Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2013, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: supine
Do I have entitlement to access the First Class Terminal (FCT) in FRA?
- Yes, if you are departing from FRA on a flight operated by LH/LX/OS, and at least one of the following is true:
  • The class of service on your departing flight from FRA is F.
  • You have arrived on a confirmed F segment on LH or LX metal, on the same day, even if the ticket of that F segment is different from the ticket of the segment from FRA.
  • You will be departing on a confirmed F segment on LH or LX metal, on the same day from a connecting station, and the ticket of that F segment is the same ticket as the segment from FRA. Separate tickets means you are not entitled to FCT access.
  • You hold HON status.
  • You are invited as a guest by someone who meets the above criteria, and you meet the requirements of a guest as discussed later in this FAQ.

But the LH website contradicts the above:"Access to the First Class Terminal at Frankfurt Airport is only possible with a confirmed same-day departing First Class flight on Lufthansa or SWISS. HON Circle Members may access the First Class Terminal with a same-day departing flight on Lufthansa, SWISS or Austrian Airlines. Access to the First Class Terminal is not permitted for arriving passengers."

- The above has been on the web site for some time, and does not appear to be the actual policy, as many here attest from personal experience.

What are the opening times of the FCT?
- 0530 to 2200 daily

Where is it located?
- About 200 metres to the west of Terminal 1

If arriving in FRA on a LH operated flight in F, will I get a car transfer from the arriving flight?
- Ordinarily, no. However, if you hold HON status, you're arriving / departing from an apron position and your onward flight is operated by LH / LX / OS, LH aims to send a car to meet you from your arriving aircraft. See for more info. NB If you do get the car service on arrival, you will be driven to the main arrivals area and not the FCT, as this does not offer immigration and customs facilities for inbound passengers.

How do I get to the FCT in FRA?
- The First Class Terminal at Frankfurt is located close to Terminal 1. You can reach it by car via the access road to Terminal 1: the entrance to the First Class Terminal is off this road, approximately 200 metres before you get to Terminal 1. When arriving on public transport, the First Class Terminal is only a few minutes’ walk from Terminal 1.

Locations of Lufthansa lounges at Frankfurt Airport

The FCT is a departure terminal/lounge and is not meant for transfer pax. Transfer pax can use the FCLs located in the main terminal building which offer the same amenities as the FCT. There is no transfer or shuttle to the FCT. You can walk to the FCT, though.

If on departure level take the escalator down to arrival, walk out of the terminal and turn left. You will pass the bus shuttles to the airport hotels and taxis. Cross the street - whilst waking under the access road above to departures - you will see taxi divers' coffee shop to the right - and more taxis parked to your left. You will see the First Class Terminal across the street. Cross the street in front of the coffee shop, turn right and the First Class Terminal is on your left. Go through the automatic doors and take the elevator to the main reception area.

Pictorial guide may be found here.

If the FCT is not meant to be a transfer lounge then why do some people use it as such?
- Aside from the experience, there are practical reasons for you to consider using the FCT for a connection:
  • If you have a long layover, the FCT will be less crowded than the FCL B (but more crowded than the even newer FCL A by A13).
  • If your connection requires clearing passport controls, it is faster to do it at the FCT where you will surrender your passport upon admittance and get it back moments before you are driven to your plane. Presumably if immigration has questions they will deal with it while you are lounging in the FCT versus waiting until you depart for your plane. Note that permanent residents of the USA who are heading back to the USA from FRA or a connecting airport should also surrender their green card, but gently but firmly request it be returned quickly. The German immigration people don't need your green card, and LH only needs it to enter into the passenger record, so there is no reason why your personal assistant cannot return it to you soon after.
  • You do not have to waste time walking from the FCL to a gate position that is potentially more distant from the lounge than your arriving gate, or worse yet, is actually a bus to a plane parked at an apron position in the middle of the tarmac. You will leave the FCT after boarding starts and a driver will take you to the plane wherever it is.
  • If your plane is parked at a jetway, you will be whisked to the front of the line of pax boarding in the jetway, saving even more time.
  • If your connection requires going through security, you are guaranteed to have a much faster and gentler screening at the FCT than going through security in the main terminals, and if you are carrying valuables, the FCT checkpoint eliminates all angst about theft or forgetting them.

How many guests am I permitted in the FCT?
- One, assuming a lower cabin class and that they will be travelling on the same flight as you. If they also are confirmed to travel in F, they too will be entitled to a guest, meeting the same criteria
- Anyone with a confirmed segment in F is also entitled to bring in their spouse/partner and/or children, provided they are departing on the same flight, irrespective of the cabin class they are travelling in

I’m arriving on LH/LX/OS C and departing TG/SQ/etc. F, do I get in to the F terminal?
- No, but you will have access LH Senator (Star Alliance Gold) Lounges which are designated as First Class Lounges for Star Alliance carriers.

I'm arriving on TG/SQ/etc. F and departing on LH, Swiss, Austrian C do I get in to the FCT?
- Not unless you hold HON status, otherwise you will have access LH Business Lounges unlesss you hold Star Alliance Gold status and access to LH Senator (Star Alliance Gold) Lounges. Certain airlines (e.g. SQ) have arrangements for arriving F passengers to access LH Senator Lounges regardless of their status.

I’m arriving on any carrier in any cabin class and departing same day on LH/LX F do I get in to the FCT?
- Yes.

I'm arriving on LH / LX F and departing same day on another carrier in any cabin class, will I have access to the FCT?
- Yes, if your onward flight is operated by LH, Swiss or Austrian Airlines Group. Otherwise, you will only have access to the LH First Class Lounges or (if eligible) the lounge of the airline operating your onward flight.

What is the minimum connect time between flights in order to use the FCT?
- 90 mins is recommended, however some have observed that 60 mins is acceptable, while others still have got away with just 20 mins. Bear in mind, if in transit, that you will need to factor in the time between arrival and departure

Do I need to tip the staff in the FCT?
- According to LH policy, FCT staff are not allowed to accept gratuities.

What's the food like in the FCT?
- Well above the standard of anything you might expect from any airline in the air, a cut above lounge food of any other airline and equivalent to a smart restaurant in any major city

VAT Refund
- Yes, but there is a $75 trip fee and CC refund only.

Print Wikipost

The FRA F/HON First Class Terminal FCT FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
It shouldn’t be a problem. If asked tell them you are going to the FCL.
Many thanks ^

Originally Posted by zombietooth
If you read my post above...
I did indeed read your post. In fact, it was inspiration for me to "read the helpful wikis here prior to arrival"

Originally Posted by zombietooth
I was worried that they would say something like "why didn't you stay on the non-Schengen side", but they didn't utter a word. So you will have absolutely no problem.
This is reassuring, thank you!
Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
"....and feels so "old" to me".

More than fair enough.
And... we are, after all, "The Geezers"
The CCR was "just our style"!

Also... I don't think that it was the early arrival. The "bar" area wasn't going to be biggie for us no matter what. (Well, maybe later in the day, if they had a truly fine Bordeaux...)
And we arrived in the CCR also a bit travel stressed, albeit with the long haul still to go. We had gotten up at about 4:15am, needing to catch just about the earliest flight out of Bergen, due to a schedule change by BA, thus requiring a *long* connection time (mostly unused) in Oslo, and then an even longer connection in LHR.
That's life, different people have different styles. For example, I have always, probably ever since I had my first dinner at a Chinese buffet, hated booths, and the ones at the CCR are no exception; just like it more open and bright, want to see planes while I am eating.

If you enjoy the CCR, absolutely go for it! I have probably, hence my nickname, been there a few times too often.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by worldclubber
That's life, different people have different styles. For example, I have always, probably ever since I had my first dinner at a Chinese buffet, hated booths, and the ones at the CCR are no exception; just like it more open and bright, want to see planes while I am eating.

If you enjoy the CCR, absolutely go for it! I have probably, hence my nickname, been there a few times too often.
Oh golly... now I'll have dreams of rows of booths with long seats, upholstered in red vinyl with tufted backs.. :-)

But yes, this does show some of the difficulties that designers have when catering to wide varieties of clienteles, even among F travelers. We all have very different backgrounds and also current tastes.
The CCR was just *perfect* for us. We had about 5-6 hours to kill there, and it was a pleasure (to the extent possible given it was late in a long travel day).

And ALL of this discussion is so obviously such a "First World" problem that it really is - or should be - at least a bit embarrassing.

More than ever, I think this was a function of "expectations" for us, regarding the LH FRA FCL.
It was, after all, a VERY peaceful and comfortable place to relax, and we should focus on being very grateful to have such places to wait.
But we *have* seen some Priority Pass Lounges that were similar in furnishings... (not counting the bar/dining).

However, the wheelchair problem at FRA/LH (for us and the others dumped off that flight, regardless of class of service)... that was another thing entirely. And the thought of that one older woman [we are, after all, per our little bio on the side, still "retirees in training"!] being left there alone, where it would have been so easy for NO ONE to have noticed her for some time... NOT okay!
--> Where should we complain, in hopes of better service for all who need it in the future?

GC
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
We are back from our trip, with quite a bit to report.

Now... the FRA FCL.
How do I put this? It was a dramatic disappointment.

The CCR didn't match the CX HKG F lounge experience, but it came close, and we would take either in a blink.

GC
[Should I don fire/flame-proof attire now?]
Thank you for the comprehensive report.
Your F arrival experience was appalling, please do report/ complain about this, use the feedback form on LH.com, no one requiring special assistance should have to go through that !

I am sure the terrible arrival experience has clouded your opinion of FCL B, IMHO it’s one of the best lounges in the World, the furnishings & fittings are top class & always spotlessly clean, the bathrooms spacious & luxurious, Cigar lounge with private bar, wow factor main bar with amazing choice of drinks, Sure at 6 am you won’t want to utilise that but you could have tried a glass of one of the 5 Champagnes on offer to steady your frayed nerves. The table service is excellent & the food of the very highest quality, maybe a slice of Iberico Ham to go with the Champagne 😊 Bedrooms for a nap & Limo transfer unless the flight departs from a B gate, this package beats or equals most F lounges.

I like the CCR, makes a change from my most frequented lounges in FRA, MUC & ZRH but CCR service is hit & miss, until recently the furniture was a disgrace, frayed & filthy, lack of power sockets & the shower rooms are shared with business, small too, unless you are lucky enough to grab one of the few Cabanas.

CX lounges are excellent in HKG but they have service issues & the food quality has been going downhill, they are changing caterers AGAIN this Month....

Shame you did not get to try the FCT, that’s the best because you have a dedicated PA who takes care of everything whilst you are there, no waiting at desk areas for the Limo.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 4:41 am

I was there yesterday and i can see there are a few cuts in service and products. In the bathroom there is no more any Etro procucts like the use to have, the food in the restaurant in the buffet is not the same is use to be, no label tags in the buffet, and some other small cuts you can figure out if you are a frequent visitor of the FCT.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 7:28 am

I really can't think of many ways in which the CCR hardware is better than the FCT, at least from the perspective of someone who really prefers the FCT/FCL's modern German decor. IMO the most striking difference is the shower/bath facilities - even the CCR Cabanas have all the glamour of a 2-star Travelodge with some fancy looking furniture looking very out of place.

I suppose if you catch the CCR restaurant on a good day, the menu can be not too bad. Wines tend to be the saving grace.

Schlepping from the CCR to bus gate A10 for the dreaded bus ordeal is just a cherry on top if you have the misfortune.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by chris63
.... I am sure the terrible arrival experience has clouded your opinion of FCL B, IMHO it’s one of the best lounges in the World, the furnishings & fittings are top class & always spotlessly clean, the bathrooms spacious & luxurious, Cigar lounge with private bar, wow factor main bar with amazing choice of drinks, ...
It is a fine FCL, but among the best in the world? For me, not even close to being 'among the best in the world'. I guess we all see things differently. (IMHO - It is not even in the top 3 for LH! FCT, New MUC FCL, and JFK hold those spots.)
Old Mar 24, 2018, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by stargold
I really can't think of many ways in which the CCR hardware is better than the FCT, at least from the perspective of someone who really prefers the FCT/FCL's modern German decor.
While I personally consider the FCL/FCT to be among the very top lounges in the world, I could see how some people prefer the CCR furnishing (more like a traditional British country club) than the "modern German", open concept layout (the FCL/FCT arguably also has a stronger emphasis on providing an environment conductive to working while the CCR has a stronger emphasis on "relaxing")
Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:02 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by carenero
I was there yesterday and i can see there are a few cuts in service and products. In the bathroom there is no more any Etro procucts like the use to have, the food in the restaurant in the buffet is not the same is use to be, no label tags in the buffet, and some other small cuts you can figure out if you are a frequent visitor of the FCT.
I haven't been to the FCT for a while but in the FCL B recently the food in the buffet had labels (also in the MUC FCL but I realise they are under different management) and Etro products were found in the bathroom in the FCL A. They are no longer in small plastic bottles as they used to be but are in colourful tubes.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Global321
It is a fine FCL, but among the best in the world? For me, not even close to being 'among the best in the world'. I guess we all see things differently. (IMHO - It is not even in the top 3 for LH! FCT, New MUC FCL, and JFK hold those spots.)
Of course we all see things differently BUT come on how can JFK beat FCL B ? Just consider the offerings....

FCT is my No 1 but MUC lounges are also fantastic, as are ZRH

These I listed as best in the World, so which are for you ?
Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by chris63

Of course we all see things differently BUT come on how can JFK beat FCL B ? Just consider the offerings....

FCT is my No 1 but MUC lounges are also fantastic, as are ZRH

These I listed as best in the World, so which are for you ?
FCL lounges that beat LH...
(in no particular order)
  1. Air France, Paris
  2. Singapore Air, Singapore
  3. Etihad First Class Lounge, Abu Dubai
  4. Emirates First Class Lounge, Dubai
  5. Al Safwa First Class Lounge, Doha
  6. Swiss First Class Lounge, Zurich (Yes I know owned by LH, but not LH)

As good, and in many people's eyes better...
(also in no particular order)
  1. Thai Airways, Bangkok (I prefer over LH.)
  2. Garuda First Class Lounge, Jakarta
  3. Concorde Room, London
  4. Cathay Pacific The Pier, Hong Kong (I prefer over LH.)

Honorable Mention (aka beats some of LH FCL in MUC/FRA)
  1. ANA First Class Lounge, Tokyo
  2. Qantas, Sydney
So as you can see there are plenty of FCL's that are world class and in many people's eye's are better than the LH FCL's. It also depends on what you need. Seemless transfer? Hard to beat Air France. Clearing security/customs/getting to the lounge? gotta love Thai and the golf card. Getting to the plane heading to the USA, gotta love LH and skipping all that extra security. Oil Massage? Thai. Champagne? Air France. Food? Lots of choices. I like CX. Exclusiveness/Posh? Etihad or Emirates. Etc.

LH could be in the running as among the best, except the transfer process/getting to the lounge is terrible. Arguably the worst. That has to count for something. And without complimentary massage, a more dedicated restaurant, more than a few sleeping pods, no relaxing pods, and without improved seating areas, it is relegated to the second tier of best of the best, IMHO. (Not too bad.)

But, hey, we should remember, we are debating the 1% of 1% of first world problems!
Cheers!
Old Mar 24, 2018, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(in no particular order)
  1. Air France, Paris

As good, and in many people's eyes better...
(also in no particular order)
  1. Thai Airways, Bangkok (I prefer over LH.)
  2. Garuda First Class Lounge, Jakarta
  3. Concorde Room, London
  4. Cathay Pacific The Pier, Hong Kong (I prefer over LH.)

