Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury Hotels Forum "Presidential Suite Lounge" -- All Welcome!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Hotels Forum "Presidential Suite Lounge" -- All Welcome!!

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2010, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

well i for one am glad vuittonsofstyle did not depart. look forward to hearing about FS beirut - soon? ^

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 16, 2010 at 1:29 pm
Old May 16, 2010, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
well i for one am glad vuittonsofstyle did not depart. look forward to hearing about FS beirut - soon? ^
+1 looking forward to reports from FS Beirut and Le Gray
Old May 18, 2010, 4:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by paul2
+1 looking forward to reports from FS Beirut and Le Gray
+1
Old May 18, 2010, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

im not entirely sure there was a rapid price increase at FS golden triangle, but if there was, i think it is because of occupancy levels becoming so low. (talking base rates only, vs USD)

thai occupancy just keeps dropping, especially FS. just looked at the owner's financials. makes me curious how low amanpuri, trisara, MO are. certainly interesting trisara rates continue to creep up, while amanpuri did massive discount.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 18, 2010 at 6:04 pm
Old May 19, 2010, 6:36 pm

Thailand

I know this is being covered ad infinitum on the Thailand forum here on Flyertalk,but I wonder has anyone on the Lux forum changed plans or is in Thailand right now? Safe travels if you are there.
Old May 27, 2010, 2:34 am

Programs: British Airways Silver
Originally Posted by paul2
I know this is being covered ad infinitum on the Thailand forum here on Flyertalk,but I wonder has anyone on the Lux forum changed plans or is in Thailand right now? Safe travels if you are there.
We have and we felt we had to especially as we are travelling with our young son. We had a wonderful trip planned for Xmas/ New Year (staying at Trisara, MO Chiang Mai and Peninsula Bkk) and we have cancelled it all, rearranged to visit Siem Reap, Langkawi and Bali instead.
Although I think it likely that by December matters might well have settled down in Thailand, there is the possibility of elections later this year and the general consensus is that Thailand is increasingly unstable politically. So we felt it was too risky, as we needed to sort out an alternative now, not leave it 'til Nov when the luxury options would in all likelihood be booked out and we would forfeit deposits.
Other travellers will take an opposing view and if I were single or just travelling as a young couple then we might have decided differently. However, for us as a family, I believe it was the right choice.
Old May 27, 2010, 9:15 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Tanyam99
We have and we felt we had to especially as we are travelling with our young son. We had a wonderful trip planned for Xmas/ New Year (staying at Trisara, MO Chiang Mai and Peninsula Bkk) and we have cancelled it all, rearranged to visit Siem Reap, Langkawi and Bali instead.
Although I think it likely that by December matters might well have settled down in Thailand, there is the possibility of elections later this year and the general consensus is that Thailand is increasingly unstable politically. So we felt it was too risky, as we needed to sort out an alternative now, not leave it 'til Nov when the luxury options would in all likelihood be booked out and we would forfeit deposits.
Other travellers will take an opposing view and if I were single or just travelling as a young couple then we might have decided differently. However, for us as a family, I believe it was the right choice.

Totally understand your choice. We considered visiting Chiang Mai in October, but chose to go somewhere else. We are also travelling with a child. Also I rather prefer to only look forward when I have booked a holiday instead of worrying about things (except the weather ).
Old May 27, 2010, 11:46 am

I would never cancel Trisara - just fly into Phuket from Singapore, which is what I did last time Bangkok erupted. Phuket is invariably fine.
Old May 27, 2010, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i had forgotten the yellow shirts shut down phuket airport in aug 2008, before shutting down BKK airports in nov 2008.

re chiang mai (just had some red shirt activity) not sure where airport is located, but FS is out of town.

FS samui(*) gets mixed reports here. (as does amanpuri.)

FS tented camp has published minimum age of 12.

six senses has 2 private island resorts - soneva kiri(*) and destination spa phuket. destination spa phuket has published min age of 16.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 27, 2010 at 12:15 pm
Old May 27, 2010, 12:06 pm

i had forgotten the yellow shirts shut down phuket airport in aug 2008, before shutting down BKK airports in nov 2008.

re chiang mai (just had some red shirt activity) not sure where airport is located, but FS is out of town.

FS samui gets mixed reports here. (as does amanpuri)

Did they? I must have missed it. Poor Thailand.
Old May 27, 2010, 1:32 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

FS samui(*) gets mixed reports here. (as does amanpuri.)

six senses has 2 private island resorts - soneva kiri(*) and destination spa phuket. destination spa phuket has published min age of 16.
I know that FS is out of town, but would not want to feel that I was stuck in a hotel, no matter how good. I would have wanted to see the city as well, and would also have worried about possible airport issues.
Old May 27, 2010, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

right, i agree there are potential logistical issues re city/airport/etc.

OTOH FS samui can be reached nonstop from HKG and SIN. and im assuming arrangements could be made for soneva kiri as well.

soneva kiri should be able to be reached from a cambodian airport, considering the resort usually does a transfer flight from BKK.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 28, 2010 at 8:02 pm
Old May 28, 2010, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Musken
I know that FS is out of town, but would not want to feel that I was stuck in a hotel, no matter how good. I would have wanted to see the city as well, and would also have worried about possible airport issues.
Not sure what you mean by 'out of town'? I always stay at FS when I am travelling in and out of Bangkok, as it is relatively close to the airport and is very central for the best shops. If I am staying longer in Bangkok, then my preference is for the Chao Phrya River properties, particularly The Pen.
Old May 28, 2010, 9:20 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Not sure what you mean by 'out of town'? I always stay at FS when I am travelling in and out of Bangkok, as it is relatively close to the airport and is very central for the best shops. If I am staying longer in Bangkok, then my preference is for the Chao Phrya River properties, particularly The Pen.
We were discussing FS in Chiang Mai.
Old May 28, 2010, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Musken
We were discussing FS in Chiang Mai.
Sorry, but that was not entirely obvious. Sometimes it is difficult keeping track when you just say FS!

In that case, FS Chiang Mai may be out of town, but that's a blessing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.