Where are you going next?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where are you going next?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2020, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by uclabruin82
So I now have four trips reserved for New Years, all refundable. Who wants to guess which one, if at all, I am able to actually take!

1) Paris (Crillon or PH) + Marrakesh (Amanjena) (could easily be modified to just Morocco or just Europe)
2) Tokyo (Peninsula) + Kyoto (Split between PH & Aman)
3) Rio (Fasano) + Buzios (Insolito) (could also add Buenos Aires as well)
4) Sydney (TBD) + Byron Bay (TBD)
My guess is 1 or 2. I spent NYE at Amanjena a few years ago and it was magical.

The Australian government has consistently said they do not envision opening the borders to tourism until 2021 and one of the ministers in Queensland has gone on the record saying that even if the borders do open her state will not want any foreign tourists until some time in 2021. Byron may be in NSW but the most convenient way to get there is via OOL just over the border in QLD.
Old May 1, 2020, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by behuman
I hope for our US friends that Brazil will open first, as the EU / Schengen area is most likely to remain closed until mid September as per statement of the French president.

Regarding where and how to travel: I am discovering the joys of some (nice) Airbnb, having my basic kitchen ingredients in a box and enjoying nice kitchens preparing locally bought fresh products. So next I will stay in a cute lakeside house on Lake Geneva.

Who would have thought that Michelin star and Relais & Châteaux loving behuman will become fan of Airbnb . Never say no and as a lifetime gold on LH group (star alliance) I am even not caring about the miles anymore. Life is becoming relaxing .
If I own a dwelling in the EU but it's not my primary residence and am willing to self-quarantine there would the EU allow entry?
Old May 1, 2020, 3:21 pm
Suspended

So I now have four trips reserved for New Years, all refundable. Who wants to guess which one, if at all, I am able to actually take!

1) Paris (Crillon or PH) + Marrakesh (Amanjena) (could easily be modified to just Morocco or just Europe)
I still have the tickets I booked to Brazil for NYE '20-'21 in late-Feb before this really hit the fan. Holding out hope.
Old May 2, 2020, 3:28 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Thumbs down No way to get to your secondary residence - even self isolating

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
If I own a dwelling in the EU but it's not my primary residence and am willing to self-quarantine there would the EU allow entry?
The point is exactly that your secondary residence in the EU becomes inaccessible to you, coming from outside the EU certainly until autumn 2020.

Even an Italian friend of mine living in Milan can not access his secondary residence on Lake Maggiore, being not in the same region this will even be the case after 18 May.

People in "Euregios" like Geneva or Basel are completely locked and their lives are completely disrupted. Real estate in those regions or in places like the South West of France (British ownership) will see its price tumbling. The cities of Konstanz and Kreuzlingen (de facto one city) are separated by a double fence, it is a bad joke reminding the wall of Berlin or Trump's wall.

The idea of the EU and the Schengen agreement have become a joke and the disastrous handling by the French and Italians of the crisis makes it unbearable for their German speaking well organized neighbors.

Also the whole story creates a very dangerous precedent for what could happen in the future when a really deadly virus would hit. The whole is not proportionate and I hope there will be resistance against that craziness.
offerendum and BLV like this.
Old May 2, 2020, 5:03 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

You have for trips reserved for the same dates? Wow. I admire your enthusiasm for travel planning. I desperately want to start traveling again, but until there is at least some certainty, I am not motivated at all to do any trip planning. I don't even know if I'll be able to go to Rome in the next 2 months, which is only 2 hours away by car. Frustrating.
offerendum likes this.
Old May 2, 2020, 8:16 am
Suspended

The point is exactly that your secondary residence in the EU becomes inaccessible to you, coming from outside the EU certainly until autumn 2020.

Even an Italian friend of mine living in Milan can not access his secondary residence on Lake Maggiore, being not in the same region this will even be the case after 18 May.

People in "Euregios" like Geneva or Basel are completely locked and their lives are completely disrupted. Real estate in those regions or in places like the South West of France (British ownership) will see its price tumbling. The cities of Konstanz and Kreuzlingen (de facto one city) are separated by a double fence, it is a bad joke reminding the wall of Berlin or Trump's wall.

The idea of the EU and the Schengen agreement have become a joke and the disastrous handling by the French and Italians of the crisis makes it unbearable for their German speaking well organized neighbors.

