Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Hotel in Seoul

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Aventine
Not at all. Would be equivalent to a 3 or 4 star hotel but acceptable if you just want to crash for a night after the kids wear you out at Lotteworld. Signiel Seoul in the Lotte World Tower would be the only thing even luxurious near there. Even that hotel is just a luxury facade with high room rates and poor service.
Thanks good to know!! ^
Old Aug 10, 2021, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by Lambi
Yeah I agree, but I only agree because there's only one true top luxury hotel in Seoul, and that's the Four Seasons. I prefer Westin over GH, JW, Lotte, Conrad and Shilla (Shilla should be good, but awful location, pool only open during the summer, duty free shop, heavy traffic from non guests, one of the worst 3* Michelin I've eaten at - knocks it down for me). So if you for some reason can't stay at FS and prefer location, F&B, pool, gym and don't need butler service and the like - Westin for me is a solid option in the "normal" 5 star segment.
Bumping this thread to see if anybody's had try at the Josun Palace in Gangnam, the first luxury collection in Korea. Reviews seem mediocre at best but most reviews appear to be from staycationers complaining about lack of hot items during the 'free alcohol happy hour' and the considerably higher room rates. Am wondering if there are any experiences/reviews from the globe trotters of FT?
Old Aug 10, 2021, 3:00 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by jaejaez
Bumping this thread to see if anybody's had try at the Josun Palace in Gangnam, the first luxury collection in Korea. Reviews seem mediocre at best but most reviews appear to be from staycationers complaining about lack of hot items during the 'free alcohol happy hour' and the considerably higher room rates. Am wondering if there are any experiences/reviews from the globe trotters of FT?
The hardware looks great, but sadly haven't been on anything except domestic flights as of late.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jaejaez
The entire hotel seems contrived and they do charge some of the highest rack rates in the city. I would not stay here again over FS because I know I always receive much better treatment at FS (being a long time guest, FSPP, etc). Being a Marriott bottom feeder got me exactly what I paid for.

Pool much too small but that seems to afflict most new builds in Korea.
The Chinese restaurant is excellent because Chairman Chung loves all kinds of Chinese cuisines. I'm guessing it'll get a Michelin star like Yu yuan did.
scented likes this.

Last edited by Aventine; Aug 11, 2021 at 4:47 pm
Old Aug 12, 2021, 2:20 am

The entire hotel seems contrived and they do charge some of the highest rack rates in the city. I would not stay here again over FS because I know I always receive much better treatment at FS (being a long time guest, FSPP, etc). Being a Marriott bottom feeder got me exactly what I paid for.

Pool much too small but that seems to afflict most new builds in Korea.
The Chinese restaurant is excellent because Chairman Chung loves all kinds of Chinese cuisines. I'm guessing it'll get a Michelin star like Yu yuan did.
Are you still based in Seoul? How is FS doing these days under new GM and new HM? I guess with all staycationers business must be good, despite Covid. Shame I cannot get into Korea without quarantine.

Esther O-K had a short stint at FS London, then left shortly afterwards, did a Task Force in Surfside and is now HM at FS LA. I hoped she'd be GM now, but hopefully soon.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scented
Are you still based in Seoul? How is FS doing these days under new GM and new HM? I guess with all staycationers business must be good, despite Covid. Shame I cannot get into Korea without quarantine.

Esther O-K had a short stint at FS London, then left shortly afterwards, did a Task Force in Surfside and is now HM at FS LA. I hoped she'd be GM now, but hopefully soon.
I think FS has come into its own now and rightfully deserves the Seoul top luxury hotel title. It's certainly the best for future international guests in this forum. Fairmont tries hard with impressive F&B but guest services has a long way to go. Also, not a fan of their CBD Yeouido location.

Business is probably quite good for all the luxury properties since international travel is almost non-existent for Korea. A lot of money to put into luxury staycations.
scented likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Josun Palace pics

Some of the ugliest and most uncomfortable chairs I've ever sat in. More to come later.

Very nice pool that can get very crowded on the weekends.

Byredo toiletries.

Last edited by Aventine; Aug 16, 2021 at 11:04 am
Old Aug 16, 2021, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fairmont Ambassador Seoul

Just including it because Seoul lacks the usual LF choices beyond FS.

I had high hopes for this property and was hoping Fairmont could shake up the Seoul luxury hotel scene. Not to be.
Rooms feel cheap and business hotel like. Plenty of the usual service and staff teething issues. Office tower or apartment views.

Old Aug 17, 2021, 7:23 pm

Programs: Quintessentially Elite, Amex Cent, UA* Lifetime Plat (2mm+), AA CK (6mm+)
4S remains one of the top choices in Seoul. It's just a brilliant property.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas
4S remains one of the top choices in Seoul. It's just a brilliant property.
Probably the only LF choice.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 7:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, OZ Diamond
Probably the only LF choice.
I'm thinking of checking out Josun Palace out of curiosity and wanted to hear your thoughts. Contemplating booking several nights or should I just cut it short just to experience it once.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by suitelucia
I'm thinking of checking out Josun Palace out of curiosity and wanted to hear your thoughts. Contemplating booking several nights or should I just cut it short just to experience it once.
I don't have a high opinion of the future Josun brand flagship hotel. It's so very Gangnam - all flash and very little substance. I think a certain kind of domestic crowd would like it but seasoned travelers in this forum may not. I would suggest checking it out for yourself.
scented likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

State of Seoul luxury - Nov 2021

South Korea has adopted a Living with COVID strategy, meaning, all hotels are allowed to go back to 100% occupancy rates and no restrictions on group gatherings or bar curfews. All hotels mandated to use refillable pumps in hotel rooms with ban on small plastic toiletries from 2022.

Tourists may be allowed back in early 2022.

Andaz Seoul Gangnam- Best Hyatt choice for new room hardware and location. Not really a luxury hotel with terrible F&B outlets.

Conrad Seoul - aging hardware with many rooms showing wear and tear. Recently sold to a new owner along with the IFC Mall complex.

Grand Hyatt Seoul - not Luxury Forum worthy at all. Worse base rooms in the 5* and above category.

FS Seoul - still market leader but near recently reconstituted political rallies and protests. Traffic hell with police and redevelopment of Gwanghwamun square. Executive Lounge has slipped a few notches in quality of offerings.

Josun Palace (a Luxury Collection hotel) - the best Marriott property in the city but stingy with benefits. I would rather pay the same (or less!) and stay at FS and with FSPP.

Park Hyatt Seoul - Still not renovated and living off F&B improvements made by previous regime. I would still rather stay at FS.

Fairmont - Still staff service issues and poor hard product.

Shilla - Best executive lounge in Seoul but whole hotel just always very crowded.

Sofitel Ambassador Seoul - opened last month in Jamsil, southern Seoul. Great hard product but soft product still a work in progress. Many first time staffers and poor service levels.

A very nice indoor infinity pool.

Last edited by Aventine; Nov 10, 2021 at 5:22 am
Old Nov 8, 2021, 11:41 am

Is Dabinett still reigning cost cutting over the Park Hyatt there?
Old Nov 8, 2021, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scented
Is Dabinett still reigning cost cutting over the Park Hyatt there?
I don't think he's going anywhere.

Park Hyatt Seoul also outsourced their spa services to a local company named Ocelas. Another cost cutting measure, I suppose.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Nov 10, 2021 at 1:03 pm Reason: Consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.