Do op-ups happen on LH/LX?

Old May 27, 09, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA1k, AmEx Plat, Global Entry & Pre✓
Do op-ups happen on LH/LX?

How rare are they? Is it based on status, or the whim of the GA?
Old May 27, 09, 8:02 am
hch

Yes, and quite often for me
Old May 27, 09, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hch View Post
Yes, and quite often for me
Is it based on your status, or something else? I'm not really familiar with op-ups...
Old May 27, 09, 8:14 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Originally Posted by GITU View Post
How rare are they? Is it based on status, or the whim of the GA?
Usually it is based on status and within status the fare may influence. However, this is not written in stone. It finally depends...

If based on status there are about 10 priorities:
  1. Family & Friends
  2. Friends of Family & Friends
  3. People who know Friends of Family & Friends
  4. ...
  5. HON
  6. ...
  7. SEN
  8. ...
  9. *G
  10. FTL

It depends on the airport. BOS for example is known to take care mainly of the first 3 entries on the list.
Old May 27, 09, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks! I really appreciate it.
Old May 27, 09, 9:18 am

Programs: LH FTL, EB, AB, PS, VV, NH
They happen rather often to me, too. This year: NRT-FRA, FRA-KIX (all booked in V, one segment upgraded to I and FRA-KIX upgraded to C, which meant that an extra ca. 6000 miles ended up in my account on top of 600 EUR due to VDB).

Last year, upgrades happened to me 6 times on Japan-Germany-Japan routes. None of the intercontinental segments was booked in a class higher than Q. I do confess that I know a guy who works for LH; however, I do not think that he has a big power of forcing agents issue me a BP with a so much sought after "C" on it ( he is just a reservation agent, albeit VERY helpful one).

And as far as the priority of upgrades... The above-mentioned friend once said that FTL, SEN, and HON matter more to LH than any other *G from non Miles and More Program. Clearly, different places have different experiences; however, four times when I was traveling (from NRT and KIX and twice from FRA) with friends who were *G with either NH (Diamond), UA, OZ and Pandion (spelling???) with SK, none of them was upgraded at the gate whereas I, being a FTL, managed to get an op-up (my booking class was lower than theirs, too).

Last edited by olm022; May 27, 09 at 9:25 am
Old May 27, 09, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, CX DIA, EK Gold
Currently LH is overselling Y aggressively just to get the passengers. The surplus is then op-uped to C with a domino effect to F !
Mostly HONs and SENs, once all the friends & family (and their dogs) have been taken care of !
Old May 27, 09, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by olm022 View Post
...so much sought after "C" on it...
the only letter one needs on a BP is F
Old May 27, 09, 9:23 am

Programs: LH G, CO G, BA B, HH G, PC P, SW G, Sixt P, Hertz G and YES A|Club G :)
They happen rather often to me, too. This year: NRT-FRA, FRA-KIX (all booked in V, one segment upgraded to I and FRA-KIX upgraded to C, which meant that an extra ca. 6000 miles ended up in my account on top of 600 EUR due to VDB).

Last year, upgrades happened to me 6 times on Japan-Germany-Japan routes. None of the intercontinental segments was booked in a class higher than Q. I do confess that I know a guy who works for LH; however, I do not think that he has a big power of forcing agents issue me a BP with a so much sought after "C" on it ( he is just a reservation agent, albeit VERY helpful one).
All I can say

LUCKY YOU...

In my 10 years of TATLs, initially between NA-EU, and now other way around, I got never updgrade! NEVER! Oh well...I keep saying to myself: "My time will come!"

On second thought, certainly that must be a reason why I cannot reach SENdome. Need some lucky brakes
Old May 27, 09, 9:28 am

Programs: BAEC, M&L, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by SleepOverGreenland View Post
Usually it is based on status and within status the fare may influence. However, this is not written in stone. It finally depends...

If based on status there are about 10 priorities:
  1. Family & Friends
  2. Friends of Family & Friends
  3. People who know Friends of Family & Friends
  4. ...
  5. HON
  6. ...
  7. SEN
  8. ...
  9. *G
  10. FTL

It depends on the airport. BOS for example is known to take care mainly of the first 3 entries on the list.
Well, I'm based in BOS and don't have that feeling. I was upgraded quite a few times and had my fall outs with old station manager in history.
Old May 27, 09, 9:33 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I had several Y->C op-ups as FTL on LH and LX, flying between Europe and NRT and within Europe but never on TATL.

Since I became SEN a year and a half ago I haven't had any op-ups, but then I've been flying in C whenever I can. Op-ups are an effective marketing ploy.
Old May 27, 09, 9:40 am

Programs: LH FTL, EB, AB, PS, VV, NH
Originally Posted by sentom View Post
the only letter one needs on a BP is F
Oh yes; however, being a student (even though, admittedly a fabulous one who uses his charm, blond hair and piercing green eyes on GAs in NRT or ITM), the most I can afford is V and a hope that there is a group of 120 statutless Japanese tourists going to Germany to take a picture of every single stone in Heidelberg.

Last time, when I was supposed to fly TXL-FRA-KIX (originally in V), the FRA-KIX flight was overbooked. When I got to FRA, the agent was looking for volunteers to fly with OZ some 4 hrs later. I went for it - after all, having paid EUR 900 for the original trip and having received a FRA-NRT upgrade before, I could not resist cashing 600 EUR and fly nice OZ. And when I offered to put me on a next LH flight (me saying, "Oh, this is such a crisis, maybe I could help LH save some money by not putting me on OZ but instead letting LH fly me tomorrow on its own metal", the agent said, "Gladly." The next day FRA-KIX is again severely overbooked. My 26A at the luggage-drop becomes 10C. Upon boarding, beep - the signal... A new BP pops up... with a big letter F. Yuppie :-):-)

In a nutshell, fare paid: EUR 900. NRT-FRA in I; FRA-KIX in F, 600 EUR in cash back. I should have played the lottery that day. And the miles were posted as per F, too :-)
Old May 27, 09, 9:42 am
Original Poster

How do you go about getting an op-up? What's the procedure?
Old May 27, 09, 9:51 am

Programs: LH G, CO G, BA B, HH G, PC P, SW G, Sixt P, Hertz G and YES A|Club G :)
blond hair and piercing green eyes
I see, well dying my hair should not be an issue....
Old May 27, 09, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by GITU View Post
How do you go about getting an op-up? What's the procedure?

a) Be neatly dressed, no American business casual with sloppy Bermudas
and T-shirts!
b) Have small decent regulation sized hand luggage, do not look like a walking garbage truck with lots of plastic bags
b) Be friendly to check-in staff

In reality op-up's from Y into C seem to happen more frequently and C into F less frequently now.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: