Where are you going next?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where are you going next?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Only a handful of Luxury bookings for 2019

May:
L'Auberge Carmel, Carmel-by-the-Sea
Rosewood Beijing
The Fullerton Bay Hotel, Singapore

December:
Virunga Lodge, Rwanda

Majority of bookings this year have been destination focused, in a mix of Airbnb and nice hotels/lodges, but not what I would consider traditional luxury. Recently stayed in the Prior's Residence Suite at Casa Santo Domingo in Antigua, Guatemala. Gorgeous 1,000+ sq. ft. room with tropical hardwood finishes and large private terraces with volcano views, an outdoor dining area, and an outdoor sunken jacuzzi tub. Have an Airbnb rented on the grounds of a Pisco winery in the Elqui Valley of Chile for the total solar eclipse in July, and a birding lodge (individual thatched-roof Rondel-style huts with hardwood floors and panoramic views) 8,000 ft. up. in Colombia's Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta at the tail end of that trip. A coffee plantation stay in rural Antioquia (about 2hrs from Medellin), followed by a mountain hot springs resort near Pereira in November. And in December, a stay at Simien Lodge in Ethiopia (gorgeous scenery at 10,000ft along the Simien Escarpment, but definitely not luxury), before heading down to Rwanda for gorillas. A lot of the areas we have been interested in visiting lately have been sparse on the luxury accommodations, but the locations more than make up for it.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:13 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
And in December, a stay at Simien Lodge in Ethiopia (gorgeous scenery at 10,000ft along the Simien Escarpment, but definitely not luxury)
I'm drooling over your travel. I want you to plan travel for me.

We stayed at LimaLimo in the Simien Mountains last April. We loved it and would happily return. Our agent tried to do a naughty and after booking LimaLimo, alleged our booking was cancelled to make way for government folks to stay. We were then booked into the Simien Lodge. I got in touch with one of the owners at LimaLimo and found they had space for us. As best we can figure out, Simien Lodge was offering a higher commission to the agent. It might be a perfectly fine place to stay and is actually within the park. But my impression is that LimaLimo is a superior property. It has a stunning panoramic view from the patio overlooking the mountains. Wherever you stay, this is a special place to visit.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I'm drooling over your travel. I want you to plan travel for me.

We stayed at LimaLimo in the Simien Mountains last April. We loved it and would happily return. Our agent tried to do a naughty and after booking LimaLimo, alleged our booking was cancelled to make way for government folks to stay. We were then booked into the Simien Lodge. I got in touch with one of the owners at LimaLimo and found they had space for us. As best we can figure out, Simien Lodge was offering a higher commission to the agent. It might be a perfectly fine place to stay and is actually within the park. But my impression is that LimaLimo is a superior property. It has a stunning panoramic view from the patio overlooking the mountains. Wherever you stay, this is a special place to visit.
LimaLimo was our first choice, but sadly fully booked during the dates we needed. We are fully prepared for mediocre lodging and food, the main thing is the destination. Simien Mountains have been on our bucket list for years. Glad to hear from someone else who thought it was well worth the trip getting out there.
SanDiego1K and bhrubin like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:19 pm

On a flight to The Resort at Pedregal in Cabo San Lucas for five nights.

Just got back from the RC Central Park for two nights, where I stay often for work. I got upgraded to a corner park view suite, although on a low floor. It was nice: spacious, hardware in good shape, and a nice living room with 70 inch flat screen. With the recently renovated rooms, it is a good value relative to the St. Regis NY, in my opinion. Although I would stay at the StR all else equal.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:03 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
MAY
- Pico Bonito National Park, Honduras: The Lodge & Spa at Pico Bonito

JUNE
- Arches & Canyonlands National Park: Sorrel River Ranch

JULY
- Foz do Iguaçu / Iguazú Falls: Belmond Hotel das Cataracas (Master Cataratas Suite)
- Northern Pantanal: Pousada Piuval, Hotel Pantanal Norte - Porto Jofre
- Southern Pantanal: Fazenda Barranco Alto (Barranco Alto Eco-Lodge), Refúgio Ecológico Caiman (Caiman Ecological Refuge) - Cordilheira Lodge

SEPTEMBER
- Noto Peninsula, Japan: Yoshigaura Onsen Lamp no Yado
- Takayama, Gifu Prefecture, Japan: Honjin Hiranoya Kachoan
- Kyoto: Four Seasons Kyoto

NOVEMBER
- Lima: Belmond Miraflores Park Hotel
- Aqua Expeditions M/V Aria (4-night Amazon cruise for a second time)

DECEMBER
- Nicaragua: Jicaro Island Lodge

JANUARY 2020
- Windhoek, Namibia: N/a'an ku sę Lodge and Sanctuary
- NamibRand Nature Reserve, Namibia: Wolwedans Dunes Lodge (Mountain View Suite)
- Namib-Naukluft National Park, Namibia: &Beyond Sossusvlei Desert Lodge
- Kaokoveld, Namibia: Wilderness Safaris' Hoanib Skeleton Coast
- Hartmann Valley, Kaokaland West, Namibia: Wilderness Safaris' Serra Cafema
- Windhoek, Namibia: The Olive Exclusive

Preliminary 2020 plans include Alaska (Ultima Thule Lodge and Winterlake Lodge), Oaxaca (Casa Oaxaca), Yakushima, Japan (Sankara Hotel Yakushima), Naboisho Conservancy, Kenya (Mara Nyika), Samburu, Kenya (Sarara Camp), Tswalu Kalahari Reserve (Tswalu Motse), Makgadikgadi Pans, Botswana (Jack's Camp), Tetiaroa (The Brando) and potentially Zakouma National Park, Chad (Camp Nomade.)
SanDiego1K and bhrubin like this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:38 am

Have you thought about Wanosato in Takayama? Was there years ago but a serene country side setting with good service

Is FS your go to place in Kyoto now? Have yet to try it mostly due to its location
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:54 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Originally Posted by HKTraveler
Have you thought about Wanosato in Takayama? Was there years ago but a serene country side setting with good service

Is FS your go to place in Kyoto now? Have yet to try it mostly due to its location
We thought about Wanosato, but it's just too far away from Takayama itself. That was the logic behind Mrs. KI-NRT's choice, anyway (I was fine with either ryokan.) We'll probably stay at Wanosato in a future trip to the area, though (we go on one onsen ryokan trip a year with Mrs. KI-NRT and her mother.)

4S is my personal go-to hotel due to its proximity to her family and friends; your mileage may vary. Also, Wakon Sushi (at the 4S) is our favorite sushi place in all of Kyoto so that's a bonus, too.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Nothing else this year after all my health issues. I did get to enjoy the St Regis Bahia Beach in Jan. I will have to wait a bit while I heal up so my next trip is not until Feb 2020.
HKG 5 nights at the IC then off the Amanpulo.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by KI-NRT
4S is my personal go-to hotel due to its proximity to her family and friends; your mileage may vary. Also, Wakon Sushi (at the 4S) is our favorite sushi place in all of Kyoto so that's a bonus, too.
Thank you for the tip! Will try Wakon when I am in Kyoto next month
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter

LimaLimo was our first choice, but sadly fully booked during the dates we needed. We are fully prepared for mediocre lodging and food, the main thing is the destination. Simien Mountains have been on our bucket list for years. Glad to hear from someone else who thought it was well worth the trip getting out there.
We also stayed at LimaLimo. The hard product and design were very much to our liking. Simien Lodge, however, is on the edge of the national park, so if the objective is to maximize time in the park, it's not a bad place to be. Food-wise, LimaLimo was better than most other places we stayed in Ethiopia, but that isn't saying much.

To be sure, the Simiens are lovely.

I'm not surprised about the issues with the agent switching the booking to get a higher commission. We were wore down after about 10 days having always to be on the lookout for the next scam or hustle, despite having arranged for a very high-end tour with private guides and cars throughout.

Also in the general area is Gheralta Lodge, which offers great views. For Ethiopia, the accommodations and food weren't bad. Climbing in the mountains to some of the rock-hewn churches will certainly put hair on your chest.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:24 pm

We just bought a house so there is only one luxury trip this year: Fogo Island Inn, in June. I am really looking forward to it!
ABG, specboi and bhrubin like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: LH Senator, CX Diamond, UA Prem Plat, Fans of MO Elite
Just checked in at MO Tokyo - looking forward to going to Ashikaga to see the wisteria blooms.
In a few weeks...MO Milan.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:12 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
January: Crosby Street Hotel, NYC
Feb: Four Seasons SF, Park Hyatt DC
March: Fairmont SF, Four Seasons SF
April: Villa la Coste, Four Seasons Joberg, Four Seasons Geneva
May: Crillon Paris, Crosby Street Hotel, Park Hyatt DC
June: Rosewood BK, Rosewood HK. Amantaka
July: Savoy Hotel Lausseane
August: Four Seasons Florence, haven’t decided for Jerusalem (any tips?)
September: Four Seasons SF
October: Rosewood London, MO Barcelona
November: Haven’t decided for Singapore
December: Crosby Street Hotel

Might try to squeeze in Rome in November or December with a stay at the Fendi suites.
United747 and ajca like this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by sophialite

August: haven’t decided for Jerusalem (any tips?)
I "suggest" you adjust your expectations downwards haha. I don't think there are ANY good hotels in Israel. Don't expect much from the King David if you stay there in Jerusalem.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:17 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
To placate @FlyerEC, here are our future stays:

April (leaving today, in fact, for our 9th wedding anniversary!):

Ritz-Carlton Bacara Santa Barbara
Ventana Big Sur, Alila

May:

Ritz-Carlton Half Moon Bay
Calistoga Ranch, Auberge
St Regis San Francisco

June:

Ritz-Carlton Washington or Georgetown
Ritz-Carlton Boston

July:

SLS Beverly Hills, Luxury Collection

Sept:

21c Museum Louisville

Oct:

Hotel D'Angleterre Copenhagen
Grand Bretagne Athens, Luxury Collection
Mystique Santorini, Luxury Collection
Prince de Galles Paris, Luxury Collection
St Regis San Francisco

Nov:

Palace San Francisco, Luxury Collection
Ritz-Carlton San Francisco
St Regis San Francisco

Dec:

St Regis San Francisco
St Regis Mexico City

Jan 2020::

Chable Yucatan (my 50th bday)
Hotel Esencia Tulum (my 50th bday)

Feb 2020:

Mar 2020:

Ritz-Carlton Georgetown
Ritz-Carlton Washington
Ritz-Carlton Boston

April 2020:

Ritz-Carlton Boston
Ritz-Carlton Georgetown or Washington
Scotland 10th anniversary trip to include:
Boath House Nairn (where we got engaged)
Kinloch Lodge Skye
Gleneagles Hotel Perth
Glasgow hotel TBD
Edinburgh hotel TBD
FlyerEC likes this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Apr 23, 2019 at 7:55 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.