Wiki Posts
Search

FRA - misssed connection, LH refuses hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2009, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK*G (Elite+)
FRA - misssed connection, LH refuses hotel

Flew LHR-FRA-KTW. Arrived FRA at 21:34, few minutes after that got out from the plane and had to run from terminal A to B (gate 10) to catch my flight to KTW. The transfer path was closed at this time (there was a card that is open till 9pm - which is radiculous). So the guard told me to go out and pass the security, then go to my gate. Flight left the gate 22:23 (Amadeus says so), they closed boarding around 21:55. So I missed the flight, didn't manage to get to the gate on time - even have been running all the time. They rebooked me for free for the next day, but refused to pay for the hotel - the staff said that they don't care about airport problem, MCT was enough. And it's not LH fault that the transfer path was closed.

Do you think I have chance to have the complain accepted? I stayed at the airport all night, so don't have the hotel invoice - they might say that I should go to the hotel. Did any of you have similar case?
Old Jul 24, 2009, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I would strongly complain to LH!
Old Jul 24, 2009, 3:45 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold
A nice but precise letter to LH might get you something.

I assume you were on LH 4739, due to arrive @ FRA at 21:35. With such tight connections, it is usually not a bad idea to approach (any) LH counter immediately upon deplaning. I'd venture to say that you have a decent argument against LH.

Personally, I am amazed at the tight connection allowed for this particular route.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Exactly, that was LH4739 and then LH3296 to KTW.

There was no LH counter on the way from my gate, no information, no staff. Just some guards and other unfriendly airport staff. And had to pass the security 2 times, which was strange.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 4:01 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I can't answer your question about your entitlement but there seems to be something odd about the non-Schengen A pier in the evening. After the last TATL flight (to BOS) leaves assorted non-Schengen flights (e.g. to/from UK) seem to use the gates instead of the usual remote stands but the whole area becomes very quiet.

I was in the Tower Lounge recently which I was informed would close at 18:30 (despite M&M/LH's lounge guide) but just before 18:00 someone came over and told me to leave the lounge and go through passport control (by gate A65) if I wanted to go to the SEN lounge by A26 because passport control was going to close and I would be locked in!

I think there are 3 ways to leave the non-Schengen A pier, passport control by A65, another passport control at the other end of the pier and by the Sky Line train which should have taken you fairly close to B10, though you still had to go through passport control.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
and by the Sky Line train which should have taken you fairly close to B10, though you still had to go through passport control.
I took the Sky Line train. Then where you have an arrow for gates B10-B19, doors were closed.

So I think I took the guard' advise and went to B20-B28 where from I passed to my gate B10.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 4:20 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold
I can't answer your question about your entitlement but there seems to be something odd about the non-Schengen A pier in the evening.
+1

Am on the MAN/BHX-(MUC/LHR/FRA)-TXL p.m. run from time to time. Usually end up taking the last connection through FRA - a significant # of pax leave the aircraft running. Have to say that those connections in FRA result in a prayer that Ryanair/Easyjet would start offering more frequent flights to LPL and EMA ex SXF.

Last edited by awestphal; Jul 24, 2009 at 4:22 am Reason: spelling
Old Jul 24, 2009, 4:42 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by sinus
I took the Sky Line train. Then where you have an arrow for gates B10-B19, doors were closed.

So I think I took the guard' advise and went to B20-B28 where from I passed to my gate B10.
Well, that just seems unacceptable. Whatever LH staff told you FRA Terminal 1 is effectively a Lufthansa terminal and they have to ensure that pax can get through passport control/security to their connecting flights. Also whatever they say about MCT, LH.com sells the LH4739/LH3296 connection so it must be acceptable to them.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 4:58 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Exactly, that was LH4739 and then LH3296 to KTW...
A 45 minutes connection in FRA ?

Was this on a single ticket? If it was sold to you as such, then LH owes you a hotel stay. They will - in all my experience - not pay it voluntarily but filing for small claims court is easy in the UK. I would not waste much time with LH, write them the 2 registered, terse letters, then hand it off...

If it was 2 single tix, then all is in order and they were right to deny you compensation.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by weero
Was this on a single ticket? If it was sold to you as such...
... LH.com sells the LH4739/LH3296 connection so it must be acceptable to them.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by weero
Was this on a single ticket?
Of course it was one ticket. I wouldn't risk so tight connection on separate tickets.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 5:08 am

Programs: LH, KLM, BA
Of course it was one ticket. I wouldn't risk so tight connection on separate tickets.
Did LH issue the ticket or your Travel Agent?
Old Jul 24, 2009, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nswat
Did LH issue the ticket or your Travel Agent?
Booked on British LH website. Ticket issued by:
DEUTSCHE LUFTHANSA AG
WWW.LUFTHANSA.COM
LONDON
UNITED KINGDOM
Old Jul 24, 2009, 5:17 am

Programs: BD Gold, BEAC Blue, MA Gold, FB Gold, Flybe useless exec card HH Gold SPG Plat
LOL i feel... I was in a similar situation last April on a VCE-FRA-EDI flight.
Website let me book a 45min connection(I thought it was 1hr45m). Arrived late into FRA, thought to myself it's ok. I'll make it Schengen to Schengen so no passport control. Anyhow, plane I was on parked up at an apron had to wait for a bus, had to go through both pp control and security, made the gate for the EDI flight as it was closing.

Last edited by tomvonc; Jul 24, 2009 at 5:18 am Reason: My pisspoor typing and spelling skills
Old Jul 24, 2009, 5:45 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by tomvonc
I was in a similar situation last April on a VCE-FRA-EDI flight. I'll make it Schengen to Schengen so no passport control.
EDI is not in Schengen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.