Amangiri (Utah)

Old Mar 13, 2010, 8:45 pm

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
Buster, I'm surprised to hear there were many guests at Amangiri during your stay! I stayed at Amangiri for four nights just a few days before you do, and I was pretty much the only guest in the resort during my stay!

Service I got was flawless, everyone cannot be more helpful, and all very friendly, I really felt like staying at a good friend's place that also comes with excellent staffs! I was welcomed from the moment I arrived Page airport till I boarded my departure flight.
On the day of my departure, my flight was delayed for two hours at very last minute notice so my driver Jeremy and I found out when we're at the airport. He not only drove me around for another two hours but insisted to wait with me to make sure I got on my flight because I'm flying to Phoenix to transfer to LAX for an international flight. He wanted to make sure that I made it to my flight or he'll drive me to Phoenix!
I personally find the service of US Amans much better than the asian Amans I've been to

I will not repeat how beautiful the surrounding is, and the whole concrete thing did not bother me much, it made me feel like a prehistoric caveman though, which is pretty interesting, and I think it has a cooling effect in the summer
I stayed at the terrace pool suite, and it comes with a neat star gazing lounge, definitely my favorite feature of the room!

All in all, my stay was perfect, the minor problems I had is the privacy issue during the peak season, the chair at the desk in the room is not very comfortable, and they made a mistake choosing the tiles for the bathroom because I can see the soap marks left from previous guests in the bathroom. I did reflect these opinions to the management so hopefully they'll solve these problems soon.

Like the other posters mentioned earlier, it is a really isolated place, I found it a bit hard to adjust my first night here, but the wonderful Amangiri staffs arranged all kinds of activities to keep me busy during my stay
Can't thank them enough, and can't wait to go back soon!
Old Mar 13, 2010, 9:00 pm

Oh I forgot to mention the spa! While I enjoyed the facilities at the spa, I thought the treatment (I got a 90 min aromatherapy massage) was just ok for the price paid. I had much better massage elsewhere for less, maybe I should've got the spa journey
Old Mar 14, 2010, 9:12 am

Princess,
Thanks for the review. What kind of activities did you end up doing? How was the food? So did you spend a lot of time up on the star gazing deck, and were the stars easy to see?

Thanks
Old Mar 14, 2010, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by kmklint
Princess,
Thanks for the review. What kind of activities did you end up doing? How was the food? So did you spend a lot of time up on the star gazing deck, and were the stars easy to see?

Thanks
Hi kmklint, I went on a few guided hikes in the area with Amangiri guide, I think they said they've been in this area for 20 years, so they're really knowledgeable. The resort offers a "testing hike" for guests per day, free of charge, they do charge you for more challenging hikes or the ones off property.
I also took a boat out on lake powell one day, but it was still pretty cold, it's my first time to lake powell and the view was absolutely gorgeous, I can see why this is such a popular summer destination!
I actually spent more time on the deck during the day than at night! I like standing on the deck and just overlook the whole mesa view, star gazing is great but the place is just so quiet at night it could be a bit creepy! There's no light pollution at all but I did not see as many stars as I expected though, I'm not sure if it's because of the season? I was there during full moon so I enjoyed moon-gazing more than star gazing
Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:14 pm

Exclamation

hi guys,

i just had to reply to this when i saw the awful pictures! here is a site i have found that has a few pictures of Amangiri

also there is a fan page on facebook where you can find a bit more info

anyway hope this helps!

