Where are you going next?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where are you going next?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Have to disagree. That is still by far the tackiest hotel I have ever been to in my life.
You've stayed since they added the pool deck?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by jonjparr
The deck may be a nice addition but it doesn´t change the whole hotel. Or were there further changes?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:39 am

Planing a trip to Bodrum Turkey, MO looks nice but the property looks too big with a nightclub on the beach!
We might pick Six Senses for a week with a few nights in amanruya as I hear it will reopen.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
The deck may be a nice addition but it doesn´t change the whole hotel. Or were there further changes?
I don’t think anybody could argue that the pool facilities at Burj al Arab were up to the standard expected prior to the addition of the pool deck. They weren’t at all but my original point was that the addition of the pool deck vastly improved the leisure facilities on offer. Yes, the Burj al Arab is gaudy, tacky and at times vulgar but that doesn’t really make it a terrible hotel nor does it make the pool deck bad. In my opinion it’s still a pretty solid choice for Dubai.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

No objection! Personally I didn´t have a problem with the facilities even before the addition. Also you can use the facilities of the other hotels, didn´t try Mandiat but Executive Pool at Jumeirah Beach. Also liked the Water Park. Nevertheless I would never spend more than 3 nights or so in Dubai.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:28 pm

I think, I will next move to Russia.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 2:02 am

We are leaving in a few days for our 5 week escapade, which is all confirmed as below. We were going to come back via Hawaii/LA, but I really wanted to try Southern Ocean Lodge as otherwise it would have been twice now I've had to cancel it.

Park Hyatt Sydney
Qualia
Park Hyatt Melbourne
Saffire Freycinet
Matakuri Lodge
The Farm, Cape Kidnappers
InterContinental, Tahiti
Four Seasons Bora Bora
The Brando
Southern Ocean Lodge
Old Mar 4, 2018, 2:38 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
We are leaving in a few days for our 5 week escapade, which is all confirmed as below. We were going to come back via Hawaii/LA, but I really wanted to try Southern Ocean Lodge as otherwise it would have been twice now I've had to cancel it.

Park Hyatt Sydney
Qualia
Park Hyatt Melbourne
Saffire Freycinet
Matakuri Lodge
InterContinental, Tahiti
Four Seasons Bora Bora
The Brando
Southern Ocean Lodge
Here we go again , when are you in Saffire ? Please let me know what the weather is like when you are there . Trying to decide when to return .

Also when are you in Matakauri ?
InterContinental , Papeete ? &
The Brando

Think just missing both of you again .
We are in Papeete pre & post cruise , NZ too .

Rather hot in Auckland at the moment .
Hotels are running at full occupancy - with Bruno Mars concerts , Volvo Ocean Race , CNY celebrations , etcetera

Originally Posted by Anlun
Revised all my travel plans this year after spending a very frustrating time trying to book Maldives or Amanpulo for next Xmas. Too many fees and annoying travel dates to commit so we revised all our entire trip schedule. New confirmed plan is
Third week of June: Barcelona 7 days, probably RC for some of those days
Nov 9-26: China, still working on itinerary but confirmed KAL F JFK-PEK, and CX J Shanghai-HKG-JFK
Feb 12-18- Amanpulo, confirmed SQ suites JFK-FRA-SIN, then J SIN-MLA, and KAL F return. Hopefully SQ updates to the new suites by the time we head out.
You possibly will be in new SQ Suites , since your are flying next Feb
Should be a lovely time for Pulo .

Thinking of returning ourselves , if we need to make a trip to MNL in April , may include Pulo but think it will be too hot for us . So end of the year or January / February ??

Last edited by FlyerEC; Mar 4, 2018 at 2:58 am
Old Mar 4, 2018, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Park Hyatt Sydney
Qualia
Park Hyatt Melbourne
Saffire Freycinet
Matakuri Lodge
InterContinental, Tahiti
Four Seasons Bora Bora
The Brando
Southern Ocean Lodge
Very nice journey, looking forward for the report.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Here we go again , when are you in Saffire ? Please let me know what the weather is like when you are there . Trying to decide when to return .

Also when are you in Matakauri ?
InterContinental , Papeete ? &
The Brando

Think just missing both of you again .
We are in Papeete pre & post cruise , NZ too .
Lucie mentioned your dates and we're missing you by a matter of days in New Zealand - I think at one point we were even going to see you in Cape Kidnappers, until we both changed it. We're in Saffire on the 16th, and arrive into PPT on the 26th. I will, of course, take plenty of photos across all properties and let you know how it the weather is. Thanks to yourself and other FTers, I'm excited the most now about Saffire (after The Brando).
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:35 am

Park Hyatt Sydney
Qualia
Park Hyatt Melbourne
Saffire Freycinet
Matakuri Lodge
InterContinental, Tahiti
Four Seasons Bora Bora
The Brando
Southern Ocean Lodge
This looks incredible! Really looking forward to the report, it should help us with our AU/NZ planning.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 12:22 pm

I reckon Macmyday will spend about 24hours in airports on that trip and that doesn't include the flying time or the transfers to the hotels. I look at that itinerary and see a luxury cruise with no need to change hotels at all and no need to pack and unpack . . . even so I'm looking forward specifically to his account of Tasmania (which I don't know at all) and French Polynesia which I know very well.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pausanias
I reckon Macmyday will spend about 24hours in airports on that trip and that doesn't include the flying time or the transfers to the hotels. I look at that itinerary and see a luxury cruise with no need to change hotels at all and no need to pack and unpack . . . even so I'm looking forward specifically to his account of Tasmania (which I don't know at all) and French Polynesia which I know very well.
OK, guess will not be the most relaxed journey.... But it’s 5 weeks. Would be interesting how these days are splitted between the properties.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by jonjparr
Yes. I was there in Aug/Sept '17.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 1:48 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Avoid the InterContinental Papeete at all costs. My TripAdvisor review from May 2016, which has been echoed by numerous peers here in the Luxury Forum:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...y_Islands.html

There really isn't a good luxury option in Papeete, but the IC was so bad that I'd consider any alternative--perhaps the slightly more distant Le Méridien Papeete.
Originally Posted by Five Star Traveller
We stayed at the Hilton Moorea a few years back in what is now the Premium Panoramic OWB. This is the most desirable room category at the resort if you want a view. I think the Hilton has the best hard product in Moorea, but it is definitely not luxury. At 62 sqm, our OWB was much smaller than similar water villas in Bora Bora or the Maldives.
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Thanks much Pausanias & bhrubin .
Will have to look into suggested options , hopefully the “ decent ” rooms / suites are still available .
Well , we ended up having to stick with Intercontinental . Overnight in an OWB now pre cruise & again post cruise . It was with great trepidation that we opted not to move around as arranging the other options was proving tricky with scheduling with others & availability of preferred suites .
Macmyday knows about the numerous changes that were made on this trip .
Plus crossing the International Dateline twice - a friend gets to enjoy his birthday twice !
Should be visiting another friend at Hilton Moorea too .

Anyway , bhrubin , am glad you complained , thank you ! Check in was smooth . It was a relief to step in to our OTW bungalow after the rather stifling airport routine despite the welcome dance . Lovely to step onto our deck & into the sea soon after getting to the OTW .

Very pleased too that the air conditioning is just right for folks like us - almost “ freezing “ ! Best so far on this trip too & as NZ is experiencing her hottest summer we could have done with something similar in Auckland .
( With the Volvo Ocean Race , etcetera the hotels were at capacity . Since Auckland doesn’t seem to have real luxury options either , we ended up in suites at CityLife & Heritage . They were large enough , with the view of the unblocked harbour better than the corner CityLife suite . We were considering Hilton but the preferred suite was unavailable & also quite a trek ( for me ) to where we wanted to get to daily except for The Race Village .
Our last hotel stay on this trip , will be after the really nice ones , where we return to the Heritage .

Pausanias , the Paul Gauguin staterooms are rather too small for us but would have liked to sail on them though not possible on this trip as involves a few of us . As it is , 2 have yet to arrive . If not we may have a really miss the boat situation ..

Last edited by FlyerEC; Mar 7, 2018 at 2:08 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.