Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury Hotels Forum "Presidential Suite Lounge" -- All Welcome!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Hotels Forum "Presidential Suite Lounge" -- All Welcome!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2010, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't remember the number of R&C properties in France when I did my list.

For Michelin *** something like 15-20, with half in Paris/suburbs and half in the provinces is about right. When I counted, I think it was 16, of which 8 were in Paris.

Of course, there are many more ** but still not a huge number like *.
In the 2009 directory there were 137 Relais & Châteaux hotels and restaurants in France.

What did you think of Le Petit Nice-Passédat, which has been in the directory for many years, so you must have stayed?
Old Jan 13, 2010, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
What did you think of Le Petit Nice-Passédat, which has been in the directory for many years, so you must have stayed?
Mixed. For a number of years I had seen the place and always thought that someday I would like to stay and/or eat there. The time came when I had to be in Marseille for about a week for some meeting where I needed a car and the hotel was on the right side of the old port (which I like, but didn't want to deal with since I needed the car). The other locationally desirable properties seemed to be new and probably somewhat the French version of a plastic resort. The street/alley to access the hotel made me ultimately regret the fact that Hertz gave me a nice upgrade.

My wonderful travel agent reserved some sort of deluxe king room for me, but couldn't answer very specific questions about their room categories. I had a reasonably nice room in the front with a huge round spa tub in the room by a window and a shower stall in the bathroom. I also remember a walk-in closet with minibar; I broke a wine glass when I grabbed my jacket from its hanger one morning. The room itself was a bit nondescript; I have mixed feelings about they way the hotel has implemented modern decor in their classic building.

Dinner there one night was very good, but I remember a bit of a hassle getting a table with a good view. Breakfast was as expected for France; good coffee, croissants and brioche but I wouldn't rave about it.

I liked the pretty but cold little pool. I only used the sun deck for the view as I'm not a tanner. The big old dog was fun but I didn't like it when a waiter hit him for not readily showing that he could shake hands with me. (What a strange memory.) It was fun to find big turtles on the walk and in the garden.

I think this was four or five years ago. Overall, I'm glad I stayed there, but I'm not sure how eager I would be to go back.

Do you know this property well? What do you think?

More random memories

I was there at the end of June, so that it wasn't yet high season in southern France; traffic on the coastal road was just beginning to build up. It was interesting to watch the neighborhood kids fish and swim from the rocks below the hotel.

One day the sea was very rough with dark threatening clouds, but it didn't rain. I love hearing the waves crash against the rocks. It's a stunning location but I personally like it better in bad weather.

Dinner was fresh local fish (sorry, I don't remember the details) with a rose from Bandol, I believe.

One evening I returned late and the valet parkers for the restaurant (very busy that night) put my car over the grate of a big storm drain. The next morning, I was concerned that I would drop my keys while trying to unlock the door.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jan 13, 2010 at 10:30 am Reason: addition at end
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Mixed. For a number of years I had seen the place and always thought that someday I would like to stay and/or eat there. The time came when I had to be in Marseille for about a week for some meeting where I needed a car and the hotel was on the right side of the old port (which I like, but didn't want to deal with since I needed the car). The other locationally desirable properties seemed to be new and probably somewhat the French version of a plastic resort. The street/alley to access the hotel made me ultimately regret the fact that Hertz gave me a nice upgrade.

My wonderful travel agent reserved some sort of deluxe king room for me, but couldn't answer very specific questions about their room categories. I had a reasonably nice room in the front with a huge round spa tub in the room by a window and a shower stall in the bathroom. I also remember a walk-in closet with minibar; I broke a wine glass when I grabbed my jacket from its hanger one morning. The room itself was a bit nondescript; I have mixed feelings about they way the hotel has implemented modern decor in their classic building.

Dinner there one night was very good, but I remember a bit of a hassle getting a table with a good view. Breakfast was as expected for France; good coffee, croissants and brioche but I wouldn't rave about it.

I liked the pretty but cold little pool. I only used the sun deck for the view as I'm not a tanner. The big old dog was fun but I didn't like it when a waiter hit him for not readily showing that he could shake hands with me. (What a strange memory.) It was fun to find big turtles on the walk and in the garden.

I think this was four or five years ago. Overall, I'm glad I stayed there, but I'm not sure how eager I would be to go back.

Do you know this property well? What do you think?

More random memories

I was there at the end of June, so that it wasn't yet high season in southern France; traffic on the coastal road was just beginning to build up. It was interesting to watch the neighborhood kids fish and swim from the rocks below the hotel.

One day the sea was very rough with dark threatening clouds, but it didn't rain. I love hearing the waves crash against the rocks. It's a stunning location but I personally like it better in bad weather.

Dinner was fresh local fish (sorry, I don't remember the details) with a rose from Bandol, I believe.