Last edited by summertime; May 14, 2015 at 1:58 am
Old Apr 10, 2010, 7:58 pm

I found a great video of the resort and surroundings here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXhvgPnsvSw
Old May 17, 2010, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold MM, AmEx Plat
Just returned from several days at Amangiri. & thought I’d share my impressions. Drove there from Zion Natl Park, then drove back up to Bryce Cyn NP (flew in/out of SGU). Had a mesa view rm - as described by others above, with great views and lots of privacy.
What I liked: Setting is spectacular and landscape is otherworldly. Very isolated, great place to wind down/relax.
What needs work imho: 1) Noise level: There’s literally no quiet place to relax indoors if one wants to just sit & read. Layout of the main ‘great room’ is all very open plan as other posters have shown; not much to absorb the sound. So while there are lots of seating areas in the great room, one can always hear the guest assistants/kitchen staff (also open)/other guests talking, at times quite loudly. There are several stunning outdoor areas with lots of (fixed) seating – but the weather was chilly/windy/rainy on some days. I just wanted to go somewhere and read quietly – ended up sitting in the large unused yoga studio. (Spa has lovely sitting area but it’s candle-lit and intentionally kept very dark.)
Additionally towards the end of our stay, 2 company work groups were there and that further upped the noise factor. Really changed the tone and tenor of the whole resort.
This lack of quiet indoor space really bothered me throughout our stay.
2) Service and staff are on a learning curve and the whole place feels a bit like it’s still getting organized. I’ve stayed at a handful of other Amans around the world over the past 15+ years (including Amangani when just opened as well as since); this property just didn’t feel like it was quite ‘there’ yet in terms of service overall. Lots of little things, and the attitude and training of the staff in general just left something to be desired.
(Also, fwiw note that the gallery/boutique isn't yet open; they had some logo shirts & caps on hand and a small selection of jewelry, pottery and paintings but it wasn’t organized and the boutique was not officially open for business.)
Matters of personal opinion: 1) Overall look: The concrete, linear layout and lack of art all combined to create a distinct look that was spartan and almost barren. Love it or hate it. In any case, a very different feel from both Amangani as well as the worldwide Amans.
2) The chaises/sitting areas in the rooms and terraces/lounges were either built-in or hard to move (as at the pool decks). In the room, there was no comfy chair to sit on that one could move (either indoors or out). I took it for granted that I’d be able to move a lounge-type chair around our patios, but no; when I asked, I was told that there were no true ‘lounge chairs’ that one could move in/out of the sun. (I even thought about driving in to the Wal-Mart in Page for an inexpensive lawn chair.) Seems a shame that one can’t move a simple chair around as one wishes.
Overall: Glad I went – interesting property, a nice break from hiking the national parks and a pleasant place to unwind. Still has a ways to go in terms of service and warmth. I’d consider returning if I were otherwise in the area and wanted a respite for a couple of days – but I’d bring my own lounge chair (not really joking).
Thanks to all the other posters for the previous info and their takes on it, too - very helpful in planning.
Old May 18, 2010, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by zigzag
2. Prickly pear margaritas are delicious and not listed on the menu make sure you ask for them they are great.
They're on the menu for sure, but they are AMAZING.
Old May 30, 2010, 7:34 am

Stayed four nights in a mesa view room.
I agree with gemmablonds review, though for me I didn't find the place noisy.
Amangiri felt isolated and otherworldly, like going back in time a million years. A great place to write or "find yourself."

My biggest negative was the slow service while dining. To get a refill on your ice tea always seemed to be a big deal. For me, lunch/dinner was a drawn out affair. Much too long to get through a meal.

Positives: Location, feeling of "getting away," quality of food, the indoor/outdoor quality of the rooms & view.

Regarding the architecture, I could see how it could be polarizing. Its extreme without fault. Only in a few non-essential places did I feel the concrete was too much, but overall commend Amangiri for not watering it down. IMHO, the spa waiting area was an example of where the concrete was overwhelming & exuded some coldness. Also, with some of the lighting combined with the concrete, images of a concentration camp might bubble up. But, overall, the architecture/decorum gets an A in my book.

Activities: Off property hike, vera ferrata, & off road slot canyon tour. All
excellent.

Spa: I did the 3 day "Spa Journey." The spa did a great job arranging my treatments, so I didn't feel rushed while doing off resort activities,etc..
All the treatments were excellent, but I'm not a spa junkie either. A massage followed by 30 minutes in the floatation tank, was the most interesting.
Old May 30, 2010, 6:53 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Amangiri - Favorite resort US

Hi,

Just having spent a glorious 5 days at the Amangiri resort this week, I must conclude that this is by far my favorite resort in US, completely different from all of the places that I have stayed in before.

The resort is stunning in every sense of the word - and unlike any setting that I have been to - the only one that is comparable is Namibia. While could be a bit better, the setting and the resort infrastructure is really the key attraction! It is very peaceful here - your mind automatically tunes out of the daily worries with the majestic view of the landscape. If you are looking to relax mentally and spiritually, this is the place.

Everywhere you look - either from your room (which is my favorite), the various public sitting areas, the pool - everywhere is stunning. Takes your breath away!

It's a bit of a travel.... We connected in Denver and took the "Great Lakes airlines" propeller plan to PAGE airport. In hindsight, we would not do that again - the plane is very small (Beechcraft), and we experience quite a bit of turbulence - flight is almost 2 hours - with one stopover in Farmington. Most people who come to Amangiri drive from either Phoenix or Las Vegas (4 hours away) apparently through some very beautiful Zion parkland.

We will definitely be back to this resort again, and will probably flight out of Pheonix (45minutes) rather than Denver.

We booked the MESA Pool room - as mentioned by previous posters, the inside of the room are exactly the same. However, with the Mesa Pool room, we have a large plunge pool, a large courtyard with dining table outdoor, a sunbed, and on the roof, a bed for gazing the stars at night.

The MESA view (versus the DESSERT view) is much nicer and more private. Ask for Rooms 25 and above. It is also much closer to the SPA (which btw is fantastic)!

A lot of people mentioned the concrete nature of the resort - All I can say is that it blends into the rocks very well - It may feel cold, but that is the intent and if feels very natural rather than concrete, and helps clear the mind.

The interior finishing is top notch, and the food is superb! there is a fireplace in the balcony which we sat the entire evening gazing at the rocks and reading our books.

We checked out the SPA - did a SPA treatment everyday. Although I am not a SPA fanatic, the treatment is local. I especially loved the floating chamber - you float on salt water with the music playing and the room pitched dark for 30 minutes.. You mind just clears out all the worries.

While the service can be slow, it didn't bothered us, as the setting so spectacular and we were in a slow, relaxed mood the whole time.

The hotel offers some great free activities - 1.5h hike trips around the resort twice a day (10-1130 and 3-4:30), as well as free YOGA class in the morning on the rocks (quite an experience).

Overall a stunning property... we will be back in December for another 7 days of pure mind and body relaxation.

I will post the pictures below...
Old May 30, 2010, 6:54 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Pictures of Amangiri

Pictures of our stay at the Amangiri

Last edited by ACfly; May 30, 2010 at 9:18 pm
Old May 31, 2010, 11:37 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Thanks for the pics and the review ACFly. Great to see that we are getting more and more positive reviews on this property. And for what its worth, I really think the best way to get to Amangiri is to drive. It sets the tone for the rest of the stay.

Originally Posted by gemmablond
What needs work imho: 1) Noise level: There’s literally no quiet place to relax indoors if one wants to just sit & read. Layout of the main ‘great room’ is all very open plan as other posters have shown; not much to absorb the sound. So while there are lots of seating areas in the great room, one can always hear the guest assistants/kitchen staff (also open)/other guests talking, at times quite loudly.
Originally Posted by kmklint
I agree with gemmablonds review, though for me I didn't find the place noisy.
I think the difference between your experiences lies in the number of guests at the resort. During our visit there were very few people there. We almost had the resort to ourselves so the common room was very quiet. But I can see how this changes when you have two corporate groups there who utilise the meeting room and regard the common room as a break out area.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 4:59 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Really nice pictures, ACFly. I like the orange fabric on the ceilings! A little splash of color...
Old Jun 1, 2010, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

indeed great pics/info. ^ i dont understand the room design, especially the private pool rooms. will be interesting to see what villa rates are like.

how do the indonesian amans handle corporate groups?
Old Jun 1, 2010, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
indeed great pics/info. ^ i dont understand the room design, especially the private pool rooms. will be interesting to see what villa rates are like.

how do the indonesian amans handle corporate groups?
They say things like "what's a corporate group?". In fact, many of the Indonesian Amans have small boardrooms to cater for discreet board meetings, but we are only talking 8-10 people maximum. I don't think I have ever seen a corporate group, or any other group at an Aman.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.