Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where are you going next?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Lambi
Yeah I'm going to SF for a meeting with work, StR didn't even reply to my RFI - I did a quick benchmark and RC was the most reasonable out of the top picks, although all of the hotels were nickel and diming us hard (29 bucks for a bottle of Evian and such...). So I'm prolonging the stay with some vacation time and got a good deal.

NYC I found out that travelling around Christmas give insane prices and I just can't stand paying 5x the rate for a worse hotel than the asian equivalent, so I'll probably go highend 4-star or lowend 5-star and stay away from the hotel as much as possible.

Bangkok - Going with your recommendation! MO it is!

Dubai - Still undecided, but FS Jumeirah is very very tempting.

Any drawbacks with FS JB I should know of? The small ridiculous things like O&O the Palm and the no drinks/food at the pool area puts me off completely. The marina seems to be an awesome area, I'll look into it deeper.

Thanks for allt he advice, you guys are awesome!
the only drawback imo for FS is that with the beach view you’ll see a large sand lot, which on weekends is crowded with RVs and jet skiers. It has like 2.5x the room count but that doesn’t effect service much in my experience and you have tons of F&B options nearby too.

For O&O, I haven’t stayed and is the last on my Dubai list but you have ferry access to the land side O&O and you’re in the Palm / Marina area which has a ton of nightlife.

Dont think theres a right or wrong decision in this one!

ps great choice in MO Bangkok; stayed there last year and it was every bit as refined and luxe as it’s been talked about here. Would try to snag a room in the Garden Wing and definitely enjoy a few cocktails at the Bamboo Bar for me
Lambi likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Gold, National Exec
I disappeared for a bit, but greatly appreciate people's input to my Bhutan trip! We are booked to do the "Land of the Thunder Dragon" package with COMO uma paro, which will consist of stays in the paro and punakha properties, as well as Gangtey Lodge in October. Super excited about this trip!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ncsuactor84FT
My one regret is that I didn't book a few days at Amanzoe... I didn't even know that property existed until after I made all the arrangements. Will probably come back to Greece one day in the future and check it out.
owner plans to sell by end of next year
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
owner plans to sell by end of next year
Sorting AMAN sequence for ‘ 19 .

That is why I am planning on going next year before that happens & more changes with Aman GMs ( already happening ) , when Paul L is settled there , in Zoe .

Doubt can make it in April though , more likely September before another cruise with AmanSS , etcetera after in October .
Then there is RWC in October too so has to be before that . If to include AmanTokyo again or skip .. should I attempt making it to Giri yet again / perhaps Yara .. decisions , decisions
( Do we get to Galla / Wella in January ? )
Waiting to hear about the flights to Page again , what options we have to fly from

Last edited by FlyerEC; Aug 27, 2018 at 7:18 pm Reason: Typo , add information
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:27 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
We're officially booked for our first ever return to any Aman: Amangiri in late Jan 2019 for my birthday. Air con should be less of an issue.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:39 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by bhrubin
We're officially booked for our first ever return to any Aman: Amangiri in late Jan 2019 for my birthday. Air con should be less of an issue.
How are you getting there? I'd happily return except for that frustration.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC

That is why I am planning on going next year before that happens & more changes with Aman GMs ( already happening ) , when Paul L is settled there , in Zoe .

Doubt can make it in April though , more likely September before another cruise with AmanSS , etcetera after in October .
Then there is RWC in October too so has to be before that . If to include AmanTokyo again or skip .. should I attempt making it to Giri yet again / perhaps Yara .. decisions , decisions
( Do we get to Galla / Wella in January ? )
Waiting to hear about the flights to Page again , what options we have to fly from
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Originally Posted by bhrubin
If we do not make it to Galla & Wella in January . We might just overlap with you , bhrubin , in Giri , it is within the cool window . Waiting to see where the flights to Page are from , if not drive from LAS ?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:23 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
After getting permission to bring our 110 lb Ridgeback, Macallan, we decided it was the right opportunity to up and charter a plane from SNA to PGA and back. So now we will bring Mac with us. Made us feel it was more worthwhile.

We might just overlap with you , bhrubin , in Giri , it is within the cool window . Waiting to see where the flights to Page are from , if not drive from LAS ?
I despise long drives. I just couldn't stomach the drive from LAS or PHX. Heck, I flew SNA-SFO the last several times we went to SF and Napa, while my husband drove up and back with Mac! #diva
SanDiego1K likes this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Aug 28, 2018 at 12:21 am
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:15 am

Next trip booked on the docket for Spring:
Shanghai (Peninsula Shanghai) ->
Hangzhou (Amanfayun) ->
Beijing (Peninsula Beijing) ->
Osaka (St Regis Osaka) ->
Kyoto (Hiiragiya) ->
Tokyo (Aman Tokyo)

Not only my longest trip ever, but also first time staying at an Aman hotel and I couldn't be more excited (lived in Asia part time for the past 4 years and somehow have never made my way to any Aman...). Currently looking for special/unique activities to do with the hotels/destinations, any recommendations appreciated!
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:19 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by bsb10
Hangzhou (Amanfayun) ->
Kyoto (Hiiragiya) ->
Tokyo (Aman Tokyo)

Not only my longest trip ever, but also first time staying at an Aman hotel and I couldn't be more excited (lived in Asia part time for the past 4 years and somehow have never made my way to any Aman...). Currently looking for special/unique activities to do with the hotels/destinations, any recommendations appreciated!
Love the trip!

Was just at Amanfayun and Aman Tokyo in July.

I visited Amanfayun with high hopes as many of my clients and others here loved it. However, it was one of my most disappointing Aman stays to date. Mainly, there's no GM there and I think it's starting to really impact the experience. No greetings or directions on arrival. Breakfast was embarrassingly poor quality and variety was minimal. Not to discourage you from going but I think it would be good to manage your expectations and know that it may not reflect the standards of the better Asian Amans. i.e. Amankila, Amanoi, etc...

Aman Tokyo was great, and we loved our 2nd visit. However, that's also a unique Aman. Looks like you'll just need to visit Amankila or Amanoi at some point

Safe travels!
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bsb10
Hangzhou (Amanfayun) ->
Kyoto (Hiiragiya) ->
Tokyo (Aman Tokyo)

Aman Tokyo wouldn't be my first recommendation for a first Aman stay. It's a very well-appointed hotel but lacks Aman service culture, heart and a sense of place. IMO, Andaz Tokyo has a better sense of place than Aman Tokyo.
I would definitely choose one of the Indonesian Amans for a true taste of what Aman can offer.
FlyerEC, bhrubin and BESVISOR like this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if you are saying paul L is replacing sven, where is sven going?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
if you are saying paul L is replacing sven, where is sven going?

How perceptive Kagehitokiri

Was waiting to see when you would be chiming in . Not sure if it is public yet . Think I can post about the changes in a few days , along with some others ( possibly indicated above too ) . Then there are no GMs at Fayun & ASP . The YY HM has also moved to Puri . Hope whoever will be GMs are AMAN veterans or have the DNA ..
Though the new Puri GM is from Pen ..
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there were some good reports re a few external hires (one at ASP?)
edit - and some of them may be gone now too

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 6, 2018 at 12:14 pm
Old Aug 29, 2018, 2:13 am

-- --

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 2018 at 1:45 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.