OT: Academic Titles as used by LH

Old Oct 20, 08, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:
OT: Academic Titles as used by LH

Originally Posted by econprof View Post
...Although it was only "Herr Econprof" and not "Herr Prof. Dr. Econprof"...
Don't you think this is a redundancy? How many times you need to hear it?

On a more serious note (and although I fully realize LH is a German airline) the German convention of addressing someone as "Prof. Dr." (which is BTW also used in some other parts of Europe/world) is not an approved term in the US. Actually, it sounds very awkward as an expression. I'd rather say funny.

Last edited by andre1970; Oct 20, 08 at 10:12 pm Reason: typosss
Old Oct 20, 08, 10:17 pm

I would say stilted.
Old Oct 21, 08, 2:18 am
hch

On my first flight as SEN (408 DUS-EWR) was greeted by name by the crew. Although it was only "Herr Econprof" and not "Herr Prof. Dr. Econprof"...

No greeting from the Purser, though. And no op-up... I think C was full and Y wasn't completely full.
Recently I was also greeted as Herr Dr. hch by the purser
Old Oct 21, 08, 2:21 am
hch

Originally Posted by andre1970 View Post

On a more serious note (and although I fully realize LH is a German airline) the German convention of addressing someone as "Prof. Dr." (which is BTW also used in some other parts of Europe/world) is not an approved term in the US. Actually, it sounds very awkward as an expression. I'd rather say funny.
There's been a pretty long thread on FT on this issue..
Old Oct 21, 08, 2:43 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond

The M&M member sign-up page only gives the options of Mr. or Ms. (Herr or Frau if registering in German) for title/salutation but you can choose from Dr. Prof. and Prof.Dr. for academic title. Why ask for academic titles if cabin staff are not trained to use them properly?

Look at the BAEC sign-up page where you can choose not only from Mr, Ms, Mrs, Miss, Herr, Frau, Dr, Monsieur but also Air Vice Marshall, Archbishop, Crown Prince, His Holiness, Lady, President, etc. etc.
Old Oct 21, 08, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, CX DIA, EK Gold
Originally Posted by hch View Post
I thought in Austria everyone was Herr Dr. or some other fancy title ?
Old Oct 21, 08, 3:30 am

Programs: LH-SEN
I agree it's pretty stuffy... and technically I should be "Prof. econprof, Ph.D." since I did my graduate work in the US (being American and all). But my BP always says Prof Dr. blah blah, so... was just amused that the FAs didn't use it.

Maybe on LH I should insist they call me Herr Senator Prof. Dr. Econprof. Of course the weight of that pomposity might bring the plane down... or at least increase the fuel costs to justify the outrageous YC charges.
Old Oct 21, 08, 3:42 am
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Same here, happens once in a while. Herr Dr. SleepOverGreenland. But I'm not, and oh well, as long as nobody sues me for misuse of academic title...
Old Oct 21, 08, 5:04 am

Programs: LH HON->SEN, BA GGL->Gold, DL Plat, HH D, IHG Plat, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC
Maybe on LH I should insist they call me Herr Senator Prof. Dr. Econprof.
Ha! I was in a lounge the other day (DUS or CGN I think). Spoke to the lounge lady and to answer my question she needed to call someone else by phone. No kidding - she told the other party "Herr Senator hippo72 möchte wissen....." (Mr Senator hippo72 wants to know....). It was hard for me to not to start laughing/smiling. Found that amusing.
No, that's not a complaint!
Old Oct 21, 08, 5:38 am
hch

Originally Posted by Hippo72 View Post
Ha! I was in a lounge the other day (DUS or CGN I think). Spoke to the lounge lady and to answer my question she needed to call someone else by phone. No kidding - she told the other party "Herr Senator hippo72 möchte wissen....." (Mr Senator hippo72 wants to know....). It was hard for me to not to start laughing/smiling. Found that amusing.
No, that's not a complaint!
When LH ground staff calls around they always say I have a Seantor / HON around that wants/need <blah>. But making that a Herr Senator is indeed quite funny..
Old Oct 21, 08, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
Why ask for academic titles if cabin staff are not trained to use them properly?
Because people desperately need them... I only find it useful for medical doctors to be identified by their title for obvious reasons. And of course, only if they have agreed to provide their services as needed.
I agree it's pretty stuffy... and technically I should be "Prof. econprof, Ph.D." since I did my graduate work in the US (being American and all).
Well, then you're pretty familiar with colleagues, students, staff, etc. addressing you by your first name instead. Doesn't "Herr Lastname" constitute a smooth transition from the norm in your working environment, everything else being scarily otherworldly ?
Maybe on LH I should insist they call me Herr Senator Prof. Dr. Econprof.
...and once you're HON? Would "Your HONor Prof. Dr. Econprof" cut it? But then, what about a Judge in the US who holds a PhD in addition to a JD and happens to be a Professor in Law School (not at all unusual, actually)? Would "HONSQR" (HON square) be enough to satisfy his ego?
Of course the weight of that pomposity might bring the plane down... or at least increase the fuel costs to justify the outrageous YC charges.
Good one!^
..."Herr Senator hippo72 möchte wissen....." (Mr Senator hippo72 wants to know....). It was hard for me to not to start laughing/smiling. Found that amusing.
Sounds like there are so many people who would even complain if someone didn't use their ...FFP title properly ! The very topic of this thread (and similar ones) and number of "greeting-by-the-Purser" posts is a good proxy of the title-mania thriving in our society I find this utterly pathetic and certainly hinting to potential deficits on other fronts. They just don't see that they make a caricature out of themselves and while lounge wardens and FAs (are forced to) comply, they have good laughs behind their back...
Old Oct 21, 08, 7:38 am
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP
Because people desperately need them... I only find it useful for medical doctors to be identified by their title for obvious reasons. And of course, only if they have agreed to provide their services as needed...
Which of course is only a statistic indication as a physician doesn't need a doctoral degree - they are even becoming less common these days.
..the German convention of addressing someone as "Prof. Dr." (which is BTW also used in some other parts of Europe/world) is not an approved term in the US. Actually, it sounds very awkward as an expression. I'd rather say funny.
It is twice as awkward as it actually sounds as in Germany, it is near impossible to get the Prof. without a doctoral degree. But in many other countries it is no problem whatsoever.
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
..Why ask for academic titles if cabin staff are not trained to use them properly? ..
Because they ARE trained - whenever the LH folks don't call me by some swearword, they call me Dr. weero.

But a Prof.Dr. in spoken language is always abridged to Prof - aren't they?
Old Oct 21, 08, 8:48 am
hch

Originally Posted by weero View Post
But a Prof.Dr. in spoken language is always abridged to Prof - aren't they?
Not in Vienna :-)

Back many years ago when I lived at my parents place I seriously had people asking for Herr Professor Doktor Dimplom-Ingenieur Fatherofhch on the phone.
Old Oct 21, 08, 9:04 am
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Not in Vienna :-)

Back many years ago when I lived at my parents place I seriously had people asking for Herr Professor Doktor Dimplom-Ingenieur Fatherofhch on the phone.
Oh I remember those days...

Happened in the early 90s, when I was a little engineer and my sales manager was almost kicked out of the door of the AKH in vienna. I finally stepped in verbally and used the titles of the professors and professor dr and professor dr dr in a way, that they started listening me and totally ignored my sales manager. My sales manager was intelligent enough to be quiet afterwards and we got the project.
Old Oct 21, 08, 10:36 am

Programs: LH/LX
"Herr Senator hippo72 möchte wissen....." (Mr Senator hippo72 wants to know....). It was hard for me to not to start laughing/smiling. Found that amusing.
You should be happy being addressed as Senator
Others are less lucky: John Mccain Calls Senator Obama "That One"

Search this Thread
Search Engine: