Passenger in FA jump seat

Old May 4, 2009, 6:51 pm

Programs: AC SE SPG Gold
I flew from CPT to LHR a few years ago and I was in one of the middle seats in Y on a 747. A South African rugby player( 300 + lbs) was assigned the aisle seat beside me and there was no way he was going to fit in the seat.

He sat in a jump seat for the entire flight which worked out well for me!
Old May 5, 2009, 1:28 am

Programs: LH, AF, AB, SQ
Thanks for the clarification, Volta.
Old May 5, 2009, 3:05 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Longlegs
So who would or could have initiated an emergency evacuation through that door then, your friend?
AFAIK FAs are free to give their seats to PAX during the flight but not during takeoffs or landings as this is their primary mission, in case of an emergency to decide if the exit is usable and initiate/supervise/assist the evac.
Would have to check back but as he was allowed on board only after some negotiations that were necessary due to a complete overbooking of the plane I do not assume that he was on a regular seat during take off and landing, giving it away (to the FA or someone else?) during cruise (especially having status etc. and obviously not being very happy about sitting there)... but I agree, the FA had to be somewhere during take off and landing as well (maybe there are extra jump seats on 767?).
Old Jun 25, 2009, 12:54 pm

Placed in Jumpseart on LH due to missed connection

I flew last month to ATH and was rerouted through Frankfurt on LH after a weather delay caused a connection miss. What the Continental rep in New York didn't tell us was that they confirmed just one seat, for my six year old son, sent the rest of the 4 in my family on Standby. Three seats did open up and finally at the last minute they finally let me fly in the jumpseat, using the rear galley seat for takeoff and landing and the exit row seat for cruise when they served the meal. Oddly, although I was a full fare paying passenger I didn't get my meal to balance in my lap until after they ensured all the passengers occupying seats had theirs first, but I was glad to be able to fly with the family.

Nice of LH, not so nice of CO.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 5:03 pm

Programs: LH and BA
Originally Posted by tacommuter
Is there ever an occasion when it is considered an acceptable or normal practice to have a passenger seated in a flight attendant jump seat for the majority of a flight?

On a recent vacation trip with the whole (large) family, I had for the MUC-BCN connecting flight on LH intentionally chosen the exit row seat, not only for its comfort, but also so as to have easy access to the aisle to be able to check frequently on the others in our group.

However, shortly after take-off a very large older Germanic man plopped down in the flight attendant's jump seat in our row which when down completely blocks access to the aisle (and in fact would completely block access to the exit for everyone else in case of emergency). I was just about to point out to the passenger (who from his demeanor certainly appeared to be a regular tourist passenger on holiday, not an off-duty pilot, FA, etc.) that he could not use that seat when my wife informed me (I had not been paying attention) that it was actually a flight attendant who had moved the man there. He remained in that spot until we began the descent into Barcelona, and the flight attendants even served him his sandwich and drink there - even though there was no table for him (he held his lunch in his lap and kept looking longingly back at our tray tables, as if waiting for us to volunteer to share).

I should note that that flight was far from full, so I can't imagine what would have led the flight attendants to do this. But beyond that, I kept thinking that surely this must be a violation of safety regulations, no? Are LH FA's really allowed to use their jump seats as simply a more comfy place for an occasional oversized passenger - even if that puts a person of very questionable fitness not only seated in an exit row but in an odd forward, obstructive position in an exit row?

I have done it before ... once - changed seats with a Non-Revenue passanger - and I was on a paid F ticket .... I felt sorry for the old woman

I do it regularly when I chat with the FA's

nothing wrong with it I can see.

and oh- while in flight - no one needs to use the emergency exit - AFAIK
Old Jun 25, 2009, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by roundtheworld
I have done it before ... once - changed seats with a Non-Revenue passanger - and I was on a paid F ticket .... I felt sorry for the old woman
I know that you have done it before on planes ... but what exactly in this case? You planted an old women in the jump seat in F because you felt sorry for her? One would naively assume that her native F bed would feel more comfy than the Formula 1 strap-in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.