Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Where are you going next?

Where are you going next?

Old Aug 5, 2018, 7:47 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
We'll definitely clock up a few air miles on this trip. I think it's around 50 hours of flying over 5 weeks. As for reviews, I'll definitely do Clayoquot, Kokomo and a follow-up to Laucala. I doubt there's much to add on the other well established and reviewed properties.
Brief one on Lanai please? Also, photos would be great! Don't see much media/photos of the place.

Also definitely interested on your review of Kokomo.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:37 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
A long trip coming up this week.
  • The Connaught
  • Baccarat, New York
  • The Rosewood, Vancouver
  • Clayoquot Wilderness Resort
  • The Peninsula Beverly Hills
  • Four Seasons Lanai
  • Kokomo Private Island
  • Laucala
  • Hotel Bel-Air
  • The Setai, Miami
  • Four Seasons Orlando
I’m most interested in Kokomo—here’s hoping you can test the villa air con and take the plunge for some scuba diving! I’m also dying to see what you think of Clayoquot.

I’m concerned for your sanity with the FS Lanai (I think you’re gonna find it an overpriced mess) and FS Orlando (I honestly can’t believe you’re even visiting Orlando). I hope you survive.

Enjoy, regardless! Safe travels...
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I’m most interested in Kokomo—here’s hoping you can test the villa air con and take the plunge for some scuba diving! I’m also dying to see what you think of Clayoquot.

I’m concerned for your sanity with the FS Lanai (I think you’re gonna find it an overpriced mess) and FS Orlando (I honestly can’t believe you’re even visiting Orlando). I hope you survive.
The people have spoken. Summary of everything it is.

I'll check out the air con for you at Kokomo, just let me know your step-by-step detailed instructions that you must carry around on you, like one of those allergy bracelets or DNR letters.

Clayoquot I have the highest hopes for, and yourself and KatW have given me the lowest expectation of Lanai, but I feel we have to go to Hawaii at least once. It's on the way down to Fiji anyway (Fiji Airways flies between HNL and NAN once a week), so not much lost. As for Orlando, that's probably my 6th visit in the last 5 years. They say Las Vegas is Disney for adults, well they can have their gambling and drinking; I'll take Universal Studios.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:27 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
The people have spoken. Summary of everything it is.
^^^

You complete me.

I'll check out the air con for you at Kokomo, just let me know your step-by-step detailed instructions that you must carry around on you, like one of those allergy bracelets or DNR letters.
1. Turn on thermostat.
2. Set temperature to 17 C.
3. See how cold it actually gets.
4. See how long before you or the other half screams it’s way too cold...or not.

Thanks.

Clayoquot I have the highest hopes for, and yourself and KatW have given me the lowest expectation of Lanai, but I feel we have to go to Hawaii at least once. It's on the way down to Fiji anyway (Fiji Airways flies between HNL and NAN once a week), so not much lost.
I’m not sure Lanai is the most representative spot in Hawaii if you’re only going there once, even if the FS Lanai may be the most beautiful and wonderfully refurbished (yet still most overpriced) property in a state with far too many overpriced properties. Even though the properties may not seem as impressive, I’d have recommended something on Maui or Kauai or even Oahu (once you leave the Honolulu/Waikiki area) as being far more representative of real Hawaii.

But I do hope you both enjoy the ocean views, the beach, and the spa.

As for Orlando, that's probably my 6th visit in the last 5 years. They say Las Vegas is Disney for adults, well they can have their gambling and drinking; I'll take Universal Studios.
More power to you!
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I’m not sure Lanai is the most representative spot in Hawaii if you’re only going there once.

Kokomo and Laucala are not representative of Fiji, either.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 11:07 pm
Original Member

Next up:

Weeklong house party in Napa County near Calistoga. There will be 15 of us including kids -- all from Manhattan and Brooklyn except me and Jim.
https://www.vrbo.com/440855

Five nights at Rancho Valencia near San Diego in October -- birthday bash
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by KatW; Aug 7, 2018 at 12:57 am
Old Aug 7, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Getting the Russia bug out of my system next week:

Four Seasons Lion Palace St. Petersburg
Overnight in the Grand Deluxe Cabin on the Grand Express Train
Four Seasons Moscow

Then a few nights at Aman Sveti Stefan...

