FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Ritz Carlton, Dove Mountain , AZ-- Initial Observations (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1013886-ritz-carlton-dove-mountain-az-initial-observations.html)

lucycan Jul 23, 2012 7:10 am

I'm surprised there is not more activity on this thread. This is a wonderful hotel. We are set to return for our 3rd trip in a few weeks.

grumbler Jul 23, 2012 8:35 am

Originally Posted by lucycan (Post 18984497)
I'm surprised there is not more activity on this thread. This is a wonderful hotel. We are set to return for our 3rd trip in a few weeks.

Maybe because it is the same people posting ? ;)

For what it is worth, my own view is that it is ok, but by no means spectacular. The suburban location is just a bit weird, and the rest is pretty much Ritz by numbers, in my opinion.

luxtrvlwrks Aug 29, 2013 8:50 am

I returned from a four night stay a little over a week ago. Truly enjoyed this property. In fact, it is now one of my all time favorite RC's. Spectacular scenery, great food, large spa with all of the amenities, and spacious modern rooms (with complimentary Internet!).

I really liked the To|Go restaurant concept. It was great in the morning to get a quick bite to eat and coffee without having the formality of a sit down breakfast or the wait for room service.

There are lots of outdoor activities, including relaxing by the pool. I tried two of the three pools and the service was consistently excellent.

Since pictures tell the best story, you can see the photo tour here or read the full review plus photo tour here.

offerendum Aug 30, 2013 12:56 am

Originally Posted by luxtrvlwrks (Post 21356658)
I really liked the To|Go restaurant concept. It was great in the morning to get a quick bite to eat and coffee without having the formality of a sit down breakfast or the wait for room service.

Is it a new RC-concept? Their wasnīt a to to if I stayed at Dove Mountain, but Lake Tahoe had one. I find it very strange for a luxury property.

luxtrvlwrks Aug 30, 2013 11:29 am

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 21361300)
Is it a new RC-concept? Their wasnīt a to to if I stayed at Dove Mountain, but Lake Tahoe had one. I find it very strange for a luxury property.

It's increasingly common in US mid-level business hotels, but is not a standard for RC or luxury hotels in general. I think for certain properties it makes sense. Dove Mountain and Tahoe are resorts where people do a lot of outdoors and off-property activities, and To|Go is only open for breakfast and lunch (other options are available).

It's nice to be able to grab something quickly before heading out for the day. For me, the experience of being able to grab a quick breakfast or coffee to go was a luxury.

Loungeact Aug 17, 2015 11:47 am

any recent stays here?

Contemplating a trip at the end of September for hiking in Arizona and am interested in this property. Does it not have a club level?

Thanks.

lucycan Aug 17, 2015 2:39 pm

No club level. I've been here 4 times and going back in May 2016. One of my favorite properties.

offerendum Aug 18, 2015 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Loungeact (Post 25283929)
Does it not have a club level?

It had when it opened, but they first closed it seasonally ans as far as I know completely after a while. I enjeyed the hotel al lot, but itīs 5 years ago:(

xracer Aug 18, 2015 9:01 am

I was there in early June and it was OK. Nothing wrong with the place: nice location (albeit far from anything else in Tucson), decent service, good hard product.

We were in one of the villa suites and it was good to be away from the rest of the hotel.

I found the pools to be a bit loud (and there was not a 'quiet area' to escape the hoards of screaming children that were there).

Overall, everything was fine. Nothing terrible, but nothing memorable either. It all felt very corporate.

There is no club level.

mylegs Aug 18, 2015 2:20 pm

My family is returning for a third time for the week of Thanksgiving. We love the place. We have two small kids who love the pools and slide. It's relaxing for us and not pretentious. I can see how my perspective is very different from the previous poster, though. Tennis, hiking, etc. are great. Staff is amazing.

But the thing that will likely keep us coming back, although not available for everyone, is that we are able to book a room at a government rate of around $80/night. Even with the resort fee, that's less than $130/night. If you can take advantage of this rate, it's a sweet deal. Of course, we don't short the Ritz when it comes to buying their food and drink, so we know they're not losing money...:p

CHOPCHOP767 Sep 27, 2016 6:57 am

Since the last post was in 2015, I was wondering if there were any more recent FTers stays? I realize that the club level has seen its demise, but am always a bit concerned when I book these types of properties that people let the kiddos run around with no supervision. I was really hoping for a 'get away' 'peace and quiet' type trip. This RC seemed like it could fit the bill, and was well regarded by Forbes Travel, but any comments are greatly appreciated.

lucycan Sep 27, 2016 8:27 am

I was there again in May for my 5th stay. Your concerns about kids running wild can be valid on Holiday weekends when some locals come to stay. But in the last few years they have raised the rates to keep that in check. Other times of the year will be mostly peaceful and quiet that you are looking for, which is the exact reason we keep going back.

CHOPCHOP767 Sep 27, 2016 9:14 am

Thanks, lucycan! Just booked a four day long week-end. I was debating between this RC and the Fairmont or Four Seasons in Scottsdale, but since I've not been to the Tucson area, and based on the Forbes rating, I though I would go with the RC.
Repeat visits by MR LT Plats also helps weigh in favor of a visit.

offerendum Sep 27, 2016 10:01 am

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767 (Post 27270219)
Thanks, lucycan! Just booked a four day long week-end. I was debating between this RC and the Fairmont or Four Seasons in Scottsdale, but since I've not been to the Tucson area, and based on the Forbes rating, I though I would go with the RC.
Repeat visits by MR LT Plats also helps weigh in favor of a visit.

I met much more families at FS and enjeyed RC more than FS. So I think itīs the right decision.

lucycan Sep 27, 2016 10:20 am

CHOPCHOP, I assume you looked into Virtuoso rates for the best options here?