 pm

I can't remember if I saw this, and it's a few months old, but it's cool that the FS is going to Belize:

https://press.fourseasons.com/news-r...ons-in-belize/

Would love for the dead FS Barbados project to come to life.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Today's Wall St Journal reports that the Belmond (former Orient Express) company is up for sale. It is considering "strategic alternatives" (typical phrase used in these circumstances) that include both selling the entire chain or just individual hotels.
My interpretation is that their room prices were far too high and the product did not differentiate well enough to attract business at those rates. The owners refused to lower prices and thus their grand project is over.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
My interpretation is that their room prices were far too high and the product did not differentiate well enough to attract business at those rates. The owners refused to lower prices and thus their grand project is over.
huh? they own a bunch of their properties. unfortunately bought juluca right before irma. so losses driven by ownership. only profitable 2015 & 2016 since 2008, although irma may be only reason for 2017 & 2018. theyve been reducing ownership in rail assets.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
huh? they own a bunch of their properties. unfortunately bought juluca right before irma. so losses driven by ownership. only profitable 2015 & 2016 since 2008, although irma may be only reason for 2017 & 2018. theyve been reducing ownership in rail assets.
Yes they own a bunch of their properties. That doesn't change the situation any as I described it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.