One evening I returned late and the valet parkers for the restaurant (very busy that night) put my car over the grate of a big storm drain. The next morning, I was concerned that I would drop my keys while trying to unlock the door.
Your experience almost exactly mirrors my own, although Gerard Passedat's cuisine was certainly worthy of his 3 Michelin stars and I loved the special plates and dishes they had made for the 3-tier Bouillabaise.

I don't like the rooms or suites - very strange design, but then that is so typical of France. I was not bowled over by the service either, or the breakfast. I would not go back, and yes, that little narrow entrance road, which we drove past the first time, is scarily narrow.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 9:42 am

Luxury hotels thread description

Just a thought, but every time I click onto the Luxury hotels thread, I see it described as talking about luxury hotels, 'such as Ritz-Carlton and Four Seasons'. As Ritz-Carlton is now Marriott, would it not be more accurate to describe this thread as talking about luxury hotels, 'such as Four Seasons and Amanresorts'? I say this because there are more postings about Aman than virtually anything else!

Other contenders could be Mandarin Oriental, Peninsula etc
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.elitetraveler.com/news_de...ebrities-chefs
...Back for the second year running, Gourmet Abu Dhabi 2010 has been extended to 15 days, due to the overwhelming response at the successful launch edition. The epicurean festival will run from the 5th to the 19th of February 2010, featuring a stellar line up of Michelin Star chefs...comprising a total of 15 Michelin Stars between them.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Funny, because we bumped into a few chefs we know from other hotels. Definitely a destination to watch.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

new FHR incl 27 FS, some amenities priced in €
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13220431-post30.html

MO marbella info moved here >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13228999-post257.html

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 3, 2010 at 5:29 pm
Old Jan 21, 2010, 7:19 am

new FHR incl 27 FS
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13220431-post30.html

might as well post here
http://www.allendearquitectos.com/
proyectos > hoteles
hotel & spa las colinas = upcoming MO marbella
1BR+ pool villas in hotel inventory. also condo/villa residences. not sure re overlap.
Interesting build, Kage. This MO project appeared to have gone quiet. It was conceived in 2005, but I wonder if and when it will happen.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 6:00 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
I was reading an article yesterday about the Hotel Montana in Haiti that completely collapsed and how several foreigners were still trapped inside and/or officially unaccounted for. As with all other buildings in Haiti, there were little to no construction standards.

Curiosity got the better of me and I looked up the hotel website. I was expecting to find a comfortable, slightly run-down local establishment. Wow. The hotel was really nice. I would definitely stay there. Looking at the before and after pictures....unbelievably sad.

Now I wonder when we stay in the more impoverished countries what the construction standards are. And when there are few "laws" about such things, can we trust our luxury hotels to build to withstand certain natural disasters? Do these high-end architects really care? Or is design more important?
Old Jan 22, 2010, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

isnt haiti more like the "least developed" countries in africa? that makes it more an issue of rule of law.

owners of things like hotels are always going to want to manage the risk of their investments/assets. one might be able to estimate say how much an owner values a certain hotel, their perceived risks, etc.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:09 am

isnt haiti more like the "least developed" countries in africa? that makes it more an issue of rule of law.

owners of things like hotels are always going to want to manage the risk of their investments/assets. one might be able to estimate say how much an owner values a certain hotel, their perceived risks, etc.
Haiti is in the Caribbean, next door to the Dominican Republic, not in Africa.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i said "more like." with the unsaid "than other countries in north/south america."
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:56 am

i said "more like." with the unsaid "than other countries in north/south america."
Sorry Kage, misunderstood the punctuation.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Ericka
I was reading an article yesterday about the Hotel Montana in Haiti that completely collapsed and how several foreigners were still trapped inside and/or officially unaccounted for. As with all other buildings in Haiti, there were little to no construction standards.

Curiosity got the better of me and I looked up the hotel website. I was expecting to find a comfortable, slightly run-down local establishment. Wow. The hotel was really nice. I would definitely stay there. Looking at the before and after pictures....unbelievably sad.

Now I wonder when we stay in the more impoverished countries what the construction standards are. And when there are few "laws" about such things, can we trust our luxury hotels to build to withstand certain natural disasters? Do these high-end architects really care? Or is design more important?
The presidential palace in Haiti was badly damaged (just to put a hotel into some sort of perspective).
I agree The Montana looked like a very nice hotel in the 'before' pictures.
I also agree with Kage that Haiti is like the least developed African countries and unfortunately more so now.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 2:30 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by obscure2k
If anyone is interested in the Lounge Thread which was the benchmark for all lounge threads, please take a look a the Delta Lounge Forum. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...y-welcome.html
I am surely not urging folks to read the thousands of posts which have been generated over the past nearly 5 years. Still,a look at the Delta Lounge will be enlightening and fun. You can see the possibilities that we, over here, in the Luxury Forum can bring to the "Presidential Suite Lounge."
As is customary by me, I attempt to drop by to wish everybody in a forum a successful and fun Lounge™ experience where a new Lounge™ thread is launched, and the Luxury Hotels forum is no exception.

Enjoy, and thank you, Luxury Forum moderators!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.