Small BUT significant help at DUS from LH employee

Old Jun 20, 09, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: price is a king
Small BUT significant help at DUS from LH employee

Hey there

not flying these days too often - from one hand budget freezes from the other my doctor strongly suggests C on TATL to avoid further spine problems,

I've been flying with LH DUS->WAW on 17th of June and after few stressy moments like a tough phone call with a customer plus allegation from Hertz about car destruction (which appeared to be known & undocumented problem in the end) I have rushed through security. As usual - did my prework - laptop out, belt off, mobile phones out etc etc. At the other side of the security one of the agents comes to me and says that my liquids are not secured in a plastic bag and I have to go back to BUY one and go through security again. After whole day of work that was the last thing I was dreaming of (with a vision of cold Becks in the SEN longue) but what can I do, right? Don't argue with airport security, especially with German one, so I did go back and ...

... and just realized that I have ZERO coins to buy those d*** plastic bags. I wanted to use this 2 days biz trip to check if I can survive without cash. If we forget about one small gas station problem, that seemed to be doable. Till that moment - there's not much space to insert your card into plastic-bag-vending-machine, right? What can I do - go to ATM and get 1EUR? Only way was to check my second hand luggage in and just spend 20 mins more time in WAW.

So, went quickly back to biz checkin, and asked to put my bag in as I don't have any coins. LH agent looked at me and said (in German) "c'mon, you don't want to waste time at the airport in such a lovely afternoon!". He stood up, he put his hand in his OWN pocket and he gave me 1EUR coin to buy plastic bag. I was stunned. Speechless. I felt kind like a Polish Gastarbeiter with no money for food for a moment. Anyway - I said BIG THANK YOU, rushed back to that security, purchased plastic bag, went through security again, gave remaining bags to the security "for all those folks w/o plastic thing" and landed in SEN lounge with Becks in my hand after 3 mins. Tasted better than champagne.

I was kind of in rush and forgotten to see name of LH lad, but just want to say - thanks again.

Amazing, huh?
mf
Old Jun 20, 09, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Originally Posted by MichalFKowalik View Post
. I wanted to use this 2 days biz trip to check if I can survive without cash.
Is this for real?? I mean you didn't think to carry cash for emergency use, as back-up for your socio-economic experiment??

You had a solution to your problem (cash-card) but preferred to accept the charity of strangers?? You didn't note the Samaritan's name to pay him back next time you go through the airport??
Old Jun 21, 09, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
Is this for real?? I mean you didn't think to carry cash for emergency use, as back-up for your socio-economic experiment??
I did want to avoid a situation from Jarmush films: "I can smoke now as I just dropped smoking". I mean - like no other choice to pay with plastic. In REAL emergency I did have my debit and ATMs are fairly often seen animals in DE.

Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
You had a solution to your problem (cash-card) but preferred to accept the charity of strangers?? You didn't note the Samaritan's name to pay him back next time you go through the airport??
That's correct, I am a bad guy here.
Old Jun 21, 09, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, CX DIA, EK Gold
The joke is that at most German airport they try to sell you the plastic bags for €1 !
In ZRH for example you can pick up any number of them for free just before security.
I usually carry a couple of unused ones in my carry on and have already donated a few to pax in Germany who were told to buy a new one. (Trying to undermine their little revenue enhancement project)
Old Jun 21, 09, 3:21 am

Programs: LH M&M SEN *G, Priority Club Plat. RA
Originally Posted by Rambuster View Post
The joke is that at most German airport they try to sell you the plastic bags for 1 !
In ZRH for example you can pick up any number of them for free just before security.
I usually carry a couple of unused ones in my carry on and have already donated a few to pax in Germany who were told to buy a new one. (Trying to undermine their little revenue enhancement project)
Hello

When the new regulation got introduced EU wide, they also used to give the plastic bags out for free at FRA. After some time, they introduced the machines. Yes, they are very expensive, but then again, the regulation is in place for quite some time now, it has been written and pointed out everywhere (not only in airports) even on TV. Well, always good to have those bags handy. Even the US introduced the liquid rule, and I predict, that we will need to live with it for quite some time.

Cheers
aquaguy
Old Jun 21, 09, 5:09 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Platinum
I think this is worth to mention to LH in their customer feedback. We are all very fast when it comes to complaining but normally don't use the customer feedback form to say thank you.

Anyway about the plastic bags. The cheapest way is to buy a pack of 1L Ziplock freezer bags in a supermarket. I know at the airport you don't have the luxury of doing that but I always wonder why people pay for these "special travel plastic bags" when the they are nothng else than normal household freezer bags.
Old Jun 21, 09, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by caspritz78 View Post
I think this is worth to mention to LH in their customer feedback. We are all very fast when it comes to complaining but normally don't use the customer feedback form to say thank you.
TRUE - filling my customer report right away
mf
Old Jun 21, 09, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by caspritz78 View Post
The cheapest way is to buy a pack of 1L Ziplock freezer bags in a supermarket...
no, the cheapest way was pointed out by Rambuster a few posts earlier . there is plenty of airports around that offer free zipper bags.
after forcing me into this completely silly and useless excersise i really dont feel like donating stupid money (what does a plastic bag cost to make, 5-10 cents?) for it...
Old Jun 21, 09, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by sentom View Post
.. (what does a plastic bag cost to make, 5-10 cents?) for it...
To make? Nowhere near. So it's a good margin profit for the airports .

The evil conspirators who imposed the war on moisture upon the world must feel like the founders of a Scientology-grade cult: oppress people with a tiny set of utterly ridiculous claims. And that even though initially most are perfectly aware of it being distilled rubbish. Brilliant.
Old Jun 21, 09, 1:25 pm
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Originally Posted by Rambuster View Post
The joke is that at most German airport they try to sell you the plastic bags for 1 !
You have also to buy them at HAM.
Old Jun 21, 09, 2:11 pm

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by szg View Post
You have also to buy them at HAM.
I think at ZRH airport in the C pax security line, they still have them for free there.
Old Jun 21, 09, 2:35 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
At some UK airports they tried to make it mandatory to use one of their own bags which you had to buy @ 1 for two.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...i-unlucky.html
Old Jun 21, 09, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver, LH SEN
Thumbs down

I also experienced DUS as particularly difficult about the plastic bags. My trusty old ziploc bag that had gotten me through (pretty much) all of Japan, FRA, TXL, MUC, much of Europe and JFK with no problems was deemed sub-par by DUS security in March...
Old Jun 21, 09, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KIXJNB View Post
I also experienced DUS as particularly difficult about the plastic bags. My trusty old ziploc bag that had gotten me through (pretty much) all of Japan, FRA, TXL, MUC, much of Europe and JFK with no problems was deemed sub-par by DUS security in March...
I had this same problem at DUS. I asked them to confiscate and throw away all my toiletries. I pointed out I had used the bag three times that week at German airports. They told me to go ahead (with my toiletries), and "next time" buy the proper bag. No comment. This has only been an issue at DUS.
Old Jun 21, 09, 9:34 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
So what kind of a bag is acceptable at DUS? I'll be connecting to a TATL flight there in a few weeks. The bag I currently use is courtesy of the Metropolitan Washington Airport Authority from IAD and I've had no problem at a number of German, US and UK airports. Is there anything special about DUS?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: