Search

Where are you going next?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2019, 6:40 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by uclabruin82
Re Venice: the Gritt is actually more expensive than the Aman for the weekend we are looking, and my understanding is that the base rooms are smaller at the Gritti than the Aman.
I'd be careful with entry level rooms at either property, as there is quite a bit of variability in size at both. But I'd definitely take the entry level room at the Gritti over that at the Aman from what we saw at both. The Aman entry level rooms we saw were quite sterile compared to those at the Gritti.

If you like a bar and restaurant right on the canal, the Aman cannot come close to the Gritti. And the F&B is better at the Gritti.

Again, you may want to consider the brand new St Regis Venice that is to open soon if size or price is an issue. It looks to be an Art Deco design, so that may or may not appeal to you.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I'd be careful with entry level rooms at either property, as there is quite a bit of variability in size at both. But I'd definitely take the entry level room at the Gritti over that at the Aman from what we saw at both. The Aman entry level rooms we saw were quite sterile compared to those at the Gritti.

If you like a bar and restaurant right on the canal, the Aman cannot come close to the Gritti. And the F&B is better at the Gritti.

Again, you may want to consider the brand new St Regis Venice that is to open soon if size or price is an issue. It looks to be an Art Deco design, so that may or may not appeal to you.
Not so sure about the comparsion regarding entire level rooms. The room design at Aman in the 4 "Basis" room categories is relative similar and more or less the majority of Aman-rooms can be described as "quite sterile" or relative bland. This said entire level rooms at Aman range from 44 - 77 sqm, Affresco 49 sqm. I still see no need at the Aman to pay for higher categories.
Gritti is a completely other style, my GF for excample would call it overblown or "grandmothers dream". There entire rooms are 25 - 38 sqm, the Venetian is 26 - 40 sqm. So even if you get the biggest room in this category it will be smaller than Aman. Also have a look at the pictures at Tripadvisor. As bhrubin said they vary very much. Some rooms they show at Tripadvisor simply look very tiny. I definitively wouldn´t take the risk to book an entire level room at Gritti.

So in my eyes if space is important especially at Gritti you must make sure you get a spacious room as even suites are often not that big. Otherwise it´s about style. If you prefer a classical Venetian style with gold etc. Gritti seems to be the choice. If you prefer a modern hotel Aman is the way to go.

This said I stayed at the Aman frequently and was "not only happy" (see my report).
Old Jul 12, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
It has been a great summer so far with a long week stay at Bill & Coo in Mykonos, La Reserve in Paris and Monart in Co Wexford (my first destination spa - against all my protests).

Upcoming trips in the next 12 months that are penciled in/booked:
- AmanZoe in August (probably will also stay at the Hilton in Athens)
- The Vera - Tel Aviv in September for a long weekend
- Singita Boulders/Cape Grace - South Africa in November (my birthdays have a tendency to be spent in either Italy or South Africa the past few years)
- Gramercy Park - NY in December for a long weekend
- Zero George Street - Charleston SC in April for a long weekend
- Stamba Hotel - Tbilisi June 2020 (this is entry and departing point of my solo trip to Abkhazia next summer)

There are a few European weekends which are omitted or not booked yet.

Also missing our big February winter break trip/ my Gulliver's birthday trip which is either going to be Amanwella or Maldives (Six Senses as per his requirements) or Pen BKK/Amansara/Six Senses Krabey Island.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:50 am
Original Member

I’m just going to Alaska for two weeks.
carls888, bhrubin and BESVISOR like this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Sep/Oct:

Chedi Andermatt
Andaz Singapore
PH Siem Reap
Amansara (site tour and dinner only )
Interconti HKG
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Le tousserok- shangri la Mauritius 16-23 August (4th stay there love it)
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by ngfan
Sep/Oct:

Chedi Andermatt
Andaz Singapore
PH Siem Reap
Amansara (site tour and dinner only )
Interconti HKG
Chedi Andermatt-Forever on my craplist:
1) We had a 2 bedroom apartment/suite booked. A full sized kitchen (large enough to include an island) was in the room. But no microwave or oven.
2) The food on property was average to bad. And yet for our group of four, 500 CHF per meal. For some reason a burger (with a slice of bacon on top of the bun, inexplicably), cost 50 CHF. I get that it's Switzerland and everything is expensive, but something went horribly wrong here.
3) On day 3 and tired of hotel food, I venture into the local coop. This lady can cook her own meals.
4) Back in the suite, a microwave or oven is nowhere to be found. I ring the front desk and ask if they can warm it for me. They are happy to oblige.
5) Service comes to my room to pick up the warm-up food. And returns 2 hours later saying that the property refuses to warm outside food. And they can't supply me with a microwave. I concede defeat out of sheer hunger and order room service.
6) When I checked out, I was charged a 70 CHF food warming fee. This is for food that wasn't warmed, and for which the hotel has a specific policy against warming.