Also the whole story creates a very dangerous precedent for what could happen in the future when a really deadly virus would hit. The whole is not proportionate and I hope there will be resistance against that craziness.
France are apparently voting on a bill Monday that will deal with provisions for outsiders coming in and quarantining. We'll see how it goes I suppose.
Old May 2, 2020, 2:18 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
... and the disastrous handling by the French and Italians of the crisis
And the Spanish. And the British. And the Swiss. And the Americans. And the Austrians.

This alleged German organizational acumen has produced results barely any different than... Canada. And we are hardly renowned for Teutonic organizational brilliance. And the Swiss are. Yet look at them.

Not sure that pointing fingers helps much of anything, or explains much of anything. If you buy a house in another country, surely you accept that the culture, laws, and vagaries of that region will prevail, for better or worse, and not your own. Else why travel? Except weather...
livefromtuscany likes this.
Old May 3, 2020, 3:54 am

Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
We will be "going next" to yet do discover nice places in our home countries ;) - an

Originally Posted by ridefar
And the Spanish. And the British. And the Swiss. And the Americans. And the Austrians.
If you buy a house in another country, surely you accept that the culture, laws, and vagaries of that region will prevail, for better or worse, and not your own. Else why travel? Except weather...
Sorry ridefar, I referred to France and Italy, because they created in record time a huge amount of certificates and bureaucracy, being completely out of proportion and infringing on constitutional rights. The countries you cite above had a more measured approach with the same, if not better result. Sweden being # 1 of course.

Regarding buying houses in other countries, I do not own real estate at all and never will, but people have been indoctrinated for the past 30 years or so that Europe is without borders ad other bs which now lost all credibility. The scars will take a generation to heal and the word "Euregio" should be banned. Protest are ongoing by politicians of those regions, but will unlikely bear any result.

This said: We will be "going next" to yet to discover nice places in our home countries - an opportunity.
Old May 3, 2020, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by livefromtuscany
You have for trips reserved for the same dates? Wow. I admire your enthusiasm for travel planning. I desperately want to start traveling again, but until there is at least some certainty, I am not motivated at all to do any trip planning. I don't even know if I'll be able to go to Rome in the next 2 months, which is only 2 hours away by car. Frustrating.
In a normal week I spend at least 5 hours or so (often much more) planning travel. At the moment perhaps 5 minutes. It´s demotivating
Old May 3, 2020, 9:54 am

Might explore the Caribbeans again, once these COVID lockdowns are lifted.
Old May 3, 2020, 10:00 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
France is slowly reopening and summer camps are planning to be open for July.

Major luxury hotels in Paris are opening in June.

I’ve contacted both Mandarin Oriental and Park Hyatt and their Milan properties are planning to be open in June, the Four Seasons is accepting reservations.

Not to go too far from the topic but personally Sweden is off my travel list because of their current policy. Things may change.
offerendum likes this.
Old May 3, 2020, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
their Milan properties are planning to be open in June.
Still hold a reservation in July but guess staying there this time will not be so much fun. But we will see
Old May 3, 2020, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by livefromtuscany
Well its a lot easier considering that I now spend no time watching sports or looking things up online like new restaurants...

In truth, I already had the Paris / Marrakesh trip booked before this all started and Japan was 1/2 booked. Award availability is unusually good for later in the year so it is easy to book the flights and I am lucky to have a fair amount of miles across all three airline alliances.

I also know that New Years is the earliest for me I will be able to take a trip regardless of COVID so no need to think about things coming up in the fall.
Old May 3, 2020, 11:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
In answer to the original question, this coming Tuesday, when I take my daily walk for exercise, I'm going to turn LEFT at the end of the little bridge instead of RIGHT. That will take me past the closed motel instead of past the one open and one closed hotel in my town. I'll have to wait and see where the road takes me from there.

That's about as far into the future as I'm willing to project at this point.

Wish me luck.
offerendum and Epicura like this.
Old May 4, 2020, 3:35 am

Thumbs up Wish you were right

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
Major luxury hotels in Paris are opening in June.
I’ve contacted both Mandarin Oriental and Park Hyatt and their Milan properties are planning to be open in June, the Four Seasons is accepting reservations.
Not to go too far from the topic but personally Sweden is off my travel list because of their current policy. Things may change.
So where the customers in Milan and Paris will come from? Travel in Italy will be allowed only within the same region from today and in France within 100 km from 11 May onward.

Communication of both governments is contradictory if not disastrous and the European spirit does not really prevail. This said interior Schengen borders are still locked (with a political will to open them) and the EU outside borders will open at best in September or rather October.

So who will be the guests at those hotels. Not many Europeans pay so high room rates and our best guests are US, followed by Asians and the ME in summer.

And yes, Sweden is on top of my list for their no nonsense pragmatic approach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.