Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More

"Welcome" arrivals lounge in FRA

"Welcome" arrivals lounge in FRA

    Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 9, 22, 6:39 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: oliver2002
Wiki Link
The access rules:

Print Wikipost

Old Dec 15, 19, 4:41 am
  #511  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: YYZ
Programs: Aeroplan, TD.
Posts: 454
Arriving on flight LH 471 from YYZ with a 3.5 hr stop over on route to NBO. I was wondering if I can use the welcome lounge or Just head to Air Canada Maple leaf Lounge? All flights are on LH metal in business class. Or better yet which one is better??
Ramz is offline  
Old Dec 15, 19, 6:07 am
  #512  
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 146
Originally Posted by Ramz View Post
Arriving on flight LH 471 from YYZ with a 3.5 hr stop over on route to NBO. I was wondering if I can use the welcome lounge or Just head to Air Canada Maple leaf Lounge? All flights are on LH metal in business class. Or better yet which one is better??
Yes, you may use the welcome lounge.

The welcome lounge is better for taking a shower (no or at least less wait time).

I think there's a chance you would be able to go from your arrival gate to the MLL and your departure gate without having to clear transfer security. (From what I understand, it depends on your luck with the arrival gate--but it's probably better if one of the experts here confirms.) If you use the welcome lounge, you'd def would have to clear security.
R.O. is offline  
Old Dec 15, 19, 7:52 am
  #513  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Colorado, US
Programs: LH Senator BA Silver
Posts: 150
Arriving in FR in F from JNB at 5:30am and departing to AMS but on KL 4 hours later. Hand luggage only. I realize I may use the LH Welcome Lounge, but am I also able to use a LH FCL instead?
wfiring12 is offline  
Old Dec 15, 19, 8:04 am
  #514  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 9,149
Originally Posted by wfiring12 View Post
Arriving in FR in F from JNB at 5:30am and departing to AMS but on KL 4 hours later. Hand luggage only. I realize I may use the LH Welcome Lounge, but am I also able to use a LH FCL instead?
Yes
YuropFlyer is offline  
Old Dec 15, 19, 10:34 am
  #515  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Posts: 34,257
I had a nice visit this morning in the Welcome Lounge. About 10h-12h and it was rather empty.
stimpy is offline  
Old Dec 15, 19, 10:56 am
  #516  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: HAG
Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Posts: 4,469
Originally Posted by wfiring12 View Post
Arriving in FR in F from JNB at 5:30am and departing to AMS but on KL 4 hours later. Hand luggage only. I realize I may use the LH Welcome Lounge, but am I also able to use a LH FCL instead?
Bear in mind you'll have to leave secure area and travel to D gates for KL departure. The trek can take some time. Still you have at least 2 hours in FCL no problem
wfiring12 likes this.
Fabo.sk is offline  
Old Dec 15, 19, 1:35 pm
  #517  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Colorado, US
Programs: LH Senator BA Silver
Posts: 150
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk View Post
Bear in mind you'll have to leave secure area and travel to D gates for KL departure. The trek can take some time. Still you have at least 2 hours in FCL no problem
Yes, just looking for a nice breakfast and shower. We're actually being naughty and ditching the final leg of our LH journey ticketed to Brussels. We've since decided we want to go straight to AMS and find this preferable to keeping our journey to BRU and taking the Thalys - especially since we're retrieving two very large pieces of luggage that will have been stored at FRA.
wfiring12 is offline  
Old Dec 15, 19, 3:51 pm
  #518  
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 150km from MAN
Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Posts: 28,657
Originally Posted by Ramz View Post
Arriving on flight LH 471 from YYZ with a 3.5 hr stop over on route to NBO. I was wondering if I can use the welcome lounge or Just head to Air Canada Maple leaf Lounge? All flights are on LH metal in business class. Or better yet which one is better??
Originally Posted by R.O. View Post
Yes, you may use the welcome lounge.

The welcome lounge is better for taking a shower (no or at least less wait time).

I think there's a chance you would be able to go from your arrival gate to the MLL and your departure gate without having to clear transfer security. (From what I understand, it depends on your luck with the arrival gate--but it's probably better if one of the experts here confirms.) If you use the welcome lounge, you'd def would have to clear security.
I havent been to either lounge for some time but if you think the Welcome Lounge is more desirable and decide to go there you will have to go through passport control on arrival and clear security and passport control after a visit regardless of your arrival gate.

The departure gate of your NBO flight is likely to be in B for which the MLL is more convenient.

If you decide to go to the MLL instead:
  • If you arrive at a Z gate or AEUW look for a transfer bus from near gate Z13. This should take you to B departures without the need to go through passport control or security.
  • If you arrive at a B gate see if you can enter B departures without having to go up to B arrivals. You will almost certainly need to see a FRAport or LH personnel and have your boarding pass for the NBO flight ready. Again no need for passport control or security.
  • I have seen at least one LH471 in recent days arriving at B63 which I believe is a clean bus arrival gate. You should be able to enter B departures without having to clear passport control or security.
Sorry all this sounds complicated but not many things in FRA are straightforward. You may want to decide which lounge to visit based on whether you need to clear transfer security to go to the MLL. If you do you might as well go to the Welcome Lounge.
NewbieRunner is offline  
Old Dec 15, 19, 6:54 pm
  #519  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: YYZ
Programs: Aeroplan, TD.
Posts: 454
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
I havent been to either lounge for some time but if you think the Welcome Lounge is more desirable and decide to go there you will have to go through passport control on arrival and clear security and passport control after a visit regardless of your arrival gate.

