Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Where are you going next?

Where are you going next?

Reply

Old Apr 23, 19, 6:08 pm
  #3736  
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Enroute to ? & likely flying in ' A ':)
Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Posts: 2,699

Thanks bhrubin

Will just miss you at Grand Bretagne Athens , Luxury Collection !

Think you meant next year travels for January onwards ..
bhrubin likes this.
FlyerEC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 19, 7:54 pm
  #3737  
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 7,550
Originally Posted by FlyerEC View Post
Thanks bhrubin

Will just miss you at Grand Bretagne Athens , Luxury Collection !

Think you meant next year travels for January onwards ..
Oops. Fixed. Thanks!

Shucks, sorry to miss you yet again. You and @damon88 always seem to stalk me or I’m stalking you!
bhrubin is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 19, 2:23 am
  #3738  
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Germany
Programs: Some
Posts: 7,522
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
Grand Bretagne Athens, Luxury Collection
Will be there also in October as I donīt think I switch to FS as the location is too inconveniant.
offerendum is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 19, 2:34 am
  #3739  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 547
Will be staying at Tawaraya at end of May. Havenít been to Shiraume but have always wanted to try it as well
obscure2k likes this.

Last edited by HKTraveler; Apr 26, 19 at 12:53 am
HKTraveler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 19, 2:43 am
  #3740  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 547
Originally Posted by BESVISOR View Post
Not sure I was saying that FS is my second choice here. The FS Kyoto is great and my number one choice in Kyoto at the moment!
Can you share more about what you like about the FS? I visit Kyoto a few times a year but have yet to try it due to its location. Aside from an occasional ryokan stay, I have been staying at the RC mostly for its service and location.
HKTraveler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 19, 8:23 am
  #3741  
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Wi-Fi
Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Rosewood Elite, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Hyatt Prive, Shangri-La, SPG LP, etc...
Posts: 1,006
Originally Posted by HKTraveler View Post


Can you share more about what you like about the FS? I visit Kyoto a few times a year but have yet to try it due to its location. Aside from an occasional ryokan stay, I have been staying at the RC mostly for its service and location.
I think the RC Kyoto is actually great and especially for a RC. Maybe the only RC I've ever really liked. Great location, service and the hard product is fine (loved our Terrace Suite with Mt./River View) but I still just don't love the decor and design of RC a whole lot. I love very subtle designs of Aman and FS much more. This is of course highly subjective.

I think the hard product of FS Kyoto is just much better (for my personal taste) and while they don't have the Mt. or River next to it, I really liked their garden/pond.
The pool / spa is nicer. The FS feels more like a hidden retreat to me than RC. RC is also a bit dark (especially the downstair restaurant for breakfast, not an ideal setting to start my day) where FS feels brighter and airy. Upgrade has been better at FS than RC for my clients as well so that makes me a bit bias towards FS also.

Nonetheless, I do think this RC is actually solid and if you're happy with it (esp. if RC's location is important to you), I wouldn't push for you to move to FS. However, if you visit Kyoto often then it certainly makes sense to give FS a try and if you don't like it, can always return to RC and now you'll know for sure
HKTraveler likes this.
BESVISOR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 19, 9:01 am
  #3742  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: London
Programs: LH HON
Posts: 559
I stayed at the Ritz Kyoto in 2015. Was also completely surprised. Was a solid hotel. Some weird quirks:

1) They wanted to charge me extra because we were 2 guests instead of 1. That made absolutely no sense (and honestly I never even check whether I am booking for 1 or 2--I would understand if there was an extra charge at 3 or more). Also, the room didn't come with breakfast, so adding the second guest almost literally added no cost to the hotel. That really, really irritated me.

2) The breakfast (that we paid OOP for, and I now know I can get covered if I book via my concierge) was I believe $62 and quality was good but there wasn't much selection.

