FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Transporting a painting (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/986145-transporting-painting.html)

sfosenkid Aug 18, 2009 12:49 am

Transporting a painting

Hi,

I would like to take a painting with me on a LH flight. It is 100cm x 75cm x 15cm in terms of dimensions. I have packed in bubble wrap, but I am concerned it might be damaged if checked.

Is it possible to take this as a carry-on?

One of the connections is on a Canadair Regional Jet 200 (Lufthansa Cityline), the other one on a A340-600, both in Business Class.

What do you think?

Thanks.

totti Aug 18, 2009 2:01 am

I won't check in a painting for sure if it's just packed in bubble wrap. If the painting is of any value I'd use a professional service: they'll use a wooden box for shipping and will take care of insurance. Such a service is rather expensive though. Otherwise I'd try to get a wooden box myself and check the painting or call LH in advance and ask them if you are allowed to bring it on board. I'd more concerned about the Canadair flight.

Good luck!

pilatusguy Aug 18, 2009 2:36 am

I don't think you can actually physically fit this into the Canadair Jet Cabin. The only place I could imagine is in the coat-hanger (not sure if they have it anymore though:confused:). The A346 should be OK, I've seen people with larger objects in the cabin traveling from the US.
Also note that according to the carry-on baggage rule you are not allowed to bring it on board, so if you encounter a FA who has a bad day she can make you check it (if you connect thru FRA the chance to get one of these FA's is pretty much 100% :td:)
Lufthansa Carry-on Bag Policy: http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...l=en&cid=18003

totti Aug 18, 2009 3:20 am

Originally Posted by pilatusguy (Post 12242010)
I don't think you can actually physically fit this into the Canadair Jet Cabin. The only place I could imagine is in the coat-hanger (not sure if they have it anymore though:confused:).

If you have a free seat next to you it should be ok as well.

Originally Posted by pilatusguy (Post 12242010)
Also note that according to the carry-on baggage rule you are not allowed to bring it on board, so if you encounter a FA who has a bad day she can make you check it (if you connect thru FRA the chance to get one of these FA's is pretty much 100% :td:)

I don't agree on the FRA part. There is a difference between MUC and FRA crews with no doubt but it is simply not true that all (or even close to 100%) FRA FAs are unfriendly. I have had very pleasant flights with FRA based crews as well - definitely more than 50% of my flights.

DownUnderFlyer Aug 18, 2009 4:59 am

We have transported artwork on planes before and I agree that it needs more than bubble wrap. Sometimes a good carton might do but you must be the judge. The object needs to be wrapped so you can throw it.

andre1970 Aug 18, 2009 5:00 am

Originally Posted by sfosenkid (Post 12241834)
Hi,

I would like to take a painting with me on a LH flight. It is 100cm x 75cm x 15cm in terms of dimensions. I have packed in bubble wrap, but I am concerned it might be damaged if checked.

Is it possible to take this as a carry-on?

One of the connections is on a Canadair Regional Jet 200 (Lufthansa Cityline), the other one on a A340-600, both in Business Class.

What do you think?

Thanks.

Is it on paper, cloth, or canvas? What is the paint medium? Is it framed or still in stretchers?

Depending on your answer to the above questions you may find it easier to detach it from the stretcher bars, roll it and put it in a sturdy mailing tube.

Problem solved.

Unterwegs Aug 18, 2009 5:24 am

If you cannot roll the painting and put it in a tube i believe this is significantly too big to take on board. 100 x 75 is 4 times bigger than the maximum size. Yu can usually get away with a tube which is longer.

So checking is the other option. But you will have two problems:
First, the regional jetz have very small baggage compartments and even some sports equipment is too big for them. So you need to check if it fits there.
Second the packaging. You can never be sure that they put it on top of other baggage. Imagine your painting unevenly loaded with 20 other suitcases on top.

A friend of mine wanted to ship an antique mirror once from the US to Germany - smaller than your painting and researched all the options. At the end he was using a professional freight forwarder, packing in a wooden crate. And it was expensive.

Check this out:
http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...0390#ancN65836

totti Aug 18, 2009 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Unterwegs (Post 12242330)
100 x 75 is 4 times bigger than the maximum size.

Sorry for being pedantic but I don't get the math. The max. size is 55 x 40 x 20 or 57 x 54 x 15 for a garment bag. So it is not even the double size but close to it. Anyway I agree that it is not easy to get the painting on board.

I agree with andre1970 that using a poster tube might be a solution. The op may want to talk to an expert though as wrong transportation can have serious consequences.

pilatusguy Aug 18, 2009 6:30 am

Originally Posted by totti (Post 12242102)
I don't agree on the FRA part. There is a difference between MUC and FRA crews with no doubt but it is simply not true that all (or even close to 100%) FRA FAs are unfriendly. I have had very pleasant flights with FRA based crews as well - definitely more than 50% of my flights.

Probably bad luck on my part but then hey - I mostly sleep on planes anyway ;)

NewbieRunner Aug 18, 2009 6:38 am

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...gulations.html

capetonian Aug 18, 2009 8:11 am

I once took a painting of similar size with me AMS-VIE-JNB-CPT. I had no problem at all. I asked the FA nicely if they would have a good place to store it. They took it on all flights and I got it back undamaged. That was also only wrapped in bubble wrap.

sfosenkid Aug 18, 2009 8:38 am

Hi, thanks for your many comments.

The painting cannot be rolled, that would damage the painting. I also agree that checking the painting is probably not a good idea.

I agree the Canadair Regional flight (MUC>STR) is probably the bigger problem in terms of storage. I will sit in Business Class, so that mean the seat next to me will be empty, but I don't think a painting fo these dimensions would fit on the seat?

Are there closets like there are on say the A340 on these small regional jets?

I saw Lufthansa always allows transporting a wheelchair for free on all flights, so if there is room for a wheelchair on all planes, it seems there should be room for such a painting as well?

Thanks.

fradoc Aug 18, 2009 8:59 am

I would recommend checking with LH SEN hotline and ask them for help. And do not forget customs :(. The painting probably must be declared in advance if it exceeds a certain value (Click here for the website of German customs.) Enjoy your trip,
fradoc

sfosenkid Aug 18, 2009 9:09 am

Originally Posted by fradoc (Post 12243214)
I would recommend checking with LH SEN hotline and ask them for help. And do not forget customs :(. The painting probably must be declared in advance if it exceeds a certain value (Click here for the website of German customs.) Enjoy your trip,
fradoc

Hmm.. the painting was originally purchased in France for around 4000 Euros about 15 years ago, and brought to the US in 2004. However, I don't think I have any more receipts to prove that.. The painter is a contemporary French artist though..

kacheng Aug 18, 2009 11:01 am

3 years ago I bought a painting your size on a flea market in Barcelona. Was no problem to bring it onboard a B737 in addition to a Jamón Ibérico.
But as it outsizes the max size you just cannot count on it.