Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Where are you going next?

Where are you going next?

Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:39 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
After a ton of mind changing (and changes/cancellations to bookings as a result), we're set for the next ~6 months with the following plan:

JULY
- Saxon Johannesburg (S. Africa)
- Tswalu Kalahari (S. Africa)
- Latitude 15 (Lusaka, Zambia)
- Mchenja Bush Camp by Norman Carr Safaris (S. Luangwa N.P., Zambia)
- Anabezi Luxury Tented Camp (Lower Zambezi N.P., Zambia)

NOVEMBER (Thanksgiving week)
- Amangiri

DECEMBER (Xmas/New Year)
- RC Tokyo
- Gora Kadan
- RC Kyoto

JANUARY 2018
- Mara Plains Camp (Mara Olare Motorogi Conservancy, Kenya)
- Ngare Serian (Mara North Conservancy, Kenya)
- Giraffe Manor (Nairobi, Kenya)
- Protea Marriott Entebbe (Entebbe, Uganda)
- Clouds Mountain Gorilla Lodge (Bwindi N.P., Uganda) - 2 gorilla treks, including one full-day "habituation trek" for a not-yet-fully-habituated clan (and a 4-hr. viewing time vs. the usual 1 hr. limit.)
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:49 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by KI-NRT
After a ton of mind changing (and changes/cancellations to bookings as a result), we're set for the next ~6 months with the following plan:

JULY
- Saxon Johannesburg (S. Africa)
- Tswalu Kalahari (S. Africa)
- Latitude 15 (Lusaka, Zambia)
- Mchenja Bush Camp by Norman Carr Safaris (S. Luangwa N.P., Zambia)
- Anabezi Luxury Tented Camp (Lower Zambezi N.P., Zambia)

NOVEMBER (Thanksgiving week)
- Amangiri

DECEMBER (Xmas/New Year)
- RC Tokyo
- Gora Kadan
- RC Kyoto

JANUARY 2018
- Mara Plains Camp (Mara Olare Motorogi Conservancy, Kenya)
- Ngare Serian (Mara North Conservancy, Kenya)
- Giraffe Manor (Nairobi, Kenya)
- Protea Marriott Entebbe (Entebbe, Uganda)
- Clouds Mountain Gorilla Lodge (Bwindi N.P., Uganda) - 2 gorilla treks, including one full-day "habituation trek" for a not-yet-fully-habituated clan (and a 4-hr. viewing time vs. the usual 1 hr. limit.)
Love your destinations, too! Seems we will miss each other again in Japan. Can't wait to read your TR/ERs for the Uganda gorilla treks and all the different safari camps.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:14 pm

In the midst of some very early pre-planning for our honeymoon at the end of Sept next year, which so far we're close to closing on a stay at the Amanoi, but the rest is up in the air, plenty of time, this is the fun part. But in the meantime:

July 4 weekend in San Francisco:
- 3 nights at the RC SF
- 1 night at the Fairmont SF, MBS or MBBS, still working on that detail

September, a week in Scotland:
- 1 night in Glasgow at Hotel du Vin & Bistro
- 3 nights staying at Knock Old Castle by ourselves (renting a Jag F-type V6 for some touring around fun)
- 1 night undecided currently, taking suggestions for Scottish Highlands
- 2 night Airbnb in Edinburgh (the Garden Room Airbnb featured in GQ, only stating this because it makes it easy to find)

NYE, friends wedding in Austin
- Fairmont Austin (newly opened, looking to utilize our room upgrade certs, but the room categories aren't finalized in the system yet)
Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:59 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

As you must have already heard from others, Osaka seems not so exciting once you have been to Tokyo unless you plan to use that time to make a longish day trip to Hiroshima peace park and Miyajima.

In that case, a JR pass will be a good deal if it can cover the Tokyo -- Kyoto trip as well as the trip to/from Hiroshima.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
As you must have already heard from others, Osaka seems not so exciting once you have been to Tokyo unless you plan to use that time to make a longish day trip to Hiroshima peace park and Miyajima.

In that case, a JR pass will be a good deal if it can cover the Tokyo -- Kyoto trip as well as the trip to/from Hiroshima.
As it turns out, during our 3 nights in Osaka I'm planning a long day trip to Mt. Koya and a shorter day trip to see Himeji Castle from Osaka. I also think I might include a steak dinner at Aragawa Kobe while in Osaka. I'm not sure whether I'll even bother to go to Hiroshima, actually.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bhrubin
As it turns out, during our 3 nights in Osaka I'm planning a long day trip to Mt. Koya and a shorter day trip to see Himeji Castle from Osaka. I also think I might include a steak dinner at Aragawa Kobe while in Osaka. I'm not sure whether I'll even bother to go to Hiroshima, actually.
You should go to Hiroshima for the Atomic Bomb peace park, Miyajima and the floating Orange Torii.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Aventine
You should go to Hiroshima for the Atomic Bomb peace park, Miyajima and the floating Orange Torii.
I don't like to force a visit if I can help it. I also tend to resist whenever there is something that most say "I must" or should visit.

I'm just not convinced that I'll enjoy the long trip to/from Hiroshima for just a small remnant of what actually transpired. Cost/benefit will be the final deciding factor...along with what my hubby thinks.

I can tell you I'd much prefer seeing Mt. Koya and Himeji Castle far more than Hiroshima.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jun 20, 2017 at 11:14 pm
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I don't like to force a visit if I can help it. I also tend to resist whenever there is something that most say "I must" or should visit.

I'm just not convinced that I'll enjoy the long trip to/from Hiroshima for just a small remnant of what actually transpired. Cost/benefit will be the final deciding factor...along with what my hubby thinks.

I can tell you I'd far prefer seeing Mt. Koya and Himeji Castle far more than Hiroshima.
Well that's settled then haha^
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:52 am

I can tell you I'd much prefer seeing Mt. Koya and Himeji Castle far more than Hiroshima.
Mt Koya is only worth it if you spend the night in a temple and also do the cemetery tour at night. Otherwise, it pales in comparison with Kyoto or Nara.

Using Osaka as a base, Kurashiki can be done as a day trip and is very much worth seeing. If you can spare one night, go and stay at Benesse House on Naoshima
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HKTraveler
Mt Koya is only worth it if you spend the night in a temple and also do the cemetery tour at night. Otherwise, it pales in comparison with Kyoto or Nara.

Using Osaka as a base, Kurashiki can be done as a day trip and is very much worth seeing. If you can spare one night, go and stay at Benesse House on Naoshima
Thanks for the tips. However, there is no way I'd stay overnight in a rustic Mt. Koya temple lacking air con or good food or decent sleeping accommodations--let alone making me wake up for 6:30 am prayers. Seeing a religion practiced is often enlightening for me; being forced to practice myself would be quite annoying to me, thanks!
Old Jun 21, 2017, 2:10 pm

Not to hijack the thread, but we did two nights in Hiroshima. That way, we arrived the evening before our day of touring. We did Miyajima first, then the peace park/museum after lunch. Then we just stayed in Hiroshima that evening. The next morning we went to Osaka and I took our kids to Universal We had pooped out on temples and what not and enjoyed a day with Harry Potter and Jaws
Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:54 pm

Oman in August - good or bad idea?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Landed earlier today in NY after a stay at the Hassler in Rome, headed to Charleston, SC in the morning to stay at the Belmond
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:24 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by surftb15
Oman in August - good or bad idea?
Would be too hot I think at least for Muscat.

But it could be cool enough on the mountains. If you do go make sure you stay at Anantara Jabal Akhdar - could not recommend it enough.

I was there for three nights in May and was impressed.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Nizar
Would be too hot I think at least for Muscat.

But it could be cool enough on the mountains. If you do go make sure you stay at Anantara Jabal Akhdar - could not recommend it enough.

I was there for three nights in May and was impressed.
Was thinking of that or Zighy Bay!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.