Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Where are you going next?

Where are you going next?

Old Jun 1, 2020, 2:04 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
I'm sorry but I just have to disagree with that. Dubai has very little local culture, so it's definitely not a perfect mix of anything but sterility and material consumption. I don't even think the beaches are that great. And I say this as someone who's been to Dubai consistently since 1995, and seen it transform from what it was then to what it is today.

If you want local culture, head to Oman, Jordan, Iran, Lebanon, Egypt, Turkey, and Israel although probably not in the same trip...
Old Jun 1, 2020, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by sophialite
I'm sorry but I just have to disagree with that. Dubai has very little local culture, so it's definitely not a perfect mix of anything but sterility and material consumption. I don't even think the beaches are that great. And I say this as someone who's been to Dubai consistently since 1995, and seen it transform from what it was then to what it is today.

If you want local culture, head to Oman, Jordan, Iran, Lebanon, Egypt, Turkey, and Israel although probably not in the same trip...
I'm not sure I totally agree with this. Dubai itself has the old city and its attendant bazaar and waterway. That makes for an interesting half-day. But if you take Dubai as a city within a much larger country - the UAE - then there is a lot of cultural interest. I once rented a car in Abu Dhabi and drove around all seven of the Emirates - people on this Forum would probably be astonished by Umm al Qaiwan (or Quwain) or sections of Ras al Khaimah. There are some ancient trading forts, lots of desert scenery and some extraordinary modern architecture. I first went to this region in the early 1980s and, boy, some of it has it changed being all recognition while other parts haven't.

It's true there is probably more to see in Oman, Jordan, Iran etc but the Gulf is still relatively undiscovered. And of course Saudi Arabia (not everyone's glass of tea) is opening up . . .
Old Jun 1, 2020, 2:25 am

I might give you that, but even you admit that the local culture in Dubai can be done in half a day, so I think my point at least about Dubai stands. Regarding the UAE as a whole, I might be willing to concede that.
offerendum likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sophialite

Except fro Iran and Lebanon, I actually did the other countries on one trip and it was fantastic.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 8:05 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
HK just announced visitor ban until 9/18. I guess I'll be cancelling MOHK, and likely all Asian countries planned for August/September. Probably best to stay CONUS for a while?
Old Jun 2, 2020, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by ChateauMargaux
HK just announced visitor ban until 9/18. I guess I'll be cancelling MOHK, and likely all Asian countries planned for August/September. Probably best to stay CONUS for a while?
Most would say it's best to stay away from CONUS for a while... Iceland is one safe option.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 8:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Did a staycation at the Bulgari Dubai a couple weeks ago and really enjoyed it.

Hotel was running at max occupancy which = 50% capacity. Wasn't crowded at all, beach was open with plenty of distance between guests and service was as good as ever. A couple restaurants were open and as mentioned, tons of distance between guests and food as good as I always remember it to be.

Twice daily housekeeping is still there and all employees were in masks. Overall, a very pleasant stay and glad to see they've been able to maintain service and quality standards.

A random tidbit, but after a guest checks out, they clean the room and then let it "air out" for 24 hours before selling the room again - one of the new COVID measures I imagine.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by HumbleBee
Most would say it's best to stay away from CONUS for a while... Iceland is one safe option.
Can't really stay away if ya live here... Not really interested in Iceland's cold and outdoorsy stuff. Was really hoping for some big city and hot SE Asian weather

Got three trips booked for early September, let's see which gets canceled first!

1. HKG (MOHK), CNX (Le Meridien), BKK (WA, Hilton Sukhumvit), DPS (Alila, Kila) - 10% probability of it happening given HK's extended restrictions.
2. SAF (Rosewood, Loretto) - 90% chance; definitely a fall back. Hopefully by then White Sands park opens up too.
3. LON (Connaught), LIS (Bairro Alto) - 50% chance of it happening.

Let's hope Connaught opens up by then. Otherwise might switch to MO.
United747 likes this.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Jun 5, 2020 at 3:34 pm Reason: Consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 6, 2020, 8:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Pausanias
I'm not sure I totally agree with this. Dubai itself has the old city and its attendant bazaar and waterway. That makes for an interesting half-day. But if you take Dubai as a city within a much larger country - the UAE - then there is a lot of cultural interest. I once rented a car in Abu Dhabi and drove around all seven of the Emirates - people on this Forum would probably be astonished by Umm al Qaiwan (or Quwain) or sections of Ras al Khaimah. There are some ancient trading forts, lots of desert scenery and some extraordinary modern architecture. I first went to this region in the early 1980s and, boy, some of it has it changed being all recognition while other parts haven't.

It's true there is probably more to see in Oman, Jordan, Iran etc but the Gulf is still relatively undiscovered. And of course Saudi Arabia (not everyone's glass of tea) is opening up . . .
The best thing I can say about Dubai is at least it's not Bahrain .
cruisr, FlyerEC and Pausanias like this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 1:59 pm

Headed to Villa La Coste and Grand Hotel du Cap Ferrat next week for about a month. Should be glorious after two weeks at Ett Hem last month.
Goodmorning2U likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 8:37 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Back from a week at Montage Palmetto Bluff...was great to get away but that didn't quite do the trick
Maldives ended up being too complicated this summer so I'm pushing it till fall or 2021 and just booked...

July:
Amanera - 5 nights
FS Surfclub - 4 nights
MicSanToro likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 1:30 am
Suspended

Florida

Australia

Last edited by RichardInSF; Jun 17, 2020 at 8:53 am Reason: Consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 17, 2020, 3:39 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by bandbconsulting
Australia
Coming from the USA ?
Good luck
Old Jun 17, 2020, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by ChateauMargaux
Can't really stay away if ya live here... Not really interested in Iceland's cold and outdoorsy stuff. Was really hoping for some big city and hot SE Asian weather

Got three trips booked for early September, let's see which gets canceled first!

1. HKG (MOHK), CNX (Le Meridien), BKK (WA, Hilton Sukhumvit), DPS (Alila, Kila) - 10% probability of it happening given HK's extended restrictions.
2. SAF (Rosewood, Loretto) - 90% chance; definitely a fall back. Hopefully by then White Sands park opens up too.

Let's hope Connaught opens up by then. Otherwise might switch to MO.
New plans, I know I made the right bet on which would get canceled first...
1. HKG (MOHK), CNX (Le Meridien), BKK (WA, Hilton Sukhumvit), DPS (Alila, Kila) - 10% probability of it happening given HK's extended restrictions. Planning for fall 2021.
4. SAF (Loretto), MIA (Edition, FS Brickell, FS Surf Club) - 75% chance, depending on what the covid situation is in Miami in the coming months.
5. BWI (Sagamore Pendry) - 75% chance, depending on if the pool will be open come July.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Short trip to Des Indes The Hague.
On my list for many years but never worked out. Thanks Corona travel distances get shorter
SanDiego1K and MSPeconomist like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.