Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Double upgrade, I guess I just got lucky!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2009, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Double upgrade, I guess I just got lucky!

Last week I was booked on LH 441 IAH-FRA in the back of the bus, V fare. I asked the GA about perhaps getting an exit row seat if available and instead I was given given 82H on the 744. I was told that the flight was full and this was the best they can do. This lowly FTL did not complain at all!!!
Old Apr 22, 2009, 10:18 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by docr775
Last week I was booked on LH 441 IAH-FRA in the back of the bus, V fare. I asked the GA about perhaps getting an exit row seat if available and instead I was given given 82H on the 744. I was told that the flight was full and this was the best they can do. This lowly FTL did not complain at all!!!
Wow can they clone that GA please . Well nice one but don't get used to it.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Another piece of evidence that LH is overselling Y very aggressively and C and F are the overflow basins.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 5:05 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Especially right now on the North-American routes where business travel had a sharp decrease. LH now tries to get at least Economy full with all kind of promotions.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow docr775 you got very lucky indeed! I wonder why they didn't bump someone from C up to F and you up to C- however I wouldn't complain!
This could be even more fuel for the conspiracy theory that LH doesn't upgrade HONs though
Old Apr 23, 2009, 6:52 am

Programs: EY-Gold LH-SEN AA-Gold HHonors-Gold National-ES
I wonder why they didn't bump someone from C up to F and you up to C
There may have been quite a few C op-ups as well that day.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 7:53 am

Programs: TK *G, BA Gold
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Wow docr775 you got very lucky indeed! I wonder why they didn't bump someone from C up to F and you up to C- however I wouldn't complain!

I got an op up from YYZ - FRA last week and this is the only time in my LH history that they've done it at check in (rather than at the gate closer to boarding time). So perhaps upgrade planning in North America is different but I do wonder if there weren't enough paying C class pax to upgrade them to F before doing someone from Y->F.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 2:34 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Lucky you! ^
Old Apr 23, 2009, 10:21 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
They are advertising for weeks now a 1049 SGD all in fare from SIN to multiple european destinations. That about 500 Euro and a bit more than half the cost of SQ Y. Planes fill up quite a bit in Y but the FRA one is usually much fuller than the MUC one. Therefore I fly via FRA where I can use arrival lounge and stand a better chance of an op up. Worked 3 times from Y to C (always FRA-SIN and never SIN-FRA) on the last 5 RTs. Not bad. I did have a fully flexible M fare each time though (MFFSG) but it does not really seem to matter.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Rambuster
Another piece of evidence that LH is overselling Y very aggressively and C and F are the overflow basins.
I would agree.

If then I had any clue how anyone could sell - let alone oversell - this pile-o-manure product.

Time ti adjust the pricing for Z and D and A so that normal people also get a bearable seat.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by weero
I would agree.

If then I had any clue how anyone could sell - let alone oversell - this pile-o-manure product.

Time ti adjust the pricing for Z and D and A so that normal people also get a bearable seat.
I agree regarding the A fares.
Z fares are already an excellent deal.
Y is bad- but no worse than most other carriers to North America- and certainly better than US Air or United Economy -.
I was able to get a D fare to New York City for 1695 EUR all in from LX- which is about 1000 EUR cheaper than normal.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I agree regarding the A fares.
I don't understand why LH isn't introducing plenty of affordable A fares that are designed in a way that makes them hard to use for the flexible business flyer bit perfect for the affluent tourist. This would generate more revenue than upgrading (or double-upgrading) cheap Z fare or Economy flyers.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 4:07 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by flysurfer
I don't understand why LH isn't introducing plenty of affordable A fares
Revenue integrity..... hard to bring prices back up when the world's economic engine spins again. Same reason why a lot of hotels aren't dropping rates, but rather trying to add amenties and upgrades instead. Also probably why a lot of the LH promo's for 1st class aren't advertised by LH very publically, but rather via certain private sales channels.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 8:41 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
I don't understand why LH isn't introducing plenty of affordable A fares that are designed in a way that makes them hard to use for the flexible business flyer bit perfect for the affluent tourist. This would generate more revenue than upgrading (or double-upgrading) cheap Z fare or Economy flyers.

Oh how I would love to see this - best post in months - LH please read!

Why upgrade when you can extra some extra cash from people who want to be assured to be in a comfy seat in First.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by flysurfer
I do, do, do agree ... they could advertise the 'sofa in the skies' to segregate their product from suites and other too expensive stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.