The above would have been I guess OK if it wasn't for even more mishaps:
1) I booked an appointment to have my hair shampoo'd and blow dried for the next day. In a convention that I've never encountered before, I learned that the price of the shampoo blowdry ranges depending on the length of hair. They couldn't tell me the price because a stylist wasn't in.
2) The next day, the stylist tells me my hair will be charged at the maximum price, an obvious rip off. Let's not forget that I'm not sure who with short hair would pay to shampoo/blow dry their hair.
3) I cancelled the appointment, but wasn't warned that there would be a cancellation fee (which was the full price of the appointment). I saw it on the bill the next day. Interesting that the cancellation price was for shampooing and drying long hair, even thought the stylist ultimately did nothing. And had I known there was this stupid fee, I might have just gone through with the appointment anyways.

Aside from the above, all sorts of mistaken charges on my ski bill. Socks I didn't pay for, etc.

Management refused to take off any charges, except for the ski bill ones because they had an associated receipt that we could cross check things again.

A few weeks later, management changed mind (my travel team made a lot of noise with them for this experience). Got the charges refunded. A bottle of (nice?) champagne mailed to me. And a free night in a suite the next time I'm there.

I took the refund, gave the booze to a friend, and told them to shove it.
vuittonsofstyle and m3red like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:44 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
PH Melbourne is next. ROY will be pretty light as I’ve got some family stuff going on. But I’m looking to sneak out to either the FS Tunis or FS First Residence in Cairo and the FS Buenos Aires
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:43 pm

Travel plans keep changing. Currently:

Florence - Four Seasons
Lake Como - Il Sereno
Tell Aviv - The Norman
London - Chiltern Firehouse
Paris - Crillon
SF - Ritz
New Orleans - Maison de la Luz
Paris - Crillon
Barcelona - Mandarin Oriental
Seattle - Four Seasons
SF - STR
Vegas - Wynn
Rome - Fendi Suites
Singapore - Raffles
NYC - Greenwich Hotel
Paris - Crillon
Marrakech - Royal Mansour

That should get us to the end of the year :-)
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:46 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Finished with Summer Travels but decided to go check out the new FS Boston Dalton next weekend and get some lobster rolls
United747 and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Gold, National Exec
Heading to FS Oahu for a week at the end of August! Oahu isn't my favorite island but the waves (surfing) are supposed to be the best this time of year, and hopefully not as many kids as i've read the property shares the lagoon with Disney's Au'lani resort.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:42 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by mad07
Heading to FS Oahu for a week at the end of August! Oahu isn't my favorite island but the waves (surfing) are supposed to be the best this time of year, and hopefully not as many kids as i've read the property shares the lagoon with Disney's Au'lani resort.
Visited in Oct of 2017. They had finished a refresh and it's solid (as far as for old school high-rise Hawaiian hotels). But being next to Disney, it was insanely loud. Hope it will be calm for your visit but I'd be mentally/emotionally prepared for the noise. When shut, the sliding balcony doors did drown out the noise fairly well, so, there's that.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Still in the midst of the summer, rest of 2019 luxury and otherwise into 2020

Aug
Moscow: Ritz-Carlton (leaving tomorrow)
Elounda: Elounda Bay Palace
Elounda: Elounda Gulf Villas
Santorini: Anastassis Apartments
Naxos: 18 Grapes
Koufonisia: Koufonisia Hotel
Paros: Santa Andrea Resort

Sept
Paris: Hotel National des Arts et Metiers
Bar Harbor: TBD
Tulum: Ana y Jose
Hong Kong: The Pottinger
Hong Kong: Ritz Carlton
Helsinki: Hotel Kamp
Munich: Le Meridien
Munich: Westin
Munich: Kempinski
Kuwait City: Four Seasons
Bahrain: Ritz Carlton
Baku: JW Marriott
Baku: Four Seasons

Oct
Muscat: Ritz Carlton
Abu Dhabi: Ritz Carlton
Chicago: W City Center
Chicago: Ritz Carlton

Nov
Columbus: Hilton

Dec
Bombay: Intercon Marine Drive
Varkala: Gateway
Kovalem: Taj Green Cove
Venice: Gritti Palace
Toronto: TBD
Phu Quoc: JW Marriott

Jan
Saigon: TBD
Hakuba: Courtyard Marriott
Kyoto: Ritz Carlton
Kyoto: Hoshinoya Ryokan
Tokyo: Westin
Tokyo: Peninsula
Manila: Peninsula
Cebu City: Radisson I think?
Panglao Island: TBD
Bangkok: Peninsula
Luang Prabang: Amantaka
Chiang Rai: Four Seasons Golden Triangle
Chiang Mai: Anantara
Hong Kong: MO
Sydney: Shangri-La
Ayers Rock: 131 Degrees
Melbourne: Park Hyatt

Feb
Auckland: TBD
Santiago: Ritz Carlton
Easter Island: Explora
Sao Paulo: Renaissance
Iguazu Falls: Belmond
Rio: JW Marriott
Buzios: Villa d’Este
Sao Paulo: Palacio Tangara

that’s as far as i’ve gotten
HKTraveler likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Still in the midst of the summer, rest of 2019 luxury and otherwise into 2020

Aug
Moscow: Ritz-Carlton (leaving tomorrow)
Elounda: Elounda Bay Palace
Elounda: Elounda Gulf Villas
Santorini: Anastassis Apartments
Naxos: 18 Grapes
Koufonisia: Koufonisia Hotel
Paros: Santa Andrea Resort

Sept
Paris: Hotel National des Arts et Metiers
Bar Harbor: TBD
Tulum: Ana y Jose
Hong Kong: The Pottinger
Hong Kong: Ritz Carlton
Munich: Le Meridien
Munich: Westin
Munich: Kempinski
Kuwait City: Four Seasons
Bahrain: Ritz Carlton
Baku: JW Marriott
Baku: Four Seasons

Oct
Muscat: Ritz Carlton
Abu Dhabi: Ritz Carlton
Chicago: W City Center
Chicago: Ritz Carlton

Nov
Columbus: Hilton

Dec
Bombay: Intercon Marine Drive
Varkala: Gateway
Kovalem: Taj Green Cove
Venice: Gritti Palace
Toronto: TBD
Phu Quoc: JW Marriott

Jan
Saigon: TBD
Hakuba: Courtyard Marriott
Kyoto: Ritz Carlton
Kyoto: Hoshinoya Ryokan
Tokyo: Westin
Tokyo: Peninsula
Manila: Peninsula
Cebu City: Radisson I think?
Panglao Island: TBD
Bangkok: Peninsula
Luang Prabang: Amantaka
Chiang Rai: Four Seasons Golden Triangle
Chiang Mai: Anantara
Hong Kong: MO
Sydney: Shangri-La
Ayers Rock: 131 Degrees
Melbourne: Park Hyatt

Feb
Auckland: TBD
Easter Island: Explora
Sao Paulo: Renaissance
Iguazu Falls: Belmond
Rio: JW Marriott
Buzios: Villa d’Este
Sao Paulo: Palacio Tangara

that’s as far as i’ve gotten
Are you in the travel industry by any chance ?
I find it interesting that you stay at multiple hotels within the same city within the same stay like Munich etc ? 3 hotels ?
Also - SL in Sydney over PH ?
richarddd and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by Nizar
Are you in the travel industry by any chance ?
I find it interesting that you stay at multiple hotels within the same city within the same stay like Munich etc ? 3 hotels ?
Also - SL in Sydney over PH ?
Yeah the Courtyard Marriott isn't really "jetsetting," ahahahahaha.

Also in one of the months he's staying at 17 hotels. Assuming generously that he's traveling for the whole month, that means 1.76 nights per hotel? That seems weird. Why would anyone stay 1.76 nights at different hotels for an entire month? I'd rather kill myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.