Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Further "improvement" of HON Circle Services

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2008, 4:26 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Originally Posted by econprof
Right... so my question is why aren't other folks similarly skewered when raising equally ridiculous issues, like which champagne they get in F or in the FCL????
I fail to see, what the rose bubble stuff has to do with the choose of 4 vans versus 16 individual limousines making their way to a plane

Anyway, I try to explain again: With all the current construction going on at FRA the logistics to manage 16 cars versus 4 cars to a plane seems to be almost impossible. Not to speak about the limited 1 or 2 dedicated parking lots per gate for those cars. Given the time a driver needs to bring his pax into the plane the first S-Type or Cayenne would have to leave the FCT more than 60 min before departure in order to bring all F pax on time on board.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 5:13 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by andre1970
Well, IMHO you will be enormously disappointed if you subscribe to a logic of "investment" when it comes to elite status in FFPs. The only case you will not be let down is when you get status as a result of your necessary (business, vacation, etc.) flight activity. That is, when you have invested zip (as in zero) in terms of money, time, etc. in attaining your status.
[…]
^ Great post. I agree with you.

Well, some people (maybe everybody here, at some point) have chosen LH/*A over some competitor because of the perks that come with status and loyalty.
I know a few who don't! Status is nice to have but just chosing an airlines or alliance because of status perks seems to be a bit short-sighted. It is the overall product that is important IMHO.

Originally Posted by flysurfer
I
Anyway, my flight to LAX departs in three hours, so I better hit the shower, pack my bag and drive the 120 km to the airport. In my very own Touareg (Cayenne light) from Sixt.
Have a safe trip.

Originally Posted by SleepOverGreenland
Anyway, I try to explain again: With all the current construction going on at FRA the logistics to manage 16 cars versus 4 cars to a plane seems to be almost impossible. Not to speak about the limited 1 or 2 dedicated parking lots per gate for those cars. Given the time a driver needs to bring his pax into the plane the first S-Type or Cayenne would have to leave the FCT more than 60 min before departure in order to bring all F pax on time on board.
I agree with the first part of your explanation. The last sentence isn't a useful argument though because it is rather limited. LH could simply appoint more drivers and get more cars to drive all pax out there. This won't be possible because of what you pointed out in the first part. So in the end you are absolutely right but the last statement reads as an argument itself and as such it doesn't withstand criticism. (sorry for being nit-picking)

Finally it kind of surprises me that a 5 or 10 min car ride gets more important than any rational or ecological argument.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 5:26 am

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:
Originally Posted by yapak2
i bow my humble head in respect for your message in general and your language skills in particular. made me laugh. too true.
Thanks yapak2 ; I did nothing but describe what's around me. So it's the appeal of reality rather than that of my words. But coming from you, your good words carry a lot of extra weight!^
Originally Posted by totti
^Great post. I agree with you.
Thanks totti!
Well, some people (maybe everybody here, at some point) have chosen LH/*A over some competitor because of the perks that come with status and loyalty. I don't really think it's odd to think of that as an investment. Whether the return to that investment (however small) is worth it is in the eye of the receiver.
Sure. If you read my second paragraph above (you quote me only on the first ) you would see that I agreed with you before even reading your post! However, I still fail to see a proper match of the word "investment" here. Myself, I don't invest anything . Right now I have status on LH, SQ, UA, CO but this is the mere result of the flying pattern required by my employers together with my desire to see my family frequently but, mind you, not amplified by my addiction to collect miles/status (which I love BTW, even though I end-up mostly donating tickets to family/friends).
I happen to fly a very competitive route (NYC-FRA) in which LH is usually the lowest or low cost alternative. The perks I get for being a SEN are definitely worth it to me.
NYC-FRA is my "shuttle-bus". Been doing this all the time since 2002. SEN is (still) valuable to me, as well, it is, nevertheless, a shadow of its former self. Still it's better than nothing.
Just curious, andre1970... you didn't happen not to finish a Ph.D. program in economics, did you??? Your responses to my posts often remind me of the kind of frustrated annoyance evinced by a lot of ABDs I know.
Oh, I see, you think I'm a smart-a$$... Fair enough... Just to not leave your question unanswered then: No ! (Well, that leaves a lot of possibilities open, I know... Lemme narrow it further down a bit: I'm not a high-school dropout either Then again, now I'm afraid that I do sound like a smart-a$$... )
Right... so my question is why aren't other folks similarly skewered when raising equally ridiculous issues, like which champagne they get in F or in the FCL????
Because the factor "ego" is minimally involved when it comes to champagne. @:-)

Last edited by andre1970; Nov 26, 2008 at 5:34 am
Old Nov 26, 2008, 6:33 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
On the other hand, it seems to me that certain similarly ridiculous complaints (the kind of champagne served in first class, for example) get discussed ad infinitum.
Times have changed... I remember when people whined about not getting the PJs in F on a day flight. The 'my seat assignment to 83K is gone' topic is still alive, but the FCT topic and the CWs continue to gain strength/

What can be done: open threads with different topics, perhaps?
Old Nov 26, 2008, 6:35 am

Because the factor "ego" is minimally involved when it comes to champagne. @:-)
You are good , couldn't agree more.

Basic problem is there are way to many HON's.
LH is far to generous when dishing out miles on intra European
flights. Up the ante!!!!
Old Nov 26, 2008, 6:59 am

I agree with the first part of your explanation. The last sentence isn't a useful argument though because it is rather limited. LH could simply appoint more drivers and get more cars to drive all pax out there. This won't be possible because of what you pointed out in the first part. So in the end you are absolutely right but the last statement reads as an argument itself and as such it doesn't withstand criticism.
No. More cars don't work IMHO. Space for parking is very limited and parking time for the cars is given by the fact, that the drivers must bring his pax to the plane. While most gates allow for about 3 cars gate A55 is a perfect example of having only 2 parking spaces for cars and one is often even occupied. The driver needs at least 5 minutes to bring the pax up and be back down. So 16 cars on 2 spots is 40 minutes at least. This would mean to start the first car transfer about 60 minutes before departure. I could see the next ton of threads coming with people complaining about the early transfer. Right?
Old Nov 26, 2008, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by seat 1a
Basic problem is there are way to many HON's.
LH is far to generous when dishing out miles on intra European
flights. Up the ante!!!!
Sure?

If so, this "problem" will be automatically reduced by (a) less flying due to current economy and (b) recent major changes to the PPB program.

But I don't agree. The number is only significantly higher than anticipated due to the LX take over. The over-crowding FCT at FRA is mainly caused, because the usage of the first class facilities is currently relatively unbalanced. This should come to an end after opening the new B FCL and providing the ego-trip in the cars as well.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 7:49 am

Programs: If I don´t have it, I don´t need it!
No. More cars don't work IMHO. Space for parking is very limited and parking time for the cars is given by the fact, that the drivers must bring his pax to the plane. While most gates allow for about 3 cars gate A55 is a perfect example of having only 2 parking spaces for cars and one is often even occupied. The driver needs at least 5 minutes to bring the pax up and be back down. So 16 cars on 2 spots is 40 minutes at least. This would mean to start the first car transfer about 60 minutes before departure. I could see the next ton of threads coming with people complaining about the early transfer. Right?
I´ll second that. It´s APRON not the Autobahn Anyway I think the limiting factor is not LH it´s Fraport.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 8:36 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Actually this is what I said in my post - at least in the end. In conjunction with the first part of your statement the argument is absolutely fine but just stating that the drivers need too much time is not sufficient (if you focus on the formal logic - Non sequitur!). Again it was nit-picking so no need to go into details. I agree with your statement in the end!
Old Nov 26, 2008, 1:58 pm

Programs: LH-SEN, DL-Platinum
I fail to see, what the rose bubble stuff has to do with the choose of 4 vans versus 16 individual limousines making their way to a plane
Both issues seem preposterous to worry about to those of us who are riding further back in the plane. Both are issues that have nothing to do with moving the passenger from point A to point B. Both are arguably services that people have paid for, either in the short term or long term.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I have nothing against a minibus ride to the plane. However, last time they bused me, LH packed 6 of us in the minivan. (5 in the back and one in the front seat). This was actually quite uncomfortable, especially for the poor guy stuck in the middle seat in the back .
IMHO 4 pax per van is ok, 6 isn't ...
Old Nov 26, 2008, 2:22 pm

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:
Anyway, I try to explain again: With all the current construction going on at FRA the logistics to manage 16 cars versus 4 cars to a plane seems to be almost impossible. [...] Given the time a driver needs to bring his pax into the plane the first S-Type or Cayenne would have to leave the FCT more than 60 min before departure in order to bring all F pax on time on board.
I agree with the first part of your explanation. The last sentence isn't a useful argument though because it is rather limited. LH could simply appoint more drivers and get more cars to drive all pax out there. This won't be possible because of what you pointed out in the first part.
Not that totti's post is in any need of additional interpretations, but it would be useful to note that totti's point is purely technical, IMHO a very incisive observation.

If your first sentence ("With all the current construction going on at FRA the logistics to manage 16 cars versus 4 cars to a plane seems to be almost impossible.") is true, then the second is redundant in the sense that it doesn't add any new information to your main argument (that "it is not possible/feasible to shuttle everyone individually in reasonable times...") since its negation (i.e., "it is possible to shuttle each pax individually on the plane, e.g., during the last 20 minutes") is already ruled out by your first sentence.

If OTOH your claim Re: logistics restrictions is false, then the "problem" in your second statement can be obviously overcome by hiring more people (which would be possible thanks to the assumed invalidity of your first statement). So, again it is redundant.

Finally it kind of surprises me that a 5 or 10 min car ride gets more important than any rational or ecological argument.
If LH Marketing start writing in their HON/FCT brochures BS like: "Limousine Pooling! Green Luxury! Save the environment by sharing a ride to the plane and gain some karma!", I'm confident the Whole Foods guys, those who buy free-trade coffee and munch home-made granola layered with seasonal fruit and non-fat yogurt for breakfast at their local indy café will definitely be happy to oblige...The rest, will just follow!
Old Nov 26, 2008, 5:21 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I like this idea. General boarding is 30 minutes before departure unless you are a HON or in F. Then you must board 60 minutes before to fully enjoy the onboard service. This would also solve the problem of too many people in the FCT.
What a brilliant plan. @:-)
Old Nov 26, 2008, 5:46 pm

I would still prefer the fully individualised rides on a mountain bike. My fear is that it will only be available for HON+. This would also solve the parking space problem mentionned above. Sucessful completion of your fist bike ride will trigger off supply of a personalised airport lay-out map for the next rides

How do you get to HON+? Second time refusal to ride in the van
Old Nov 26, 2008, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA, US, AA, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt
The driver needs at least 5 minutes to bring the pax up and be back down.
The handover ritual by the driver at door of the plane is a waste of time. Waiting for the driver to be checked with the wand before he can enter the jetway, etc. It adds fuss, not value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.