Where are you going next?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where are you going next?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:11 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Have booked a stay at the Siam in Bangkok in February and will go to Bali again in April. In Bali we will try out two different villas first and thereafter stay at Amankila. Thinking about all of this makes me believe that I will survive the winter.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

soori may also be worth considering: from reports here (including in past from amanjunkies) , before nearby area (so far, more like kila location) gets a big resort development , and recently they started booking this beachfront villa as 1BR >
sooribali.com/accommodation-deluxeoceanpoolvilla
sooribali.com/img/site_images/pdfs/soori-bali-deluxe-ocean-pool-villa-fp.pdf

hope the villas are good !
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin

Most only take the Hiram Bingham train one way, either to or from MP. We did it both ways and are thrilled we did, but it’s obviously much more expensive than other options. The experience was fabulous, the food was great, and the scenery on the trip up to MP was grand. The dinner on the way back was better, and the HB train is the last to depart MP thereby allowing more time that day at MP. So pick your poison.
When did you take the HB? When we went 10 years ago we were supposed to take the HB both ways. Due to a cancellation we ended up taking what was then called the Vista Dome up to MP and then the HB after an overnight stay at the Sanctuary Lodge. I remember that the food at dinner was terrible and that service was one of the most egregious pseudo-luxury services I have ever encountered. To add insult to injury, Belmond tried to refuse a refund for the difference in train fares until I escalated it to a senior contact at the company. Perhaps things have improved. Despite the required transfer from Cuzco, we enjoyed the Vista Dome much more because it allowed for better viewing of the scenery and no one was trying to put on a show of fake formality for people who had large sums to ride the train.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jja34-1
When did you take the HB? When we went 10 years ago...food at dinner was terrible and that service was one of the most egregious pseudo-luxury services I have ever encountered
descending by date, first quote posted mar 28 2017 >

Originally Posted by LM225
We took the Hiram Bingham up.
Originally Posted by luxtrvlwrks
November [2015]
HB back.
May 2013
Hiram Bingham...great food

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 30, 2018 at 3:16 pm
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:01 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
When did you take the HB? When we went 10 years ago we were supposed to take the HB both ways. Due to a cancellation we ended up taking what was then called the Vista Dome up to MP and then the HB after an overnight stay at the Sanctuary Lodge. I remember that the food at dinner was terrible and that service was one of the most egregious pseudo-luxury services I have ever encountered. To add insult to injury, Belmond tried to refuse a refund for the difference in train fares until I escalated it to a senior contact at the company. Perhaps things have improved. Despite the required transfer from Cuzco, we enjoyed the Vista Dome much more because it allowed for better viewing of the scenery and no one was trying to put on a show of fake formality for people who had large sums to ride the train.
We were there in May 2013.

We had amazing scenery on the Hiram Bingham...both from our dining car and the rear observation car that had mostly glass walls and ceiling, allowing for maximal views. The views were much better on the outbound trip to Machu Picchu because it was earlier In the day. Also, the dinner service on the return was longer than the lunch service on the outbound, so you had a little more time to wander the train on the way up.

We saw no fake formality on either ride—just people enjoying the amazing train ride and views, the wonderful food and beverage, and the excellent service. I do believe some people can project their own insecurity in such a rarefied environment, but I was in shorts, a tee shirt, and flip flops. And no one batted an eye to me or treated me any differently than anyone else—passenger and crew alike. Of course, I live in SoCal where everyone dresses more casually regardless of how wealthy one may or may not be...so I’m also quite accustomed to being dressed down in environments where many others might be dressier. I could care less.
Ksw299 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:49 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

To echo @bhrubin, we took the HB in March 2017 and had a great experience.

The views were excellent, the food was quite good for a train, and the service was warm (not stuffy). It was my wife's birthday and they had the band play a song for her, and brought us a cake.