The departure gate of your NBO flight is likely to be in B for which the MLL is more convenient.

If you decide to go to the MLL instead:
  • If you arrive at a Z gate or AEUW look for a transfer bus from near gate Z13. This should take you to B departures without the need to go through passport control or security.
  • If you arrive at a B gate see if you can enter B departures without having to go up to B arrivals. You will almost certainly need to see a FRAport or LH personnel and have your boarding pass for the NBO flight ready. Again no need for passport control or security.
  • I have seen at least one LH471 in recent days arriving at B63 which I believe is a clean bus arrival gate. You should be able to enter B departures without having to clear passport control or security.
Sorry all this sounds complicated but not many things in FRA are straightforward. You may want to decide which lounge to visit based on whether you need to clear transfer security to go to the MLL. If you do you might as well go to the Welcome Lounge.
Thanks.
Ramz is offline  
Old Dec 16, 19, 8:26 am
  #520  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BSL/FRA or PHL
Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Posts: 2,335
Originally Posted by Vyvd View Post
How long does it take to walk to the Fernbahnhof from the lounge? I'm arriving at 6.20 am and have a train to catch at 8 am. Trying to see if I have time to visit the lounge.
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
Id estimate 10 minutes and Lufthansa app seems to agree.
Originally Posted by R.O. View Post
It's very close. I'd say 6-7 min if you know the way and walk swiftly.

As you leave the lounge, turn right and exit the terminal building through the nearby door. Walk across the two streets and turn left. Walk along the far end of that second street past that Italian fast food place until you see evalators on the right-hand side behind glass doors. Take the elevator up, following the signs to the Fernbahnhof.

Usually, there are multiple other ways to get to the Fernbahnhof, but one is currently closed to due to refurbishment (you can't access the up escalator from outside arrivals).
I concur with these assessments as well.

At that time of the morning, baggage claim is often the critical path. There should be plenty of time for a shower and/or breakfast in the lounge, and a bit more if you only have hand luggage. If the weather is bad, or you otherwise don't want to go outside to avoid the closed escalator, another alternative is to go up to the departures level, head towards the Business/First Class/SEN/*G check-in area, and then follow the signs to the Fernbahnhof. The signs should point to an up escalator that leads to a overhead crosswalk that leads to both the parking garage (turn left) and the concourse to the Fernbahnhof (turn right). If you are returning to FRA via train and departing on LH, this is also a good path to take to check-in (in the reverse direction from the platforms at FernBhf).
Vyvd likes this.
N1003U is offline  
Old Feb 14, 20, 6:44 pm
  #521  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago
Programs: UA Premier Silver
Posts: 57
Do I have ACCESS to the LH Welcome Lounge as a Business flyer with no status? I am going ORD-FRA tomorrow and since it is Sunday I may have to wait 2 hours for a train to Bonn? Husband has UA Gold . Does he have access?

Sorry newbie question and I haven't been able able to sort this out.

Ania
greene is offline  
Old Feb 15, 20, 2:52 am
  #522  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: BOM-SIN-EWR
Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Posts: 8,419
Originally Posted by greene View Post
Do I have ACCESS to the LH Welcome Lounge as a Business flyer with no status? I am going ORD-FRA tomorrow and since it is Sunday I may have to wait 2 hours for a train to Bonn? Husband has UA Gold . Does he have access?

Sorry newbie question and I haven't been able able to sort this out.

Ania
Based on the posted chart, it appears you will get access if flying in business class, but a companion *not* in biz will not.

I would have originally opined that you would only get access flying LH metal, but it seems that flying UA metal in biz is also okay...
SuperFlyBoy is offline  
Old Feb 15, 20, 2:12 pm
  #523  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago
Programs: UA Premier Silver
Posts: 57
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
Based on the posted chart, it appears you will get access if flying in business class, but a companion *not* in biz will not.

I would have originally opined that you would only get access flying LH metal, but it seems that flying UA metal in biz is also okay...
I'm on LH metal. Thanks, Does husband having Star Alliance Gold help in entry?
I'm completely exhausted as I packed for 6 hours as we are visiting an academic institute for 3 weeks. We are not typical business fliers (read academia/no expense account) but I used 70k miles to get business.
greene is offline  
Old Feb 15, 20, 2:44 pm
  #524  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: BOM-SIN-EWR
Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Posts: 8,419
Originally Posted by greene View Post
I'm on LH metal. Thanks, Does husband having Star Alliance Gold help in entry?
I'm completely exhausted as I packed for 6 hours as we are visiting an academic institute for 3 weeks. We are not typical business fliers (read academia/no expense account) but I used 70k miles to get business.
If both of you are flying business on LH metal (Intercontinental - which is appears to be in your case), that is all that you need to access the lounge!

(Keep your boarding passes to show the lounge reception)
SuperFlyBoy is offline  
Old Sep 4, 20, 8:51 am
  #525  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Posts: 28,590
is the welcome lounge open? Or is there an opening date?
cfischer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread