Wiki Posts
Search

Where are you going next?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: Skymiles Plat/1MM, United Prem, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Sydney Park Hyatt
Saffire Freycinet

And a week later, the brand new cool Lodge Kohler in Green Bay, Wi - a welcome addition of us traveling Packer fans...
Aventine likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 2:16 pm

Just back from Greenland. Next up is Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan and in December it's down to Antarctica on the Seabourn Quest. So sorry there aren't any luxury hotels to report back on . . .
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 2:43 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Pausanias
Just back from Greenland. Next up is Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan and in December it's down to Antarctica on the Seabourn Quest. So sorry there aren't any luxury hotels to report back on . . .
Maybe not but would love to hear all about it in a TR! It still will be interesting to hear your perspective knowing that you know what luxury is.
FlyerEC and uggboy like this.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 2:51 pm

And I'd LOVE to know more about Greenland, please.
FlyerEC, uggboy and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 8:34 pm

Booked Oberoi Lombok.
uggboy and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 11:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by surftb15
Booked Oberoi Lombok.
^

Please let us know how it is as we ' ve been told that it does not belong in this forum . But is ' best ' on Lombok .

Keep safe - think recent dive mishaps there ( no Aman safeguards too ) , enjoy trip !
Old Sep 10, 2017, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aa213bb
And I'd LOVE to know more about Greenland, please.
Originally Posted by Pausanias
I disembarked a Regent ship last Friday in Iceland, having sailed across from Canada and Greenland (which was a revelation by the way)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 12, 2017 at 11:17 am
Old Sep 10, 2017, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
^

Please let us know how it is as we ' ve been told that it does not belong in this forum . But is ' best ' on Lombok .

Keep safe - think recent dive mishaps there ( no Aman safeguards too ) , enjoy trip !
"Best" on Lombok would be http://www.thelomboklodge.com/

Super small boutique hotel.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 10:28 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Epicura
"Best" on Lombok would be http://www.thelomboklodge.com/

Super small boutique hotel.
Oh yes , forgot about them in jet lagged state .
Thanks for reminder to share another ' secret gem ' here .

Wonder how the roads from " new "airport are now to the lodge & main areas ..

Catching up on sleep after Wales , Le Manoir Aux Quartre Saisons ( LMAQS ) now .. glorious food too
Back to shut eye

Anyone else here too or nearby ?
Old Sep 10, 2017, 10:56 pm

Greenland was extraordinary but not for reasons which might encourage people here to book a trip tomorrow. I went on a Regent cruise ship with nearly 500 passengers, so fairly small in cruise ship terms but not an expedition ship with zodiac landing craft. I would definitely classify the whole Regent product as 'luxury.'

The scenery everywhere was spectacular - high snow-capped mountains, deep fjords, icebergs and so on. Wildlife everywhere we went was deeply disappointing - a brief glimpse of a seal and that was it. Not a single whale. Lots of seabirds, though.

We made three stops in towns on the west coast - the capital, Nuuk, then Paamiut and Qaqortoq. It was the towns that I felt were the most interesting thing about Greenland. You have this sort of image of what life might be like. It isn't. Yes, there are a few cute little houses with brightly painted wood climbing up a hillside. But most people live in vast Soviet-style blocks built on the solid rock. They are built on stilts to provide a horizontal base. And they are shocking, in various stages of dereliction. The people sit around with nothing to do as fishing and whaling has all but dried up. There's a bit of trade in seals. But mostly this is all about survival and living on hand-outs from Denmark. Everyone had a cigarette going, even children, who had lost most of their teeth. Nuuk and, especially, Paamiut were like Romania in the 1970s - I know, I went there. One of the apartments blocks was called Siberia and stood alongside Canada and Alaska. You might rename this place Grimland.

Qaqortoq was more affluent and in every way smarter. Perhaps it was more Danish and less Inuit. They are building an airport. There is a hotel with a steakhouse. There are yachts and pleasure craft. A lovely 100 year-old church. Shops. People seemed to walk with a purpose. They even said hello.

From Qaqortoq we privately hired a small boat just for the two of us and went up a fabulously beautiful fjord to see the ruins of a 14th century church called Hvalsey. It has recently been awarded UNESCO World Heritage Status. The setting was unbelievably beautiful and the weather an unbelievable 65 degrees. We had the place to ourselves.

Our last day in Greenland was a 6-hour transit of Prince Kristian Sound which cuts a corner off the southern tip of the island. It was just one of those perfect days - bright sun, blue skies and the sort of scenery that needs to be applauded, geology at its most dramatic and frenzied. This was probably the best cruise day of my life, even surpassing French Polynesia and the Marovo Lagoon in the Solomon Islands.

Yes, Greenland was amazing but for unexpected reasons.
FlyerEC, lb8001 and QPRfan like this.

Last edited by Pausanias; Sep 10, 2017 at 11:47 pm
Old Sep 11, 2017, 2:00 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by surftb15
Booked Oberoi Lombok.
Was very disappointed with this hotel when I went there in 2013.
Hopefully they've improved since then !

Did you end up going Oman ?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Nizar
Was very disappointed with this hotel when I went there in 2013.
Hopefully they've improved since then !

Did you end up going Oman ?
What were the issues with it?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:33 pm

Goofed. My wife company pushed her start date back to account for long weekend in October. Went to move some flights around and BAM, oberoi lombok not available. So now it looks like soori bali will be the place.
​​
Old Sep 14, 2017, 2:02 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
SPG Luxury Fest...

Let the SPG luxury hotel fest continue...for as long as my SPG Ambassador perks remain intact before the Marriott loyalty programs merger in early 2019, at least! I clearly want to experience the most I can before it might end.

Sept 2017

St Regis Rome (suite upgrade confirmed!)

Oct 2017

The Imperial Vienna, Luxury Collection (dinner at Steirereck, suite upgrade confirmed!)
Prince de Galles Paris, Luxury Collection (hubby's surprise bday party, dinner at La Scene and Septime, suite confirmed!)
St Regis San Francisco (work)
Lodge at Pebble Beach tentative (work)

Nov 2017

St Regis San Francisco (work)
Westin San Jose (work)

Dec 2017

St Regis San Francisco (annual culinary weekend, dinners at Atelier Crenn, suite upgrade confirmed!)

Jan 2018

St Regis Punta Mita, Mexico (my bday, villa upgrade confirmed!)

Feb 2018

St Regis Bahia Beach, Puerto Rico (work)

Mar 2018

St Regis New York (work, dinner at EMP hopefully)
The Ballantyne Charlotte, Luxury Collection

Apr 2018

St Regis Washington (Easter)
St Regis Atlanta (work)

May 2018

Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, Luxury Collection
Suiran Kyoto, Luxury Collection (upgrade confirmed!)
RC Kyoto
St Regis Osaka (suite confirmed!)

June 2018

Westin San Jose? (nephew's wedding)
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:10 pm
Original Member

Enroute now SFO-YUL. After landing in Montreal, ee booked a car to drive us down to North Hatley in the Eastern Townships (aka Three Pines), staying at Manoir Hovey for six nights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.