FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Connecting in Frankfurt [FRA] 2009-2023 (retired) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/982019-connecting-frankfurt-fra-2009-2023-retired.html)

NewbieRunner Aug 4, 2009 4:20 pm

Connecting in Frankfurt [FRA] 2009-2023 (retired)

*** Follow this link for the current version of this thread ***

This guide is meant to be for passengers connecting between LH Group airlines and to/from Star Alliance flights in Frankfurt possibly for the first time. Please post all other FRA connection questions in the relevant airline's forum or in the Germany forum.

I will try and keep a summary in the first few posts so visitors can see all pertinent information straight away before asking more specific questions. Please post any corrections or additions which I will try and incorporate.

Basics or "Follow the signs"

Frankfurt Airport (FRA) has two terminals and all Lufthansa and Star Alliance flights use Terminal 1 which is divided into 3 piers: A/Z, B and C (A and Z are the same pier on two floors).

On arrival at FRA check the departure gate number of your connecting flight on the flight display boards even if you already have a boarding pass. If no flight display boards can be found, follow the signs for "Abflug/Departures" and you will eventually come to one.

The "Abflug/Departures" signs may show gate numbers (e.g. A1-16) or gate areas (e.g. B C).

According to the FRA website, the blue signs show you the way to the most important destinations, and the gray ones lead you to service facilities.

If immigration or passport control is required, following the signs to the correct boarding gate should take you through the necessary check points.

If you don't already have a boarding pass for your connecting flight, get one from a Transfer Counter or if within one hour of departure from the departure gate of your onward flight.

Terminals and boarding gate areas
(see below for the definition of Schengen and non-Schengen)

Terminal 1
Pier A : Lufthansa and partner airlines domestic/Schengen (A1-42, A50-69)
Pier B : Lufthansa and partner airlines domestic/Schengen (B1-19) and international/non-Schengen flights (B20-62)
Pier C : Lufthansa intercontinental flights (C13-16), partner and other airlines international flights plus occasional LH flights (C2-11) and domestic/Schengen (C1). Although rarely used there are non-Schengen bus gates (C17-20) at the end of Pier C close to C16.
Pier Z : Above Pier A. Lufthansa and partner airlines international/non-Schengen flights (Z11-25, Z50-69)

Terminal 2
Pier D : Other airlines domestic/Schengen flights (D21-31) and international flights (D1-13)
Pier E : Other airlines domestic/Schengen flights (E21-26) and international flights (E2-11)

Quick transfer guide
(For "domestic" read "domestic/Schengen")

Fraport's printed Transfer Guide with some useful information for connecting passengers is available in pdf format for download.
  • A domestic <--> C (Skyline train or walk through terminal)
  • A domestic/Z international <--> Terminal 2 (Skyline train)
  • A domestic <--> B international (Transfer tunnel or walk through terminal)
  • A domestic <--> B domestic (Transfer tunnel)
  • B international <--> C (walk)
  • B international <--> Terminal 2 (Skyline train)
  • B domestic <--> C (walk)
  • B domestic <--> Terminal 2 (Skyline train)
  • C <--> Terminal 2 (Skyline train or walk)
  • Z international <--> B domestic (Transfer tunnel or walk through terminal)
  • Z international <--> B international (Skyline train)
  • Z international <--> C (Skyline train)

Do I have to clear transfer security?

Check post #3 in this thread.

If you have less than 30 minutes to get to your connecting flight, you may use the Fast Lane at the security checkpoint. There are monitor screens listing eligible "Fast Lane" flights.

Transfer tunnel

The transfer tunnel is in Schengen and links Pier A (domestic/Schengen) and Pier B (domestic/Schengen). The access to the tunnel is via elevators between Gates A15 and A17 (or stairs nearby) and next to Gate B13 (or stairs nearby) but there's no sign for the actual tunnel. Simply following the signs to B gates or A gates should direct you to the elevator leading to the tunnel.

Skyline train

The Skyline train links Pier A/Z, Pier B, Pier C and Terminal 2 Pier D/E. There are two carriages, one carriage is Schengen, out of any security and not in the schengen secure area. The other links non-Schengen areas. There are separate platforms so passengers in Schengen and non-Schengen areas cannot mix. The new stop for Pier C has reduced the walking distance between C13-16 and the rest of T1.

The Skyline train is outside security whether Schengen or non-Schengen. If you take the Skyline train you must (re-)clear security.

How to find arrival and departure gates

To find out which gate your flight is likely to arrive at or depart from, check Lufthansa's Flight Status information. Beware that some flights may arrive at/depart from different gates or even different concourses on any given day from their usual gate area. Frankfurt Airport's website only provides information on exit gates (for baggage claim and going landside) and not the actual arrival gate.

Minimum connection time (MCT)

See the wiki post for details.

Note that the MCT applies if bookings are on one ticket. If flights are on separate tickets or involving a carrier other than *A, additional time must be allowed. Increased security for certain flights means security screening may be required and your arrival and departure gates may be far apart, for example if arriving at an A gate and departing from a C gate.

Bus gates

Many shorthaul and some longhaul flights arrive at remote apron positions and passengers are ferried to the terminal by bus and arrive at "bus gates". Both Schengen and non-Schengen arrivals at bus gates are marked Terminal 1 Area A , BSO (B Schengen Öst), etc. on the LH information page for arrivals.

'AEUW' or A-EU-West is a bus arrival area in Terminal 1A which allows passengers from 'clean' non-Schengen countries (such as the US and UK) to enter secure area of the terminal. AEUW actually uses A7-A10 which are normally previously Schengen bus departure gates located opposite A non-Schengen and A Schengen West bus arrival gates.

A number of departures are also from bus gates and if the connecting flight is from one of these gates it is important to arrive at the designated gate in good time. The following are built as bus gates: A2-9, B1-9, B11-18, B30-33, B50-62, C17-20 though bus departures are also possible from other gates due to operational reasons, for example gates A50+.

Airport maps

A detailed interactive map of the airport may be found at:

https://map.frankfurt-airport.com/

Two pdf maps are also available on lufthansa.com.

Detailed map of Pier A/Z
https://www.lufthansa.com/content/da...nal-a-plan.pdf

Map showing locations of LH lounges
https://www.lufthansa.com/content/da...minal-plan.pdf

Schengen / non-Schengen

If you are travelling between EU countries which ratified the Schengen Treaty, there are no passport checks when crossing borders and flights to and from Schengen countries are treated as "domestic" flights at FRA.

Currently the following 27 countries are in the Schengen area: Belgium, Germany, France, Luxemburg, the Netherlands, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Austria, Greece, Denmark, Finland, Sweden, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Hungary and Croatia. Although not in the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland are also in the Schengen free-travel zone.

Passport control and customs

If arriving from a non-Schengen country and connecting to a Schengen destination, you will go through passport control and customs for your carry-on baggage at FRA. In reality you may not even notice there are customs. You clear customs for any checked baggage at the final destination.

If connecting from non-Schengen to non-Schengen there's no need to go through passport control, though there may be security check points.

If connecting from Schengen to non-Schengen you will go through exit passport control. From A to Z (but not in the other direction) there is a priority passport control lane for C/F/*G passengers. For Y passengers there are separate lanes for EU passport and non-EU passport holders.

Finally...

If all this sounds too complicated remember one thing "Follow the signs", or to quote DownUnderFlyer:

"Just follow the signs. Don't think. Don't apply logic. Just follow the sign. You will get to your destination. You might have to go through security 2-3 times, customs, passport control, tunnels, escalators, elevators, stairs and you feel that you have just walked to your final destination.
But under no circumstances try to make sense of it. You will only get lost."