We also took it from Belmond Rio Sagrado, which I'd highly recommend doing.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:37 am

We saw no fake formality on either ride—just people enjoying the amazing train ride and views, the wonderful food and beverage, and the excellent service. I do believe some people can project their own insecurity in such a rarefied environment, but I was in shorts, a tee shirt, and flip flops. And no one batted an eye to me or treated me any differently than anyone else—passenger and crew alike. Of course, I live in SoCal where everyone dresses more casually regardless of how wealthy one may or may not be...so I’m also quite accustomed to being dressed down in environments where many others might be dressier. I could care less.
It seems that service levels have improved. Our ride was missing any kind of warmth or luxury service of the type that you and LM225 described. It was just staff going through the motions serving people a menu that seemed more appropriate for the Orient Express in the 1950s than Peru in the 2000s. This was also consistent with our experience at the Belmond properties in Peru. Some of them were stunning and had wonderful stuff and at others the staff was indifferent and the décor and activities were outdated. I know they've been through a revamp so hopefully things have improved greatly since my trip.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
We took the HB last year on the way down and was really disappointed. Much preferred the other train which took us up. The HB was full of noisy people and the music area was like a disco. Yes the pre-boarding was more upmarket but service on board was pretty ordinary.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
Originally Posted by Musken
Have booked a stay at the Siam in Bangkok in February and will go to Bali again in April. In Bali we will try out two different villas first and thereafter stay at Amankila. Thinking about all of this makes me believe that I will survive the winter.
The Siam is really lovely. Recommend you take the hotel boat to the flower market once you have settled in and buy a few big bunches of orchids. Catch the boat back but you need to call the hotel or they won't stop at the jetty or organise with your butler to get them to pick you up.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:45 am

My next trip is to Paris and Kuala Lumpur in a week's time. Staying at Hotel Lancaster and Ritz Paris. In KL, Alila Bangsar, FS and Ruma. Then Belmond Napasai (Ko Samui) and St Regis KL in February.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: LH Senator, CX Diamond, UA Prem Plat, Fans of MO Elite
Back at The Fontenay Hamburg
MO Milan in a few days
MO Tokyo later this month
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:47 am

In April, following our big trip to Peru, Ecuador and Colombia:

Four Seasons Seoul
Westin Resort, Guam
Silversea cruise from Guam to Kobe, via Northern Marianas and Ogasawara Islands
Four Seasons Kyoto
Four Seasons Seoul
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA GS, Alaska MVP 50, Marriott 100 night, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
December travels

Just wrapped up a stretch of Prince Gallery Tokyo, StR Singapore, Six Sense Con Dao, and Azerai Can Tho.

Next 2 weeks will be StR BKK, both Le Meridiens in Bhutan, and JW in Singapore (with a couple of nights in Kathmandu as well).

Trip report to follow, but I cannot find enough good things to say about Azerai Can Tho and the new GM Serge (he just arrived from Amanyara. I never thought I would hear my wife say she would consider making a return trip to Can Tho, but we had such an amazing time at the property, we are actually thinking about coming back next year and combining with the new Azerai in Hue.
Having stayed at the Azerai (now Avani) in Luang Prabang last year, there is no comparing the two properties (though we also loved our time at that one as well).
Let me know if anyone is interested, I’m happy to connect you with Serge.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by SeeingtheWorldfromIndy
Just wrapped up a stretch of Prince Gallery Tokyo, StR Singapore, Six Sense Con Dao, and Azerai Can Tho.
Interested in your review of the two Vietnam properties, especially SS Con Dao. I've been kicking the tires on Vietnam for a while, but the ideal month for pleasant weather for Con Dao & Southern Vietnam seems all over the map from what I've read online.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Pausanias
In April, following our big trip to Peru, Ecuador and Colombia:

Four Seasons Seoul
Westin Resort, Guam
Silversea cruise from Guam to Kobe, via Northern Marianas and Ogasawara Islands
Four Seasons Kyoto
Four Seasons Seoul
Hope you'll get the cherry blossoms in Kansai and Kyoto!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.