Stuff could've changed since then. I'm jazzed to try the Four Seasons, but we really loved our room at the Ritz.
BESVISOR likes this.
sophialite is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 19, 9:28 am
  #3743  
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 7,550
FWIW. we stayed at Suiran for 5 nights (Presidential Suite), at the RC Kyoto for 2 nights (Kamogawa Suite), and had lunch and toured the FS Kyoto in May 2018.

The RC to me feels far more intimate, more authentic, and with a true Japanese sense of place than the larger and much more corporate feeling FS. The aesthetics of the two couldn’t be more different. The RC Kyoto clearly is about Japan; until you step outside into the FS garden, the FS could be anywhere in the world. But @BESVISOR is accurate in that the public spaces at the RC are darker and more subdued whereas those at the FS are lighter.

As everyone compares and contrasts those two, and even as much as we loved our stay at the RC Kyoto and agree that it may be the finest RC anywhere in the world, it actually is the Suiran property that make us most yearn to return. If one prefers the normal Western hotel feel and amenities, then the RC or FS both will serve you very well. If one wants an even more authentic hybrid ryokan/Western hotel experience, then the Suiran outdoes both the RC and FS without much effort at all. Suiran is that rare gem of a boutique luxury hotel that beautifully combines the true sense of place with some Western luxury niceties. I’d recommend one of the upgraded larger room types for this audience, though!
HKTraveler, damon88 and BESVISOR like this.
bhrubin is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 19, 9:57 am
  #3744  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: En Route
Programs: Many
Posts: 5,101
Originally Posted by HKTraveler View Post
Will be staying at Tawaraya at end of May. Havenít been to Shiraume but have always to try it as well
Please report back after your stay, I am considering staying there in Feb. Thank.
HKTraveler likes this.
GetSetJetSet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 19, 10:57 am
  #3745  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 547
While I normally stay at the RC, am not a big fan of their lobby which is too dark for me and isn’t really a comfortable place to lounge around. Will have to give the FS a try one of these days maybe when the Aman is open as a comparison!

Last edited by HKTraveler; Apr 24, 19 at 12:40 pm
HKTraveler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 19, 2:21 pm
  #3746  
SPG 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: La Jolla, CA
Programs: Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond (C) Hyatt Explorist (M)
Posts: 2,428
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post

Oops. Fixed. Thanks!

Shucks, sorry to miss you yet again. You and @damon88 always seem to stalk me or I’m stalking you!

I see several more near misses on your schedule. DC a few weeks apart and Scotland 6 months apart. It's pretty funny how many times this has happened. (On this list --we just did Grande Bretagne, Mystique and Prince de Galles LAST October )
bhrubin likes this.
damon88 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 19, 6:58 am
  #3747  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 1,132
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
April 2020:

Ritz-Carlton Boston
Ritz-Carlton Georgetown or Washington
Scotland 10th anniversary trip to include:
Boath House Nairn (where we got engaged)
Kinloch Lodge Skye
Gleneagles Hotel Perth
Glasgow hotel TBD
Edinburgh hotel TBD
The Isle of Skye these days is over-run with tourists - it's a Star Wars/Game of Thrones place, I think. Authorities are thinking of somehow managing the numbers. Anyway, rather than Kinloch Lodge I recommend you look at this place on the far side of the island. It rates 7/10 in the current Good Food Guide while Kinloch rates 4/10.

https://www.threechimneys.co.uk
Pausanias is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 19, 8:54 am
  #3748  
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 7,550
Originally Posted by Pausanias View Post
The Isle of Skye these days is over-run with tourists - it's a Star Wars/Game of Thrones place, I think. Authorities are thinking of somehow managing the numbers. Anyway, rather than Kinloch Lodge I recommend you look at this place on the far side of the island. It rates 7/10 in the current Good Food Guide while Kinloch rates 4/10.

https://www.threechimneys.co.uk
Thanks. I know both properties well, having stayed previously at Kinloch Lodge and having dined previously at Three Chimneys. Kinloch still has a 1* restaurant; Three Chimneys lost its star but has a great new chef and recently renovated. I think Kinloch is the better bet for us, but I do want to have dinner at both if the schedule permits!
bhrubin is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 19, 9:14 am
  #3749  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AB Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Posts: 536
As Im in college, I am pretty limited to summer travel, but here it goes! And some aren't up to this threads level of luxury haha

MAY 2019

St. Regis NYC
Baha Mar Grand Hyatt (Friends birthday trip)
Four Seasons Ocean Club
Waldorf Astoria Atlanta (Presidential Suite)
Fairmont Chicago (Got the insanely cheap porn star rate)
Waldorf Astoria Chicago (Close to the best Barneys in the states!)
East Hampton, NY (Staying at my boyfriend's)

JUNE 2019

Mandarin Oriental London
Hotel Grand Bretagne
Four Seasons Astir
Mystique Santorini
Mykonos- Santa Marina
Grand Hyatt Athens (1 night before flying home)
SLS Beverly Hills
Waldorf Astoria Rome
Fendi Suites
Le Sirenuse
Belmond Caruso
Hotel Cesare Augustus
Le Prince de Galles

JULY 2019

Park Hyatt DC
Rosewood Dallas
Ritz Carlton Philadelphia
Park Hyatt Vienna
Park Hyatt Hamburg
Jumby Bay (Birthday)
Belmond Charleston (Birthday)

AUGUST 2019

Ritz Carlton Central Park
St. Regis Singapore
St. Regis Bangkok
Rosewood Bangkok
Peninsula Bangkok
Mandarin Oriental Bangkok
Belmond La Residence Phou Vao Luang Prabang (Thinking about switching to Amantaka)
Four Seasons Baltimore (Moving out of the dorms!!)

SEPTEMBER 2019

Peninsula Paris
Park Hyatt Milan
Rosewood London
Four Seasons Hampshire

Last edited by Quinlanty; Apr 25, 19 at 9:22 am Reason: Added trips
Quinlanty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 19, 9:26 am
  #3750  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mem
Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Posts: 771
Originally Posted by Quinlanty View Post
As Im in college, I am pretty limited to summer travel, but here it goes! And some aren't up to this threads level of luxury haha

MAY 2019

St. Regis NYC
Baha Mar Grand Hyatt (Friends birthday trip)
Four Seasons Ocean Club
Waldorf Astoria Atlanta (Presidential Suite)
Fairmont Chicago (Got the insanely cheap porn star rate)
Waldorf Astoria Chicago (Close to the best Barneys in the states!)
East Hampton, NY (Staying at my boyfriend's)

JUNE 2019

Mandarin Oriental London
Hotel Grand Bretagne
Four Seasons Astir
Mystique Santorini
Mykonos- Santa Marina
Grand Hyatt Athens (1 night before flying home)
SLS Beverly Hills
Waldorf Astoria Rome
Fendi Suites
Le Sirenuse
Belmond Caruso
Hotel Cesare Augustus
Le Prince de Galles

JULY 2019

Park Hyatt DC
Rosewood Dallas
Ritz Carlton Philadelphia
Park Hyatt Vienna
Park Hyatt Hamburg
Jumby Bay (Birthday)
Belmond Charleston (Birthday)

AUGUST 2019

Ritz Carlton Central Park
St. Regis Singapore
St. Regis Bangkok
Rosewood Bangkok
Peninsula Bangkok
Mandarin Oriental Bangkok
Belmond La Residence Phou Vao Luang Prabang (Thinking about switching to Amantaka)
Four Seasons Baltimore (Moving out of the dorms!!)

SEPTEMBER 2019

Peninsula Paris
Park Hyatt Milan
Rosewood London
Four Seasons Hampshire

This would be just like my college hotel choices if you just eliminated all of the above and substituted:

June:

Youth hostel Salzburg
Ex Communist dorm Budapest
Youth hostel Prague
Floor of roach motel Amsterdam

Just kidding. Have a great summer! I am a little envious.
Valveking is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread