Reload this Page >

Where are you going next?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where are you going next?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:59 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
NO, benlee, do not do this!!!! .
Ok, ok, Yes Ma'am!

London's chain hotels are a far cry from Asia's and should definitely be avoided. If you are going to spend all your time sightseeing, then I would recommend staying at The Knightsbridge, which is a small but excellent B&B with 24-hour room service, run by Firmdale. It is close to Harrods, so is well located, but prices are much lower, so good value, too.
Yes, location is important esp it's my first trip to London. I check out Knightsbridge, quite nice but the rates are attractive but the room is really small ( only 11m2! ). And their rates for larger rooms are basically on-par with the others 5star hotels. Also, I notice most of hotel rooms in London I've checked on their websites are all with heavy classical/traditional decor, very "gothic" I should say ( sorry, can't think of a better word ).

BTW, what do you think of the Halkin? The rooms looks nice to me.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 9:02 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by luxury
The problem I had with the PH Vendome when I stayed there December 26, 2008 was that whilst the hotel was gorgeous, the obnoxious chemical weapon grade perfume was all pervasive and that the rooms had heating issues. The PH was, however, very gracious to upgrade me, a Platinum member with Hyatt, one category to a Park Deluxe room, on a free (FFN) night. It is a gorgeous hotel with a great location but that perfume is a killer..
You're the second person to mention this abt the PH Vendome. Is the "perfume" actually over-dosage of scented air-freshener?
Old Jan 7, 2010, 9:34 am
Original Poster

PH Vendone perfume & Halkin

Originally Posted by BENLEE
You're the second person to mention this abt the PH Vendome. Is the "perfume" actually over-dosage of scented air-freshener?
PH Vendome - they puff out a chemically-made 'fragrance' from various outlets in the ceilings/walls and also spray the rooms. It makes me sneeze and gives me a headache, which is why I will not stay at this hotel. PH Milan does the same thing, but with a different 'fragrance'. Awful! haven't these people heard about endocrine disruptors?

The Halkin, Benlee is in a nice location off Hyde Park corner but although public areas remain quite smart I thought the rooms/suites were looking very tired - not the bedroom areas so much but the bathrooms, which even in suites tend to be very small and with those very old fashioned shower trays.

I also wonder why people like the Halkin's Thai restaurant and why Michelin thought it was so special - maybe they should get out more.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Yes, location is important esp it's my first trip to London. I check out Knightsbridge, quite nice but the rates are attractive but the room is really small ( only 11m2! ). And their rates for larger rooms are basically on-par with the others 5star hotels. Also, I notice most of hotel rooms in London I've checked on their websites are all with heavy classical/traditional decor, very "gothic" I should say ( sorry, can't think of a better word ).
Take a quick look at the Jumeirah Lowndes. Whole hotel was redone a couple of years ago so rooms are modern. Boutique property but you can cross-sign at the Carlton Tower across the road and use their fantastic pool and health club. Jumeirah has been pushing a lot of promos online recently so you may get a good deal. One of Londons best Italians, Zefferano, is beneath although not linked to the hotel.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 3:48 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe I've just discovered why I'll never be a real wine expert: I can't smell good enough. I've never smelled the odor that others above refer to at the Park Hyatt Vendome, for example.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL PM; Marriott Rewards Gold; Amex Platinum
Paris in February

Going to Paris for 4 nights in February. Staying at Le Meurice (booked a great deal through David O) for the first time in several years. We were able to get an upgrade to a Tuilleries view Executive room for the price of a superior. We are great fans of the George V, and are very curious how we will feel about not staying there this time. I have stayed at the Meurice in the past and have been generally impressed, but have heard some mixed reviews since the updates to the public spaces. Has anyone had any recent experience?
Old Jan 8, 2010, 3:21 pm

Programs: British Airways Silver
Originally Posted by eba205
Going to Paris for 4 nights in February. Staying at Le Meurice (booked a great deal through David O) for the first time in several years. We were able to get an upgrade to a Tuilleries view Executive room for the price of a superior. We are great fans of the George V, and are very curious how we will feel about not staying there this time. I have stayed at the Meurice in the past and have been generally impressed, but have heard some mixed reviews since the updates to the public spaces. Has anyone had any recent experience?
I stayed at Le Meurice about a year ago, after the renovations. I wouldn't worry too much about the highly "individualistic" decor in the public spaces, as you don't need to spend too much time sitting under that horrible ceiling! I actually liked the decor of the 3 Michelin-starred restaurant and the bar is also still very good. I found the service throughout was superb, very gracious and kind. We had a newly renovated Starck "junior" suite which was magnificent - it had a jaw-dropping dressing room, huge marble bathroom, as well as an entrance hall plus large bedroom. I also very much liked the scent in the hotel corridors. I have not stayed at Georges V (yet) so cannot compare, but I would recommend the Meurice and its matchless location.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 1:07 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by Raffles
One of Londons best Italians, Zefferano, is beneath although not linked to the hotel.
Zafferano, I presume? It really is good.

As for perfumes spread via the ventilation systems, it must really be a tricky thing to get right. Possibly more than with any other sense, people have strong preferences regarding smells and smells have such a direct effect on us. Safer to stay away from this or keep it on the bland side, I would have thought. The Renaissance Chancery Court (which BTW is a pretty decent chain hotel by London standards) also uses a fragrance in their lobby area. It is very understated and I find it very pleasant - almost as if the lavish flower arrangement that has pride of place were giving off a scent. The effect is almost subliminal but after a few times it dawned on me why my mood lifted every time I stepped inside.

Completely off topic: I was told once by someone who had experience as a housekeeper that a trick of the trade was always to be liberal with the furniture polish. Nothing communicated "clean house" so powerfully as that smell - and was a good decoy if other jobs had been less than thoroughly done.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 6:52 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Hotel by park, Kensington Palace

Ok, ok, Yes Ma'am!

BTW, what do you think of the Halkin? The rooms looks nice to me.
You may like to take a look at Royal Garden Hotel tho' renovations are happening. Can walk through the park to Knightsbridge & limo/taxi back after shopping. Has " high street " shops nearby & Wholefoods too.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by splatnz
Actually the Hyatt has just been renovated so it's a lot better than it used to be! Would still rate the Langham's Exec and Club rooms well over Hyatt but the Langham standard rooms are a bit dated so if you're going for that level stay at the Hyatt instead.
spoke with my friends re Auckland plans. We have decided to stay at the Hyatt. Your update helped nudge the vote.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
You may like to take a look at Royal Garden Hotel tho' renovations are happening. Can walk through the park to Knightsbridge & limo/taxi back after shopping. Has " high street " shops nearby & Wholefoods too.
Thanks. Will check it out. But renovation might be a problem. I'm a light sleeper. Need near total silence to sleep.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Will check it out. But renovation might be a problem. I'm a light sleeper. Need near total silence to sleep.
Royal Garden is in no way a luxury hotel, despite any renovations.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 8:24 am

Programs: DL-PM, Small Luxury Hotels & Proud Member of TSA Disparager-Gold
Weighing in a little late but leaving for SJU Monday and staying at El Covento a member of SLH collection. Never stayed before but have planned and coordinated weddings there - it's lovely and service is great.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 6:31 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Wink

Royal Garden is in no way a luxury hotel, despite any renovations.
Should have qualified this in my earlier post ( i.e.No means our usual e.g. Aman/MO.) That said , it does have great park views, contemporary rooms/decent suites ,etc and is rated as such by others.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Should have qualified this in my earlier post ( i.e.No means our usual e.g. Aman/MO.) That said , it does have great park views, contemporary rooms/decent suites ,etc and is rated as such by others.
Just checked the website. The rooms do look more residential than luxurious. Also, the website doesn't list out the amenties available. Since I plan at least to spend my time outside most of the time, it shouldn't really matter, as long as the bed is comfortable, the bathroom clean and good water pressure. How's the soundproofing?

I've checked out a bunch of luxury hotel websites in London and so far, include many suggested in other threads but it seems that London doesn't really have any luxury hotels that can interest me. The're either too "gothic", too retro, too old-fashion, too stuffy or just too small ( Yes, I'm damn hard to please ). I think I will just go for the comfort factor and convenient location as the prime criteria to decide where to stay. Hotels in Paris looks way more promising, with at least Park Hyatt and Four Seasons in Paris for me to splurge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.