Wiki Posts
Search

Where are you going next?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 3:31 am

Just two trips for us planned at the moment:

Four Seasons Tunis (Tunisia) for a short break in May
Royal Mansour (Morocco) for a short break for our anniversary in June

Havent given a thought to our other dates yet.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pausanias
aa213bb - Many thanks for your thoughts about Peru and I'm glad you had such a great time. Our first thoughts were to go to the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu but we backed out of the whole thing in the end. Did you go to Machu? The altitude was a worry for us (but it might not have been so if we actually got there) as well as the tourist hordes. We are not hikers, much less mountain lions. We planned on staying at Sol y Luna and after we nixed the Sanctuary Lodge that whole sector fell apart. We just love the look of the weird scenery and the wildlife on the coast south of Lima.

I'm very drawn to Titilaka - that looks stunning and there's a trip we are planning to approach it via Paraguay (Jesuit Missiones) and Bolivia (for the silver towns). Then maybe give the Sacred Valley another look.

In the UK we have a popular TV show called Masterchef which I follow. And last week the final four contestants went to Lima to cook for Martinez at his restaurant. Must say it looked extraordinary and we plan on going . . . We are still dithering over the Lima hotel but at the moment I'm preferring the character of Hotel B to the sleek modernity of the Belmond.

Any further thoughts very welcome. There's so much to see and do in this region.
Definitely Hotel B - much nicer and with very good food.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:49 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I can’t speak to Hotel B but I can say that we had a truly impressive stay at the Belmond Miraflores Park hotel. It isn’t a looker from the outside, but it’s as close to a Four Seasons/St Regis hotel as there is in the city. The suites were extremely spacious and comfortable, the service was excellent, and the food and beverage were world class. The location is far more convenient to the best restaurants, too, compared to Hotel B: Central, Astrid y Gaston, Maido, Malabar, etc are all north of the Miraflores. You actually easily can walk to Central and Maido from the Belmond.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I can’t speak to Hotel B but I can say that we had a truly impressive stay at the Belmond Miraflores Park hotel. It isn’t a looker from the outside, but it’s as close to a Four Seasons/St Regis hotel as there is in the city. The suites were extremely spacious and comfortable, the service was excellent, and the food and beverage were world class. The location is far more convenient to the best restaurants, too, compared to Hotel B: Central, Astrid y Gaston, Maido, Malabar, etc are all north of the Miraflores. You actually easily can walk to Central and Maido from the Belmond.
But, given that it is Pausanias, I think he would prefer Hotel B!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 1:18 pm

One caveat for Hotel B. There’s construction ongoing right next door. Forgot to mention that upthread.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 1:02 am

Quite a bit coming up.

May:
  • Grand Hotel Bretagne
  • Amanzoe
  • Villa Feltrinelli
  • Il Sereno
  • Four Seasons Florence
  • Hotel Eden, Rome
June:
  • Cheval Blanc Randheli
  • Velaa Private Island
  • Soneva Jani

July
  • Baur au Lac
  • Park Hotel Vitznau

August
  • Somewhere in New York (haven't been in so long that the last time I went I could barely afford a 4 star hotel, so need a bit of brushing up)
  • The Rosewood, Vancouver
  • Clayoquot Wilderness Resort
  • Hotel Bel-Air
  • Four Seasons Lanai
  • Kokomo Private Island
  • Laucala
  • The Peninsula Beverly Hills
  • Amangani
  • The Setai, Miami

Royal Champagne Hotel & Spa is reopening in July and Vincent, the Director of F&B is ex-Connaught and ex-Peninsula Paris. Everything Vincent touches is a culinary delight, so if they're offering very good initial opening rates then that may come up on the radar too.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jack David Institute
Thanks for the info. I'm going to be paying for the family vacation. They'll be around 20 of us, a few children too, will Rosewood Mayakoba have enough to do for both adults and children?
For sure!
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:02 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
April:

Four Seasons Atlanta
St Regis Atlanta (pre-upgraded to St Regis corner suite)

May:

Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, Luxury Collection
Suiran Kyoto, Luxury Colllection (cash discounted upgrade to Presidential Suite)
Ritz-Carlton Kyoto (pre-upgraded to Kanogawa Suite)
St Regis Osaka

June:

St Regis San Francisco (pre-upgraded to Metropolitan Suite)

Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:29 pm

I was going to shangri la Maldives until I asked about their drone policy.... This is their email.

Further to your concern, please be advised that we only allow the usage of drones in the resort depending on the resort’s occupancy however it will only be limited in our Golf course area as a special case.

Please note that in general we do not allow the use of drones in the resort - to protect the guests’ stay and privacy. As the resort is rather quiet during this period, we may allow the usage of the drone for as long as no other guest is disturbed or privacy interrupted, otherwise should we receive any guest complaint we will have to prohibit the use of the same.

Of course..
​​​​​​If you have to complain, your privacy is already violated
United747, QPRfan and bhrubin like this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:39 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by surftb15
I was going to shangri la Maldives until I asked about their drone policy.... This is their email.

Further to your concern, please be advised that we only allow the usage of drones in the resort depending on the resort’s occupancy however it will only be limited in our Golf course area as a special case.

Please note that in general we do not allow the use of drones in the resort - to protect the guests’ stay and privacy. As the resort is rather quiet during this period, we may allow the usage of the drone for as long as no other guest is disturbed or privacy interrupted, otherwise should we receive any guest complaint we will have to prohibit the use of the same.

Of course..
​​​​​​If you have to complain, your privacy is already violated
I don’t even understand that answer...

As for me, switched out the Ritz Paris for FS George V on advice of my TA. And I haven’t pulled the trigger yet on Tokyo, waiting to see if the family trip to Hawaii comes through.
surftb15 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by United747

I don’t even understand that answer...

As for me, switched out the Ritz Paris for FS George V on advice of my TA. And I haven’t pulled the trigger yet on Tokyo, waiting to see if the family trip to Hawaii comes through.
It doesn't make any sense. I asked for some clarification on the issue but I doubt I'll stay bc the answer is contradictory and unprofessional
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:21 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by aa213bb
One caveat for Hotel B. There’s construction ongoing right next door. Forgot to mention that upthread.
And another caveat - watch out for currency conversion games at checkout.

My booking was made in a rate in Peruvian Sols, as was the folio they showed me at checkout. But when I got home, I realized that they charged my card in USD (without asking) at a hilariously out-of-whack conversion rate. It took a couple of emails to get them to refund the difference (at first they resisted and tried to offer an upgrade on our next stay).

The hotel is very charming. We were there during flooding in Lima that unfortunately cut off water to much of the city (including Barranco) at the time, but the staff handled it well. I think you'll enjoy it.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Quite a bit coming up.

May:
  • Grand Hotel Bretagne
  • Amanzoe
  • Villa Feltrinelli
  • Il Sereno
  • Four Seasons Florence
  • Hotel Eden, Rome
June:
  • Cheval Blanc Randheli
  • Velaa Private Island
  • Soneva Jani

July
  • Baur au Lac
  • Park Hotel Vitznau

August
  • Somewhere in New York (haven't been in so long that the last time I went I could barely afford a 4 star hotel, so need a bit of brushing up)
  • The Rosewood, Vancouver
  • Clayoquot Wilderness Resort
  • Hotel Bel-Air
  • Four Seasons Lanai
  • Kokomo Private Island
  • Laucala
  • The Peninsula Beverly Hills
  • Amangani
  • The Setai, Miami

Royal Champagne Hotel & Spa is reopening in July and Vincent, the Director of F&B is ex-Connaught and ex-Peninsula Paris. Everything Vincent touches is a culinary delight, so if they're offering very good initial opening rates then that may come up on the radar too.
What a great list MacMyDay. Especially keen to hear your views on Il Sereno as it's been on my list for ages (as well as their St Barths property) and haven't seen any reports. Also Villa Feltrinelli is my absolute favourite, so I hope it is equally magical for you too.
offerendum and Annalisa12 like this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 1:58 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
After trying to make a few trips for this & next month in vain , have at least sorted part of June .
Was hoping to be in Melaka , Kuala Lumpur - MOKL & ? , .. but the ( Malaysia ) elections were announced . Then intended to have some “ rescue “ done at Chiva - som , Hua Hin ( for the excesses of our March / April French Polynesia & New Zealand trip ) but it will be closed for renovations in May & only reopens November . The stay at MOBKK will likely not happen as with the one for AmanYY ‘ s opening reception this Saturday .

We will be in Kila & Nusa Villas in early June .

Looks like E & O in Penang in October with possibly the aborted stops this / next month .Then Chiangmai which will go into early November , still deciding if FS or ? Then fly across to Chiva - som & MOBKK .

Mid November Dec : AmanTokyo , Nemu & RC Kyoto
Still filling in the gaps - hopefully Lupaia ( www.lupaia.com - Vienna residents ‘ inn ) , AmanCGV. AmanSS & ?? . But really looking ambitious & possibly too crammed for this October .
Too hot earlier & closing in November

Last edited by FlyerEC; Apr 24, 2018 at 2:08 pm
Old Apr 28, 2018, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I'm so boring compared to others.
ABG likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.