Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Where are you going next?

Where are you going next?

Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin

Thanks. I know both properties well, having stayed previously at Kinloch Lodge and having dined previously at Three Chimneys. Kinloch still has a 1* restaurant; Three Chimneys lost its star but has a great new chef and recently renovated. I think Kinloch is the better bet for us, but I do want to have dinner at both if the schedule permits!
Just for the record, Kinloch lost its Michelin star this year (2019 Guide) as did Boath House in Nairn. There was a general culling in Scotland. You probably know that chef Andrew Fairlie died last year but the **Gleneagles restaurant which bears his name carries on for the time being.

Glad you know Three Chimneys! We also like Airds Hotel in Port Appin and Glenapp Castle (another Michelin victim this year).
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:54 am

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Valveking
This would be just like my college hotel choices if you just eliminated all of the above and substituted:

June:

Youth hostel Salzburg
Ex Communist dorm Budapest
Youth hostel Prague
Floor of roach motel Amsterdam

Just kidding. Have a great summer! I am a little envious.
Its not all smooth sailing. I have even stayed at the Nasa Vegas hotel in Bangkok, for a grand total of $7 a night LOL. But all joking aside, I know I am incredibly lucky to be afforded this level of travel by my parents.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:56 am

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
And two trips I left off, will be visiting my boyfriends parents in Wales, as well as visiting him as he studies abroad in Japan and in Beijing. Hope to pick yall's brains about the best places to stay in Japan as we tour, or the best that two college kids can afford haha!
Old Apr 26, 2019, 7:38 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Looks like I get to visit the Santa Barbara circuit in full!

Tomorrow we will have lunch and visit at the newly reopened San Ysidro Ranch, and also have visits at the new Rosewood Miramar (close to full capacity already), the Four Seasons Biltmore (also close to full capacity), and the Belmond El Encanto. Only the FS isn’t allowing our dog, Macallan, into the bar/restaurant area. The nerve.

Any specific things you want me to check while I’m on property, please do let me know! We will try to see rooms and suites if available, and likely will have a snack or drink at all but the FS.
damon88 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 1:12 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
May Ojai Valley Inn. St Regis DC & St Regis NYC
August Hotel Talisa
September. Andaz Papagayo
October Belmond Miraflores, Belmond Sanctuary, Tambo del Inka, Palacio del Inka
November. Phoenician Residences
December TBD
February- March Park Tower Tokyo, Amanoi, FS Nam Hai, Aqua Mekong, Amansara, St Regis Hong Kong
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:35 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by damon88
May Ojai Valley Inn. St Regis DC & St Regis NYC
August Hotel Talisa
September. Andaz Papagayo
October Belmond Miraflores, Belmond Sanctuary, Tambo del Inka, Palacio del Inka
November. Phoenician Residences
December TBD
February- March Park Tower Tokyo, Amanoi, FS Nam Hai, Aqua Mekong, Amansara, St Regis Hong Kong
If I might, I highly recommend one of the RC over the StR DC. We despised our stay at the StR, and you know how much I usually love StR.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:00 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist

If I might, I highly recommend one of the RC over the StR DC. We despised our stay at the StR, and you know how much I usually love StR.

I know that I am being obstinate on this one since your aesthetic so closely aligns with mine and you warned me about this hotel. But (believe it or not) this is my very first trip to DC and the location appeals to me and I have noticed that the reviews have been much better the last 6 months. Plus I made the reservation so long ago on points and have SNAs attached. I am crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.

You can definitely tell me "I told you so" if it turns out bad. If it does it will be my first subpar St. Regis experience. I haven't stayed at as many as you (this will be my 9th I think) but I have had great visits so far.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by damon88
I know that I am being obstinate on this one since your aesthetic so closely aligns with mine and you warned me about this hotel. But (believe it or not) this is my very first trip to DC and the location appeals to me and I have noticed that the reviews have been much better the last 6 months. Plus I made the reservation so long ago on points and have SNAs attached. I am crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.

You can definitely tell me "I told you so" if it turns out bad. If it does it will be my first subpar St. Regis experience. I haven't stayed at as many as you (this will be my 9th I think) but I have had great visits so far.
I hope you have a much nicer stay than we did. This is one of our two worst StR stays of all time.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:22 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

I hope you have a much nicer stay than we did. This is one of our two worst StR stays of all time.

