Wiki Posts
Search

Best Hotel in Seoul

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2023, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
I was under the impression that Four Seasons did not have club lounges in their hotels, but after reading these posts, I'm apparently misinformed. Is it only a small percentage of their hotels that offer club lounges such as the one in Seoul, or are they widespread?
Only in certain Asian markets like HK, KL and Seoul.
Nagasaki Joe likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 10:15 pm

Most five star hotels have club or executive lounges in Seoul. I think it played as a factor to have one at Four Seasons Seoul. FS Seoul lounge is quite and private even though they allow children.

Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
I was under the impression that Four Seasons did not have club lounges in their hotels, but after reading these posts, I'm apparently misinformed. Is it only a small percentage of their hotels that offer club lounges such as the one in Seoul, or are they widespread?
Nagasaki Joe likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 2:10 am

Any thoughts on Conrad vs PH? We are currently in the FS (which I quite like) but were thinking to stay south of the River for a bit. The Conrad goes for ~250 gbp per night vs ~350 for the PH via Amex FHR. I have a Diamond status with Hilton, nothing with Hyatt. Both seem to be a downgrade from the FS.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Freddorick
Any thoughts on Conrad vs PH? We are currently in the FS (which I quite like) but were thinking to stay south of the River for a bit. The Conrad goes for ~250 gbp per night vs ~350 for the PH via Amex FHR. I have a Diamond status with Hilton, nothing with Hyatt. Both seem to be a downgrade from the FS.
Better value with Conrad and being a Hilton Diamond. PH isn't worth an extra 100 quid with no status and a measly FHR booking.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 5:19 pm

We recently wrapped up a week in Seoul, splitting it between the JW Marriott Seoul and Four Seasons. After experiencing both, I don't think there's any question that Four Seasons is a superior hotel. JW was fine, just underwhelming in most regards. Some thoughts about both properties...

JW Marriott Seoul
- Location is excellent. Even though we didn't shop much at the attached Shinsegae department store, it was nice having many restaurants, a market, and the subway all in the same building. It was also easy enough to navigate.
- We booked the Griffin suite and it was just okay. The furniture layout in the living area was rather odd, with a large empty corner. View of the river and Namsan Tower were nice. There was some wear and tear (missing tile under the sink, chips/cracks in paint and doors). The shower was small and amenities were average. The shower temperature was very tough to control, with it either being ice cold or scalding hot and little middle ground. The bed was nice and comfortable. The curtains in the bedroom didn't shut completely to black out the room and there was a lot of ambient light from the various controls in the room, which was rather annoying.
- Breakfast in the lounge was underwhelming. It was partly my fault for booking the suite not knowing that it only included breakfast in the Executive Lounge, not the restaurant Flavors, which we were told would run us over 120,000 KRW each for breakfast. In hindsight, it would have been better to book the "Bed and Breakfast" deal rate for only 20,000 KRW more per night. Also annoying was there was no regular coffee in the lounge, only Americanos.
- Service was unremarkable. Everyone was nice and as helpful as they could be, but no one went above and beyond. We had small children and had to ask for the children's plates and utensils at breakfast half the time. The concierge was unable to get us a taxi one morning and we had to ask a family member to come pick us up, which was disappointing. The front doormen were hit or miss in terms of helping us with our bags and getting in and out of the cars.
- The hotel is fine for a short stay and especially if on business, but I doubt I'll be back.

Four Seasons
- Location is the only downside here. It's terrible for regular travelers spending most of their time south of the Han river. Driving to the hotel is a nightmare in the evenings and probably even worse when protests are taking place. It's a short walk to the subway station.
- We booked the Premier room and it was quite nice. Layout and furniture were good. The window shades blacked out the room entirely. The shower was large and amenities were great.
- Breakfast at Market had an extensive selection, but a lot of it fell a bit flat in terms of taste. We went back for the dinner buffet one night and it was absolutely excellent.
- Service was excellent. Someone always helped us load and unload everything from the cars. The staff would randomly come to greet our children by name and hand them small toys and activities to keep them busy. The doorman even gave us directions to the subway which involved the least amount of uphill walk since we had strollers. Everyone greeted us with a smile and we felt at home.

To be honest, as much as we loved the Four Seasons, we'll probably go back to the Conrad the next time we visit Seoul. Although we haven't been there since before the pandemic, our memory of it was great. They have an excellent breakfast, very close proximity to a mall with lots of shopping and restaurants, and an overall ideal location for us going out and about.
mynameisdmoon likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thinkorswim
We recently wrapped up a week in Seoul, splitting it between the JW Marriott Seoul and Four Seasons. After experiencing both, I don't think there's any question that Four Seasons is a superior hotel. JW was fine, just underwhelming in most regards. Some thoughts about both properties...

JW Marriott Seoul
- Location is excellent. Even though we didn't shop much at the attached Shinsegae department store, it was nice having many restaurants, a market, and the subway all in the same building. It was also easy enough to navigate.
- We booked the Griffin suite and it was just okay. The furniture layout in the living area was rather odd, with a large empty corner. View of the river and Namsan Tower were nice. There was some wear and tear (missing tile under the sink, chips/cracks in paint and doors). The shower was small and amenities were average. The shower temperature was very tough to control, with it either being ice cold or scalding hot and little middle ground. The bed was nice and comfortable. The curtains in the bedroom didn't shut completely to black out the room and there was a lot of ambient light from the various controls in the room, which was rather annoying.
- Breakfast in the lounge was underwhelming. It was partly my fault for booking the suite not knowing that it only included breakfast in the Executive Lounge, not the restaurant Flavors, which we were told would run us over 120,000 KRW each for breakfast. In hindsight, it would have been better to book the "Bed and Breakfast" deal rate for only 20,000 KRW more per night. Also annoying was there was no regular coffee in the lounge, only Americanos.
- Service was unremarkable. Everyone was nice and as helpful as they could be, but no one went above and beyond. We had small children and had to ask for the children's plates and utensils at breakfast half the time. The concierge was unable to get us a taxi one morning and we had to ask a family member to come pick us up, which was disappointing. The front doormen were hit or miss in terms of helping us with our bags and getting in and out of the cars.
- The hotel is fine for a short stay and especially if on business, but I doubt I'll be back.

Four Seasons
- Location is the only downside here. It's terrible for regular travelers spending most of their time south of the Han river. Driving to the hotel is a nightmare in the evenings and probably even worse when protests are taking place. It's a short walk to the subway station.
- We booked the Premier room and it was quite nice. Layout and furniture were good. The window shades blacked out the room entirely. The shower was large and amenities were great.
- Breakfast at Market had an extensive selection, but a lot of it fell a bit flat in terms of taste. We went back for the dinner buffet one night and it was absolutely excellent.
- Service was excellent. Someone always helped us load and unload everything from the cars. The staff would randomly come to greet our children by name and hand them small toys and activities to keep them busy. The doorman even gave us directions to the subway which involved the least amount of uphill walk since we had strollers. Everyone greeted us with a smile and we felt at home.

To be honest, as much as we loved the Four Seasons, we'll probably go back to the Conrad the next time we visit Seoul. Although we haven't been there since before the pandemic, our memory of it was great. They have an excellent breakfast, very close proximity to a mall with lots of shopping and restaurants, and an overall ideal location for us going out and about.
re: JW Marriott Seoul

It was just a cheaply and poorly done renovation. The rooms look incomplete with the window side being new and the foyer/bathrooms still old. It would win the title for worst Seoul luxury hotel renovation if Grand Hyatt didn't do an even more terrible job.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by thinkorswim

Good to know that Conrad is a great place to stay. My only experience in a Conrad property was one in Indianapolis, USA. I had a great stay there. I will check out Conrad Seoul on my next visit! Thanks for sharing a great review.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
re: JW Marriott Seoul

It was just a cheaply and poorly done renovation. The rooms look incomplete with the window side being new and the foyer/bathrooms still old. It would win the title for worst Seoul luxury hotel renovation if Grand Hyatt didn't do an even more terrible job.
That's what it felt like. The furniture in the living area was also unpractical and poorly arranged. The sofa had a "table" of sorts built into one section, so you could not lay across it on that segment. The furniture was also all crammed into one side of the living space in front of the television, with a large empty space on the other side of the room. They could have easily moved the table there and set up another chair or two.

Originally Posted by danlee200
Good to know that Conrad is a great place to stay. My only experience in a Conrad property was one in Indianapolis, USA. I had a great stay there. I will check out Conrad Seoul on my next visit! Thanks for sharing a great review.
Conrad is good for what we need, at least from what I recall from our last stay in 2019. We visit Seoul every other year or so and know the city well, so we are out and about a lot. For this reason, we mostly need a hotel with an ideal location and someplace that is comfortable to come back and rest. We don't spend much time at the hotel outside of breakfast and when we return in the evening. Most of our other meals are elsewhere in the city. If we were to spend more time at the hotel, such as staycationers may do, then Four Seasons is a clear winner.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 11:53 am

Programs: AP 50k, UA Silver, MB Titanium, HH Diamond
Y'all are making me rethink my booking at JW (320k KRW per night after taxes). Also have Le Meridien booked for 286k KRW per night after taxes, which I'll most likely won't get upgrades at but the hard product is probably much nicer at this point, and probably better breakfast & lounge offerings?
Old Mar 29, 2023, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mynameisdmoon
Y'all are making me rethink my booking at JW (320k KRW per night after taxes). Also have Le Meridien booked for 286k KRW per night after taxes, which I'll most likely won't get upgrades at but the hard product is probably much nicer at this point, and probably better breakfast & lounge offerings?
This decision is probably best left to the Marriott forum but from my limited experience - Le Meridien is probably a better value proposition.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by mynameisdmoon
I stayed at the Meridien and it was ok. Like many hotels in Seoul in winter it had some heating issues and the room temperature rose to 26C during the first night. Hardware is very new (I think it opened Nov 22) and the location is great. I thought that the furnishings were a little bit odd and random. Their corner rooms are quite nice. The entrance to the hotel is very strange, you will first have to go down into the basement, then take the elevator to level 4, then take another elevator to your room.

I wasn’t a big fan of the Conrad. The upgrade we received as Diamonds was quite weak. The rooms are in need of a refresh and they kind of lack a couch table. They use lots of dark grey in the room which makes it look somewhat depressive, but I guess tastes differ. We had a river view room and the view was indeed great.
The bed was the most uncomfortable I had in Seoul (unless you like really hard beds in which case it is great). The evening offering is not bad, but you will have to pick a slot (5-6pm or 6:15-7pm). If you show up at 5:45pm, you’ll be asked to leave at 6 and will have queue again for reentry, even if the queue is very short and the lounge has many seats.
They have a pool but if I understood them correctly you’ll have to bring your own swimming cap. Sauna and jacuzzi are chargeable.
I would describe the location as convenient. It is connected to two malls so there is lots of shopping and transport links are good too. Unless you have any plans to do things in yeouido, you end up travelling to places.
We booked a 3rd night free rate via FHR and ended up paying 205 gbp or so per night which was a bit less than the Meridien during the same dates. If I had to pick again, I would choose the Meridien over the Conrad.
The FS was clearly my favourite hotel in Seoul by a wide margin.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Apr 1, 2023 at 7:23 pm Reason: Consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 2, 2023, 8:00 am

Thank you for sharing your experience of Conrad Seoul. This really helps.
Originally Posted by Freddorick

I wasn’t a big fan of the Conrad. The upgrade we received as Diamonds was quite weak. The rooms are in need of a refresh and they kind of lack a couch table. They use lots of dark grey in the room which makes it look somewhat depressive, but I guess tastes differ. We had a river view room and the view was indeed great.
The evening offering is not bad, but you will have to pick a slot (5-6pm or 6:15-7pm). If you show up at 5:45pm, you’ll be asked to leave at 6 and will have queue again for reentry, even if the queue is very short and the lounge has many seats.

The FS was clearly my favourite hotel in Seoul by a wide margin.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 10:42 am

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Thank you for sharing your experience of Conrad Seoul. This really helps.
For me it is all about location and what I need to do given how crazy traffic, etc can be. North of the river - I think still the FS or Shilla; southeast - Park Hyatt until something better comes along (the construction around the hotel recently has been a problem); southwest - maybe Conrad, but Yeouido is a dull place. Haven't tried Josun Palace.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by grumbler
For me it is all about location and what I need to do given how crazy traffic, etc can be. North of the river - I think still the FS or Shilla; southeast - Park Hyatt until something better comes along (the construction around the hotel recently has been a problem); southwest - maybe Conrad, but Yeouido is a dull place. Haven't tried Josun Palace.
Don't bother. Probably no. 1 in Seoul for guests' capital extraction and typical Korean faux-luxe cheapo room construction.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 6:49 am

Thank you for your input. I tend to stay at FS, yet I'm not a big fan of providing my room number and name at the sauna, fitness, Charles H. Bar, and executive lounge. Shilla is much better in amenity access since I use my room card to check in without revealing my name and room number in front of other guests.

Originally Posted by grumbler

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.