Probably a night somewhere in London or Paris on way home if I find something tempting...
Old Aug 7, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: LH Senator, CX Diamond, UA Prem Plat, Fans of MO Elite
Originally Posted by jonjparr

Is the pool area open at Ten Trinity?
Unfortunately, the pool area is still closed and no confirmed date when it will reopen.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 4:18 pm

Cala Di Volpe end of August
Gran Ibiza September for a wedding
Hotel Du Cap in October, hope the weather holds up
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:55 pm

Ravenala Attitude, Mauritius in late November from London Gatwick ( hoping the 777-200 has been refurbished by then ! )
In process of booking a round the World early June 2019 ; London to Vancouver ( drive LA ), Fiji, NZ, Aus x 3 & HK. Any recommendations welcome.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:41 pm

Are you sure you’re posting in the right thread/subforum? No pun intented but just had a look at Ravenala in Mauritius (since I never even heard of it) and this is a 4* hotel. Not the kind of hotel that in general would be the subject of discussion in this subforum.

Have a great trip anyway.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 6:10 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Epicura
Are you sure you’re posting in the right thread/subforum? No pun intented but just had a look at Ravenala in Mauritius (since I never even heard of it) and this is a 4* hotel. Not the kind of hotel that in general would be the subject of discussion in this subforum.

Have a great trip anyway.
Valid point, as this forum is for and about luxury locales. It would be appreciated if this thread focused on places they are going that meet that criterion.

Thanks,
RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel
United747 and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
So far this summer, not counting house rentals or dump hotels:

Ritz-Carlton Herzliya: B-/B
Scots Hotel Tiberias: B+/A-
King David Jerusalem: C
Hilton Podgorica: B/B+
Aman Sveti Stefan: F
Bagni Di Pisa: A-
HKTraveler likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
So far this summer, not counting house rentals or dump hotels:

Ritz-Carlton Herzliya: B-/B
Scots Hotel Tiberias: B+/A-
King David Jerusalem: C
Hilton Podgorica: B/B+
Aman Sveti Stefan: F
Bagni Di Pisa: A-
Stayed at Bagni di Pisa in 2014 and found it not so grear. Would be interested to hear details. Also about the eye catching Aman Stevi stay.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:14 am

Really busy summer for me and after doing HK, Taipei, HK, NYC, Kyoto, HK, NYC, Italy, HK, have to say i am travelled out and need to spend some time at home to recuperate. Did brief review of restaurants on DiningBuzz couple days back and will do the same for hotels and here it goes:

(Will start to try rating places as well on a scale of 0.0 to 5.0)

Greenwich Hotel, NYC, USA 3.5
- short one night stay. Not the style of decor I like but I can see why it is attractive. The breakfast space out in the garden is especially attractive and a nice respite from Nyc craziness. Location is very quite convenient though I prefer the Edition. The turn down service was a big problem for me though as they didn't draw the blinds and I didn't realize there are black-out blinds until check-out. Doubt I will return

Ritz Carlton, Kyoto, Japan 4.2
- great concierge service on helping with restaurant reservations. Not a big fan of the lobby since I find it dark and small but the rooms are perfect. Stayed in a Kamogawa luxury room by myself and I think this is perfect for one person. Very comfortable to laze around especially after two long flights. Location is acceptable as it is within walking distance to Gion and the shopping area around Nishiki Market. Thought about trying out the FS but couldn't bring myself together after realizing how poor a location it is in. One big downside is cost since RC is priced quite a bit more than other hotels in Kyoto but given no better options, this will be my go to hotel in Kyoto until something better comes along. Wasn't a big fan the last time I was here but have to say the hotel is growing on me

The Edition, NYC, USA 3.8
- Picked this hotel mostly for its location and its modern decor. Concierge team was very helpful and got us two difficult reservations at restaurants. Liked the hardware and the decor and the only complaint is the water pressure on the East facing side of the building. It seems to be fine on the other side but I am one who likes good water pressure and this one was barely acceptable. There were some insect bites in the first room and have to switch room. Good breakfast in their restaurant and particularly liked the retro NYC-style decor there. Loved the location which allows me to walk to Union Square area, Midtown and Shake Shack/Eataly are just right across the street. Will gladly stay here again

JK Place Roma, Rome, Italy

Palazzo Avino, Ravello, Italy

Palazzo Manfredi, Rome, Italy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.