Wiki Posts
Search

Where are you going next?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:42 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
If others can enjoy their time at a hotel or in a location with more or less time than I need or want, who am I to comment or care? Let others do it their way, and I’ll do it mine. And everyone’s happy.

There’s quite a bit of unnecessary judgment involved in saying otherwise, I think.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum
3 nights in Barcelona are fine, in Florence it´s very tight.
Whereas I find Florence to be imminently “skip-able”.

This just further illustrates bhrubin’s point — i.e. “different strokes”
uclabruin82 and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by aa213bb

Whereas I find Florence to be imminently “skip-able”.

This just further illustrates bhrubin’s point — i.e. “different strokes”
Of course everyone should find the best way for the own needs. But it´s no judgement or even offence if someone writes "wondering if that's enough time" and someone else answers. I have full sympathy if someone stays in different hotels in one city during one stay (did it often enough) or only stays very short at one destination.

Back to Florence: If you are after (Renaissance) art it´s not skipable and one of the hot-spots worldwide. If you aren´t interested in museums, churches or Renaissance Buildings the City has not very much to offer, there are better destinations.
richarddd likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:16 pm

4 nights at the Rosewood Phuket and 4 nights at the Phulay Bay. Although I'm thinking about switching to the Amanpuri but it's much more expensive than the Phulay Bay.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum
Back to Florence: If you are after (Renaissance) art it´s not skipable and one of the hot-spots worldwide. If you aren´t interested in museums, churches or Renaissance Buildings the City has not very much to offer, there are better destinations.
As a big fan of Renaissance art, museums, churches and buildings, Florence is essential. Plus I like the food much better than the food in Rome (or Milan, based on one meal - perhaps the PH michelin starred restaurant will be better for our November stay).
offerendum likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
I recently spent 4 nights in 3 different hotels on the amalfi coast. I would not do that if we go back, and not my personally preferred mode of travel, but I did enjoy it. There are so many hotels to choose from and this way you can see each of them. Now when people ask for opinions or if we think about going back I have a better idea.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:43 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by uclabruin82
I recently spent 4 nights in 3 different hotels on the amalfi coast. I would not do that if we go back, and not my personally preferred mode of travel, but I did enjoy it. There are so many hotels to choose from and this way you can see each of them. Now when people ask for opinions or if we think about going back I have a better idea.
Please do tell us where you stayed and your order of preference (and why)!
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:06 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by richarddd
As a big fan of Renaissance art, museums, churches and buildings, Florence is essential. Plus I like the food much better than the food in Rome (or Milan, based on one meal - perhaps the PH michelin starred restaurant will be better for our November stay).
Thanks. We've actually been to Florence many times and are regulars at the Four Seasons. That might make 3 nights sufficient. Although I guess I'm more asking if 3 nights are sufficient for relaxation after a pretty brutal August
Old Aug 16, 2019, 1:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by sophialite

Thanks. We've actually been to Florence many times and are regulars at the Four Seasons. That might make 3 nights sufficient. Although I guess I'm more asking if 3 nights are sufficient for relaxation after a pretty brutal August
not sure if Florence and “relaxation” should be in the same sentence in August . Too many people.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 1:12 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet

not sure if Florence and “relaxation” should be in the same sentence in August . Too many people.
Oh we know the spots to go to
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet

any suggestions? First time visiting the island.
Not really unfortunately. The island is so small that you will find everything within a day. Back in 2007 when I went for the first it was much quieter and the reason one went there was complete relaxation. Nowadays it’s really busy - but not unbearably so. There are some good day trips to be had however.

Naxos on the other hand is one of my favourite Greek islands. If you are there for a few days rent a car and explore it.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Zephyrous

Not really unfortunately. The island is so small that you will find everything within a day. Back in 2007 when I went for the first it was much quieter and the reason one went there was complete relaxation. Nowadays it’s really busy - but not unbearably so. There are some good day trips to be had however.

Naxos on the other hand is one of my favourite Greek islands. If you are there for a few days rent a car and explore it.
will be 4 nights on Naxos. I was hoping Koufonisia was still relaxing and relatively uncrowded also there for 4 nights.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: Quintessentially Elite, Amex Cent, UA* Lifetime Plat (2mm+), AA CK (6mm+)
Looking very much forward to staying at and seeing the redo of Raffles in Singapore. Heading there next week.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:27 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
So next confirmed trip is Bali.

Looks like it will be:
15-16 November: Alila Manggis (actually spending the entire day at Amankila after early lunch at Amanusa)
18-20 November: Amandari
20-23 November: Amanwana

I'm in Seminyak for a travel event from 11-14 November - actually keen to try out Katamama (trying to save a full stay at The Legian to combine with their resort in Lombok which actually should be open by then, but maybe I can do that next year instead).
There's a two night gap between 16-18 November I'm still trying to fill up that I'm having trouble with.
I'm really keen to check out Capella but was hoping to do a full 3 nights there (among others in the same boat including Mandapa, COMO Shambhala Estate, Alila Villas Uluwatu and more). Will likely go for a visit to Capella on this trip if I can squeeze it in.

Some other options:
  • Ametis Villa Resort in Canggu
  • Revivo Wellness Resort (a resort set within one of the Amanusa villas...)
  • COMO Uma Ubud - probably seems like the best option for a nice 2-night stay, except that it's also in Ubud (since I'm following it with Amandari).
Any where else that the forum wants reviewed/checked out? I'm trying to avoid south Bali (and in particular Seminyak, probably Jimbaran too) if possible - something unique/different would be interesting.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
20-23 November: Amanwana
Awesome! There is little discussion about Amanwana on this forum (and in general in travel circles - it is definitely one of the more hidden and less popular properties) and I'd love to hear lots about it. Supposedly the diving is spectacular.

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Any where else that the forum wants reviewed/checked out? I'm trying to avoid south Bali (and in particular Seminyak, probably Jimbaran too) if possible - something unique/different would be interesting.
Viceroy Bali and Fairmont Sanur Beach. Both interest me a lot, but I don't hear all too much about them. Condé Nast (US) ranks the Viceroy very highly (though their rankings are definitely geared toward the average American traveller and less to those who frequent luxury hotels) so it would be interesting to see what you think. The Fairmont is never discussed, so again, it would be interesting to learn about it.

Enjoy your trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.