Wiki Posts
Search

HON question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2008, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
HON question

I have a question that I was asked by a friend of mine but I couldn't provide the right answer and I look for your help.

If you make in first year 550K HON miles and then in the first 2 months you completed the 50K HON miles and you qualify to become a HON as of march 1 then will you be a HON for the rest of the year plus 2 more years ( march 1-Dec 31 plus the next 2 years 2 yeras and 10 months ) or you will be only a HON for 2 years starting from March ?
Old Nov 13, 2008, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
We had a bit of a dispute about this some time ago in a different thread: At least on the question if you become HON before the end of February.
My theory is that it is better to qualify for HON AFTER March 1st of the following year.
TFM disagreed to this statement though....

Paging Flamboyant1 ! (He has it in writing from LH!)
Old Nov 13, 2008, 2:40 pm

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
If you qualify on or before 28/29 February in year X your HON status will be valid until 28/29 February in year X+2.

If you qualify on or after 1 March in year X your HON status will be valid until 28/29 February in year X+3.

Better to qualify after March 1st as Rambuster says.

Regards
Old Nov 14, 2008, 1:52 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Oops! I must be careful then no to renew to quickly! At current pattern I'll most probably requalify somewheren in January 2009.

Maybe time to "strategically" fly on AF a lot until March, thus renew my AF Platinum status, switch back to LH after that and reach requalification after March 1st.

But then, on second thoughts, not sure I want to go through the AF hell all too often either...
Old Nov 14, 2008, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by creber
Oops! I must be careful then no to renew to quickly! At current pattern I'll most probably requalify somewheren in January 2009.

Maybe time to "strategically" fly on AF a lot until March, thus renew my AF Platinum status, switch back to LH after that and reach requalification after March 1st.

But then, on second thoughts, not sure I want to go through the AF hell all too often either...
I think the methodology mentioned by flamboyant1 and myself only apply for first time qualifications and not for renewals.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 2:23 am

Programs: LH MM
exactly. your requalification creber will just add 2 years to whenever your status runs out.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 2:38 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by creber

Well, there is always the option of flying LH, but crediting to another FFP (e.g. BD, while it lasts). This way, you can also still use your HON card to access the F benefits.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 2:52 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, Sixt Platinum, Lufthansa FTL
Talking

Hi

Another idea:
Just fly in Jan. and Feb. without adding your MM Number to the booking. Then get the status in March. As soon as you are confirmed for the longer status make a miles credit claim on the flights you flew in Jan. and Feb.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 3:02 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Jossijoe
Hi

Another idea:
Just fly in Jan. and Feb. without adding your MM Number to the booking. Then get the status in March. As soon as you are confirmed for the longer status make a miles credit claim on the flights you flew in Jan. and Feb.
Crediting them to BD would still make more sense unless you have too many miles anyway.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 3:23 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by Rambuster
We had a bit of a dispute about this some time ago in a different thread: At least on the question if you become HON before the end of February.
My theory is that it is better to qualify for HON AFTER March 1st of the following year.
TFM disagreed to this statement though....

Paging Flamboyant1 ! (He has it in writing from LH!)
Even though Flamboyant1 may have this in writing it sounds rather strange to me. Why can someone qualify for SEN in Jan and Feb and gets status for the remaining year + two full years (I know at least two person live and in person) while you can't for do so for HON?

But didn't we always suspect that HON's are a discriminated species
Old Nov 14, 2008, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by totti
But didn't we always suspect that HON's are a discriminated species

With the global economy being in the state it is in, HONs might even be an endangered species !
Old Nov 14, 2008, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by Rambuster
With the global economy being in the state it is in, HONs might even be an endangered species !
Probably we have to organize a HON fundraising program? We could set up a HON foundation for endangered HONs! I am volunteering to serve as president
Old Nov 14, 2008, 4:20 am

Programs: Lufthansa, Starwood Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Avis
Originally Posted by totti
Probably we have to organize a HON fundraising program? We could set up a HON foundation for endangered HONs! I am volunteering to serve as president
But keep in mind the president get´s a free HON Membership
Old Nov 14, 2008, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by LFCorsten
But keep in mind the president get´s a free HON Membership
Sure! That's why I am volunteering
Old Nov 14, 2008, 6:48 am

Programs: too many
Originally Posted by LH/LX
I have a question that I was asked by a friend of mine but I couldn't provide the right answer and I look for your help.

If you make in first year 550K HON miles and then in the first 2 months you completed the 50K HON miles and you qualify to become a HON as of march 1 then will you be a HON for the rest of the year plus 2 more years ( march 1-Dec 31 plus the next 2 years 2 yeras and 10 months ) or you will be only a HON for 2 years starting from March ?
Why bother? With that flight pattern, get HON as quick as you can and start to enjoy it. Looks like your friend can hardly avoid requalifying, even if the thresholds should get "improved"...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.