Wiki Posts
Search

LH F to SIN v TG F to BKK?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2009, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: bmi diamond club lifetime gold, ba silver
LH F to SIN v TG F to BKK?

We are planning a trip to Australia in October stopping somewhere in the Far East for a couple of days on the way out.

I have found 2 F seat redemptions on TG 923 from Frankfurt to BKK. Is the 747 operating this flight the 7443 "type" aircraft with the new F class seats? Also what are lounge facilities like in FRA for TG passengers as will have a few hours to wait. Is new FCL accessible for this flight.

An alternative is LH 778 F class to Singapore. How does this service compare to TG F class on BKK service? I think we can use FCT or the new FCL if we took this flight.

Flying to BKK would mean an extra BKK-SIN before flying down to MEL as no seats on BKK-MEL the days we want to travel but as we will be flying back from Hong Kong to Frankfurt in F class 3 weeks later thought may be worthwhile to try TG. Any comments from those that have travelled these routes recently would be appreciated.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
I would never use TG on a "full fare redemption". At least in 2008 they sold F/C tickets so bloddy cheap ex Germany that using miles was a waste.

With TG, at FRA you will not have access to the FCL but to the SEN Lounges. TG's ground service is not bad, they take you through the airport. Lounge in BKK is not bad either, however, you can use the same lounge on an LH ticket (with the exception of the spa)

Foodwise LH wins very clearly. Servicewise LH is pretty much consistent and great if you appreciate European style service. TG can be a hit and miss.

I used them three times on the BKK route last year in F/C. I enjoyed it, however, I would not enjoy spending real miles for it.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
TG uses the 7443 on the FRA route. Usually this route is quite safe from equipment changes, other than MUC, where occasionally a 7442 is subsituted.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 5:22 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
And besides, which city do you actually want to visit?

Last edited by DownUnderFlyer; Mar 4, 2009 at 5:35 pm Reason: Can't type....
Old Mar 4, 2009, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
And besides, which city to you actually want to visit?
Sydney I hope ...

But choosing between SIN and BKK ... would be easy for me .
Old Mar 4, 2009, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
If I were flying solo TG would be a no-brainer, because of the LH 2x2 seating in F on the 747. But flying in pairs it's worth considering LH.

Ground service in FRA: LH (FCT/FCL vs SEN lounge)
Food: LH (IMHO... and I love Thai food, but TG's presentation is highly inconsistent)
Service: LH is consistently ok, TG has flashes of both brilliance and mediocrity
Seat: TG
AVOD: TG
Ground service in BKK vs SIN: TG (met at gate, outstanding F lounge, spa)
Old Mar 4, 2009, 7:27 pm

Agree with all said.
Pro LH:
LH is more consistent in service and food. LH has the FCT/FCL in FRA.
Pro TG:
BKK is a great destination. Thai food on the plane. When traveling alone the seat is significantly better.

Atthe end i would select by schedule and places you want to see.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 8:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold - A3 Gold - FB Gold - IHG Plat - SPG Gold -Hyatt Platinum
Last time I flew LH from BKK to FRA
Next time in september I booked a Lufthansa ticket operated by Thai so I think this way I can try Thai F onboard (seat particulary) and have the same LH benefits on the ground. I hope Im not wrong

Oh... LH F on the 744 was a very pleasant experience so was the limo service from the lounge to my next flight!
Old Mar 4, 2009, 10:26 pm

Programs: BA*G, TG*G, HH*D
i am facing the exact same choice, but westbound.
therefore, i am interested in the differences in the arrival experience at FRA on TG F versus LH F (assuming an onward LH C flight).
would LH F arrival allow me in the FCL?
would TG F arrival only allow me in the SEN lounge (i am S*G)?
thanks.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by st*rgold
i am facing the exact same choice, but westbound.
therefore, i am interested in the differences in the arrival experience at FRA on TG F versus LH F (assuming an onward LH C flight).
would LH F arrival allow me in the FCL?
would TG F arrival only allow me in the SEN lounge (i am S*G)?
thanks.
The FCLs are also arrival lounges for LH F pax.
SEN lounges are not arrival lounges for non-LH pax ! Therefore a TG F BP will not get you access to the SEN lounge unless you have a SEN card.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 11:54 pm

thanks, rambuster.
so, if not a SEN lounge, will a TG F boarding card allow me in any lounge upon arrival?
also, will my onward LH C boarding pass (plus S*G) allow me in a SEN lounge?
thanks.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks, rambuster.
so, if not a SEN lounge, will a TG F boarding card allow me in any lounge upon arrival?
also, will my onward LH C boarding pass (plus S*G) allow me in a SEN lounge?
thanks.
The onward LH C ticket will get you access to the Business lounge, whereas your *G status will get you access to the LH SEN lounge.
A TG F BP will not get you any lounge access on arrival in FRA.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 5:38 am

thanks again.
just a short follow-on question. if i was travelling LH Y, would my S*G get me into the SEN lounge?
Old Mar 5, 2009, 6:23 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
if i was travelling LH Y, would my S*G get me into the SEN lounge?
Any *A boarding pass for an onward flight with your *G status (make sure to bring your card) should get you into a SEN lounge.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
I'd definitely go for TG.

The FCT used to be the big convenience factor in FRA, but since this option is gone for transfer pax, connecting in FRA has become just as annoying for LH F pax as for anybody else.

Hence it comes down to the flight product. Here, the TG F cabin is much more spacious and the seats are more comfortable than LH's antique F product on the 744. Especially when flying solo, LH F is really a no-go on the 744, as you might well end up sleeping with a complete stranger.

Not to forget that TG is much better on the ground in BKK, especially if you also use them on your way back to Europe with a stopover at BKK. Currently, TG also offers a free limo ride service to the city or Pattaya for paid F pax. Plus, their spa at BKK is free of charge, whereas the LH spa at the B FCL charges absurd amounts of $$$ for almost nothing, hence is pretty much useless for the minority of LH pax who have kept themselves a sane mind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.