Honorable Mention (aka beats some of LH FCL in MUC/FRA)
  1. ANA First Class Lounge, Tokyo
  2. Qantas, Sydney
So as you can see there are plenty of FCL's that are world class and in many people's eye's are better than the LH FCL's. It also depends on what you need. Seemless transfer? Hard to beat Air France. Clearing security/customs/getting to the lounge? gotta love Thai and the golf card. Getting to the plane heading to the USA, gotta love LH and skipping all that extra security. Oil Massage? Thai. Champagne? Air France. Food? Lots of choices. I like CX. Exclusiveness/Posh? Etihad or Emirates. Etc.

LH could be in the running as among the best, except the transfer process/getting to the lounge is terrible. Arguably the worst. That has to count for something. And without complimentary massage, a more dedicated restaurant, more than a few sleeping pods, no relaxing pods, and without improved seating areas, it is relegated to the second tier of best of the best, IMHO. (Not too bad.)

But, hey, we should remember, we are debating the 1% of 1% of first world problems!
Cheers!
As said, I consider LH FCL’s to be amongst the best in the World, obviously there are others.....

Personally I’m not a fan of EK FCL’s, too big, showers are poor & Zero ground service at DXB.

TG FCL & I’m there way too much, is worn out, the noise from external boarding announcements is awful, poor F&B & the buggy is hit & miss.

SQ TPR is great but the main FCL poor for their hub at SIN.

ANA NRT FCL, just ok.

CX FCL’s are great but have issues with service & food quality & very far from exclusive since OW elites have access.

LH FCL’s are exclusive, you need to fly LH group F or be HON
dsched likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Ducks that beat LH ducks...
None
Old Mar 24, 2018, 10:06 pm

(in no particular order)
  1. Air France, Paris
I have to respectfully disagree with this list, having visited #2 , #3 , and #5 recently. The Private Room in Singapore is certainly very exclusive, but the lounge food is not good, the furniture is very old, and it's smaller than the FCT. The Etihad FCL *used to* be very good, but with the recent implementation of cost-cutting measures (removal of complimentary barber services, removal of Emirates Palace tasting menu, etc..) it is no longer better than the FCT. #5 is stylish but low on substance- the food is borderline inedible and overcooked.

I'd say that #1 is better (provided they're not on strike ) as is #6 Terminal E. Haven't been to #4 .
Old Mar 24, 2018, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
I have to respectfully disagree with this list, having visited #2 , #3 , and #5 recently. The Private Room in Singapore is certainly very exclusive, but the lounge food is not good, the furniture is very old, and it's smaller than the FCT. The Etihad FCL *used to* be very good, but with the recent implementation of cost-cutting measures (removal of complimentary barber services, removal of Emirates Palace tasting menu, etc..) it is no longer better than the FCT. #5 is stylish but low on substance- the food is borderline inedible and overcooked.
I'd say that #1 is better (provided they're not on strike ) as is #6 Terminal E. Haven't been to #4 .
+1

My personal ranking having visited most of these at least once in the last year or so.
Note: Have not visited the Haneda lounges or the new Swiss Terminal E, so I can't yet rate.

1. Air France Paris
2. Lufthansa FCT Frankfurt
3. Lufthansa Frankfurt
4. Lufthansa Munich
5. Emirates Concourse A Dubai
6. Qatar Al Safwa Doha
7. Cathay Pacific The Pier HKG
8. Qantas Sydney
9. Qatar Paris
10. Singapore TPR
11. Cathay Pacific The Wing HKG
12. Etihad Abu Dhabi
13. American (Flagship First Dining) JFK
14. Qantas LAX
15. Thai Bangkok
16. Garuda Jakarta
17. BA Concorde Heathrow
18. ANA Suites Narita
19. Asiana Incheon
20. Korean Incheon
21. JAL Narita Annex

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.