NewbieRunner Aug 4, 2009 4:21 pm

general logic of gate assignments:
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...de29602e53.jpg

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...-fra-logic.jpg

NewbieRunner Aug 4, 2009 4:21 pm

Do I need to clear transfer security in FRA?

Code:

Arrival      Transfer  Note
gate        security?

A1-42        No        Unless connecting to C.
                        If connecting to B walk through the tunnel to avoid
                        security.
B1-19        No        Unless connecting to C.
B20-63*      Yes
C*          Yes
Z*          Yes        Unless arriving from US, UK, Ireland & Canada,
                        and connecting to A or B1-19.
                        If connecting to B20-63 security could be avoided
                        by going through passport control twice.

Bus gate
ASO,ASW,BSO  No        As A & B Schengen.
ANS*,BNS*    Yes
AEUW*        No        Unlelss connecting to B non-Schengen or C.
                        Also see note for Z arrival above.

* = non-Schengen gates
A after a gate number indicates a non-clean arrival,
  e.g. Z62A is deplaning at Z62 but not into the Z (departure) concourse.

SmilingBoy Aug 5, 2009 4:17 am

^ Thanks for this!

I assume we can comment here?

Regarding the Skyline train, it might be wort mentioning the following: I believe that at least the "Schengen" carriage is landside. I am not a frequent user of the Skyline, so somebody should confirm this: If you are in the Schengen area airside close to gate A17, you can take the lift up to the Skyline train. I believe you leave the sterile area before you get on the train, and once you get off the train at the B/C stop, you are basically dropped landside in the shopping area.

I believe Schengen bus arrivals can also be marked A00, when the bus drops you at the A gates.

And, since I like to nitpick: Liechtenstein is not (yet) part of the Schengen area. They will become member probably within the next few months though. On the other hand, whilst Monaco, San Marino and the Vatican are not part of the Schengen area, they do not have any border controls with Schengen. Not that there are any airports in any of those countries though...

mh492 Aug 5, 2009 9:12 am

Yes, the Schengen bus arrival can also be A00 and when you go left and up the escalator you end up at gates A1-A5. The Schengen arrival at B00 is kinda rare. At least for me.

Arriving from non-Schengen countries like the UK, you can have a gate arrival in A, but then have to go downstairs and still take the bus to the non-Schengen bus arrival in B.

NewbieRunner Aug 6, 2009 12:39 am

Originally Posted by SmilingBoy (Post 12177621)
I assume we can comment here?

I guess that's the idea. ;)

Regarding the Skyline train, it might be wort mentioning the following: I believe that at least the "Schengen" carriage is landside. I am not a frequent user of the Skyline, so somebody should confirm this: If you are in the Schengen area airside close to gate A17, you can take the lift up to the Skyline train. I believe you leave the sterile area before you get on the train, and once you get off the train at the B/C stop, you are basically dropped landside in the shopping area.
I've read in the blog of a guy who travelled on the Sky Line train back and forth between T2 and Pier A a few times (the observation deck was apparently closed) that when he reached from T2 to the Pier A stop he could get off the train but couldn't leave the platform. This suggests that the platform is outside the sterile area.

I've only been on the Sky Line train from non-Schengen to non-Schengen and don't know how you get up to the platform from the Schengen level but a lift makes sense since it's further to go up to the platform. For non-Schengen transfer I used escalators at both ends (A and B/C) but there may also be lifts I didn't notice.

I believe Schengen bus arrivals can also be marked A00, when the bus drops you at the A gates.
I've added A00 as a bus gate in the first post.

And, since I like to nitpick: Liechtenstein is not (yet) part of the Schengen area. They will become member probably within the next few months though. On the other hand, whilst Monaco, San Marino and the Vatican are not part of the Schengen area, they do not have any border controls with Schengen. Not that there are any airports in any of those countries though...
Thanks for this. Teaches me not to copy and paste someone's text. :o I've removed it from the list. BTW I found this interesting list of countries without an airport on Wikipedia (where else?)

NewbieRunner Aug 6, 2009 1:08 am

Originally Posted by mh492 (Post 12178689)
Yes, the Schengen bus arrival can also be A00 and when you go left and up the escalator you end up at gates A1-A5. The Schengen arrival at B00 is kinda rare. At least for me.

There seem to be quite a few B00 arrivals according to LH's FRA arrival and departure information.

BTW, does anyone know what CNS (as an arrival gate) stands for?

Arriving from non-Schengen countries like the UK, you can have a gate arrival in A, but then have to go downstairs and still take the bus to the non-Schengen bus arrival in B.
This can happen to longhaul arrivals as well. :td:

In the evening (after the last TATL flight to BOS has left) UK arrivals often use A gates and pax don't have to be bussed.

Rather than adding details of Pier A in the first post which might cause confusion, I will try and list the quirks and mysteries of non-Schengen Pier A in the second post.

IAN-UK Aug 6, 2009 2:23 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 12182912)
Rather than adding details of Pier A in the first post which might cause confusion, I will try and list the quirks and mysteries of non-Schengen Pier A in the second post.

Given the arrival-departure permutations, the exceptions and the variability, the most useful part of the guide is the final paragraph "Follow the signs..."

NewbieRunner Aug 6, 2009 3:39 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK (Post 12183092)
Given the arrival-departure permutations, the exceptions and the variability, the most useful part of the guide is the final paragraph "Follow the signs..."

Yes, I agree. The guide could have consisted of just three words! :p

But judging from the questions in the old FRA connection thread, most people seem to want more information than just "Follow the signs".

I may add those three words at the beginning of the guide.

jtjonnes Aug 6, 2009 1:10 pm

if i am travelling MAN-FRA-SEA, i would arrive in T1 of FRA. I suppose since i am arriving from a non-Schengen country, I would have to clear immigration. Would I have my bags forwarded to my final destination? and would my connecting flight be far from my arrival point in FRA T1? Thanks.

NewbieRunner Aug 6, 2009 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by jtjonnes (Post 12185569)
if i am travelling MAN-FRA-SEA, i would arrive in T1 of FRA. I suppose since i am arriving from a non-Schengen country, I would have to clear immigration. Would I have my bags forwarded to my final destination? and would my connecting flight be far from my arrival point in FRA T1? Thanks.

I assume you are on LH flights for MAN-FRA-SEA. Your bags can be checked through to SEA when you check-in at MAN.

There's no need to clear immigration at FRA if you are connecting from non-Schengen to non-Schengen. You will probably arrive at a bus gate (though on some days morning MAN flights can arrive at a B gate or even a C gate). The SEA flight will almost certainly depart from one of the non-Schengen A gates (A51-65). Just follow the signs to A51-65. You may have to go through security check but no need to go through passport control.

jtjonnes Aug 6, 2009 1:39 pm

yes, LH all the way through. Thanks for that not having to go through passport control should make it easier.

Greg45 Aug 7, 2009 6:56 am

Thanks erveryone for contributing, especially NewbieRunner!

Let's concentrate on more general questions and not clog this guide with inidividual questions and answers.

My more general concern is how to make a transfer and stay "inside of security" most of the time. Or in other words: how to avoid security screenings at all cost. Looking at the Quick Transfer Guide in the first post I would love to see this info added.

[edited because hch has posted a detailed answer in post #15]

Anyone who has recent experience, please confirm, correct and update - thanks.

NewbieRunner Aug 7, 2009 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Greg45 (Post 12188934)
My more general concern is how to make a transfer and stay "inside of security" most of the time. Or in other words: how to avoid security screenings at all cost.

An interesting question. Perhaps we should start another thread of advanced FRA transfer guide. ;)

hch has sent me a PM with some useful information which I haven't incorporated into the thread yet but which may answer some of the questions.

Skyline: The first car is completely landside, out of any security and not in the schengen secure area. The second car is in the non-Schengen area, but also non-secure as in you'll always need to re-clear secrurity after using it. ... the skyline is a really bad idea for any non-Schengen to Schengen (B/C -> A, or A -> B) transfer because compared to the tunnel you will need to clear security twice instead of just once.

B30-33, B50-59 and B60-62 always require an additional security screening close to the gate area when coming from the normal non-Schengen area, but that you can enter B60-62 directly from the Schengen area with just a passport control.

hch Aug 7, 2009 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Greg45 (Post 12188934)
My more general concern is how to make a transfer and stay "inside of security" most of the time. Or in other words: how to avoid security screenings at all cost. Looking at the Quick Transfer Guide in the first post I would love to see this info added.

Thanks to the EU security nonsense that's getting harder an harder.
Detailed answers below:

1. A non-Schengen <--> B Schengen (Transfer tunnel or walk through terminal)
    • -> impossible. One security needed at least when clearing immigration and security in A and then using the tunnel. When using the Sky Line you will have to re-clear security twice.
    • <- possible. Use the tunnel and the passport control near gate A24
  2. A non-Schengen <--> B non-Schengen (Sky Line train)
    • <-> either way you will have to re-clear security when coming from the sky line train. If using the B bus gates you will have to re-clear security a second time
  3. A non-Schengen <--> C non-Schengen (Sky Line train)
    • <->You will have to re-clear securit both ways after the Sky line.
  4. A Schengen <--> C non-Schengen (Sky Line train or walk through terminal)
    • ->You will have to re-clear security before the C gates either way.
    • <-You will have to re-clear security once when walking landside. You will have to re-clear security twice if usinging the Sky Line. Once when getting off the Sky line an entering A non-Schengen, and a second time after immigration from A non-Schengen to A Schengen
  5. A Schengen / non-Schengen <--> Terminal 2 (Sky Line train)
    • -> You will have to re-clear security at the gate in T2 (T2 has decentral security)
    • <- re-clear security onces at a if using the la domestic use lanside Sky Line . Possibly more when using the airside Sky Line.
  6. A Schengen <--> B non-Schengen (Transfer tunnel or walk through terminal)
    • -> No need to re-clear security for the main B non-Schengen area. Need to re-clear security for the bus gates.
    • <- Need to re-clear security once if using imigration and security in B then the tunnel. If using the Sky Line and immigration A you will need to re-clear security twice.
  7. A Schengen <--> B Schengen (Transfer tunnel or walk through terminal)
    • <->No need to re-clear security if using the tunnel, else once.
  8. B non-Schengen <--> C non-Schengen (walk)
    • <-> Need to re-clear security on the way. Possible twice if using the B bus gates.
  9. B non-Schengen <--> Terminal 2 (Sky Line train)
    • <-> Need to re-clear security after the sky line.
  10. B non-Schengen <--> C non-Schengen (walk)
    • -> Need to re-clear security at the lower C gates or the checkpoint before the higher C gates.
    • <- Need to re-clear security once if going landside. Twice if transfering airside.
  11. B Schengen <--> Terminal 2 (Sky Line train)
    • -> Need to re-clear security at the gate in T2
    • <- Need to re-clear security when using land side Sky Train. Need to re-clear security twice if using airside Sky Line and doing immigration in B.
  12. C non-Schengen <--> Terminal 2 (Sky Line train or walk)
    • <-> Either way security at the gate or gate group. Note that while the C gates (especially C13-16) are right next to T2 there was no connection for pax, so you need to walk all the way back to the main T1 and take the Sky Line / bus to go to T2.
  13. C Schengen <--> anything
    • <-> The single C Schengen gate (C1) is outside of any airside area and you will always have to re-clear security when connecting from/to it.
  14. Terminal 2 <--> Terminal 2
    • <-> You will always have to re-clear security as security is at the gate in Terminal 2.