Yikes
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:09 am

Heading to France next week. We may stay at the new Belmond Cadogan the night before, although having been there for a drink and a look around, I feel I've already learnt that I'll prefer The Connaught.
  • Domaine des Etangs
  • Royal Champagne
  • Villa La Coste
  • La Bastide de Gordes
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
I'll never understand devotion to the St Regis, especially after the Marriott acquisition. I stayed at the Osaka one and it was a solid 7/10. The rest of my stays have been thoroughly unremarkable.

Villa La Coste, under the other hand: devotion. My only complaint is the loss of their Michelin star restaurant. Other than that, I'm going to explore a long term stay contract with them.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sophialite
I'll never understand devotion to the St Regis, especially after the Marriott acquisition. I stayed at the Osaka one and it was a solid 7/10. The rest of my stays have been thoroughly unremarkable.
In Osaka, I’d be curious where you’d prefer over the StR? The RC is horribly dated and feels more like a nursing home with all the blue hair and formality. The Conrad and IC are wonderful hard products but much larger hotel operations with quite disappointing service and much less impressive F&B. I’ll take the StR there any time. And that’s why the StR commands the highest rates in Osaka.

IMO the Marriott acquisition of Starwood has done little to change StR, actually. And I’d know, being that I’ve been staying at StR properties for much of the last decade and continue to do so.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:24 am

In Osaka, I’d be curious where you’d prefer over the StR? The RC is horribly dated and feels more like a nursing home with all the blue hair and formality. The Conrad and IC are wonderful hard products but much larger hotel operations with quite disappointing service and much less impressive F&B. I’ll take the StR there any time. And that’s why the StR commands the highest rates in Osaka.
I don't think there's anything better in Osaka, but I don't grade these things on a curve unless the pricing is notably different. If I'm paying sub-$300 for a property and receiving 5 star service (but not on par with a grand dame hotel), that's a 10/10 for me. But if I'm paying $600+/per night, the property is asking me to compare it to other stellar properties around the world, and my judgment will be a bit more harsh in that regard. When I stayed at the Fairmont Ghirardelli Square and paid $1k+/night, I gave it a 1/10 because I had just paid $1k/night at the Crillon and the service just wasn't comparable. But then again, the FGS is among the better properties in SF, which is probably a note as to how bad SF is as a hotel market.

And my comment re: Marriott acquisition has less to do with the impact it has had on StR, and more to do with how much I refuse to do business with Marriott as a business (unless I absolutely have to).
Altocumulus likes this.

Last edited by RichardInSF; May 4, 2019 at 9:07 am Reason: consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sophialite
I don't think there's anything better in Osaka, but I don't grade these things on a curve unless the pricing is notably different. If I'm paying sub-$300 for a property and receiving 5 star service (but not on par with a grand dame hotel), that's a 10/10 for me. But if I'm paying $600+/per night, the property is asking me to compare it to other stellar properties around the world, and my judgment will be a bit more harsh in that regard. When I stayed at the Fairmont Ghirardelli Square and paid $1k+/night, I gave it a 1/10 because I had just paid $1k/night at the Crillon and the service just wasn't comparable. But then again, the FGS is among the better properties in SF, which is probably a note as to how bad SF is as a hotel market.
You’re entitled to draw comparisons and contrast between brands and hotel rates in different cities, but I think you’ll discover that such analysis will leave you with poor conclusions. Each market has different pricing pressures and very different pressures on the supply and especially demand, so comparing prices between different markets tells you little. You can only compare prices within the same markets to get a decent evaluation of the quality relative to that market.

Anyone will pay much less for 5 star luxury in Southeast Asia and will pay much more for the same in Paris or New York or Tokyo. Even among the exact same brands.

Either way, your earlier surprise about the St Regis brand stands in stark contrast to the fact that the St Regis is the top hotel or one of the top hotels in markets as varied as New York, San Francisco, Mexico City, Osaka, Miami, Atlanta, Moscow, Istanbul, Houston, Bora Bora, Florence, Rome, Mallorca, Punta Mita, etc.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:02 am

There's no need to be bitter about it. Except for StR NYC, which will always be a classic institution, the StR is just cookie cutter luxury and I don't see the point in spending $$$ on it unless it's really the best hotel in its city. I've traveled a lot and that's really only been the case in Osaka.

And by the way, StR Florence is a joke. I'll happily pay twice the price to stay somewhere else (which I did, at the Four Seasons).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.