Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is HON worth to you?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2008, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by pokeshot
For me HON was worth about 8K. As my employer only pays for Y tickets that was the money I spent out of my own pocket to pay the difference to C. Was it worth it? The perks are nice, but in times when I needed the "attention" (i.e. missed connections) the status sometimes proved to be a drawback (anyone remember that for a whole HONs flying out of SAS managed stations would be tagged as *Blue/Base?).

As I changed my travel patterns to spend more time with my family (and the employer still only pays Y) I will probably end up 100K miles short for my requalification next year. Would I spend 15K for two MRs to SIN in F (not doing the HON Run again): Probably not.
I did the same and I regret every penny. I've qualified for HON end of last year. So far I needed the direct transfer about 10 times. In half of the cases it didn't work. But hey, you get nice apologies and most of the time a reason ("we were so busy transferring other HON´s").

Once I came in late. No transfer. They hat put me on a later flight. I ran to the gate and made it in time for my earlier flight. But, so sorry, my seat had been given to someone else. The flight was overbooked...

In Y you can totally forget your status. Same as Cityline. It is like flying BA. I've been on a flight in a Canadair Jet and was the only one on the plane with a seat neighbor. Probably the other 30 people on the plane were also HONs.

Old Oct 29, 2008, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by HombreDeLasNubes
I did the same and I regret every penny. I've qualified for HON end of last year. So far I needed the direct transfer about 10 times. In half of the cases it didn't work. But hey, you get nice apologies and most of the time a reason ("we were so busy transferring other HON´s").

Once I came in late. No transfer. They hat put me on a later flight. I ran to the gate and made it in time for my earlier flight. But, so sorry, my seat had been given to someone else. The flight was overbooked...

In Y you can totally forget your status. Same as Cityline. It is like flying BA. I've been on a flight in a Canadair Jet and was the only one on the plane with a seat neighbor. Probably the other 30 people on the plane were also HONs.

Welcome to FT anyway HombreDeLasNubes !
Old Oct 29, 2008, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Rambuster
Welcome to FT anyway HombreDeLasNubes !
Thanks, Rambuster!

And thanks to all the people here on this board for sharing valuable info!

HombreDeLasNubes
Old Oct 29, 2008, 11:58 pm
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA

I think it depends from where are you based, so that you can use the FCT or the FCL. OS VIE HON lounge is a mess, so they will not get any money for me for making the HON.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 12:27 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Welcome to FT HombreDeLasNubes

You are only the second HON I heard to be so critical of LH's operations. But then I am the only SEN to constantly complain. Or almost constantly as totti told me not to!

I wonder how even in premium centric airlines such as LH and SQ the elite benefits could take such a bump - I just sat next to a PPS on an SQ birdie who did not find one pleasant wording for KrisFlyer and his treatment by SQ. I felt understood!

So why did you not sign up as HONbreDeLasNubes, if I may ask ?
Old Oct 30, 2008, 1:20 am

Programs: LH HON, AF FB Platinum
I've been on a flight in a Canadair Jet and was the only one on the plane with a seat neighbor. Probably the other 30 people on the plane were also HONs.
I've mad the same experience when flying Y: empty seats all over the plane but my neighbour seat has been occupied. After my complaints I got standard answers. On the other hand I am still satisfied with HON.
Salve Luigi
Old Oct 30, 2008, 2:54 am

Programs: LH SEN (I miss my HON days), Sixt Diamond, everything else is silver by now
Originally Posted by SenAOI
I've mad the same experience when flying Y: empty seats all over the plane but my neighbour seat has been occupied. After my complaints I got standard answers. On the other hand I am still satisfied with HON.
Salve Luigi
I had this discussion with a purser on a short flight, when I constantly got really bad seats on Swiss after making HON. On that flight it was the last row on the Avro 100 (even less pitch, no recline). My statement: "Since making HON, LX is really letting me know subtly that I should pay for C" made him smile, and we assigned me a seat up front.

All in all, I am happy with HON and the service most of the time.
I just stated that I wouldn't pay money out of my own pocket again to attain it.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 4:54 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Originally Posted by weero
While I actually do believe that and also believe that this was the decisive factor in launching the expensive HON program .. it strongly collides with the schedule driven logic as andre1970 explains.

As we see in prime examples such as SMK77 - many premium flyers go out of their way to travel in the fattest possible luxury.

I do agree that LH probably hasn't planned for those who do MRs and fly ZRH-STR 4 times a day but HON is not tailored for people with schedule only in mind.
Well, I did never say that there is only one way or the other. What I was saying is, that there is IMHO a majority of HONs acting a specific way and don't spend a minute to think about the cheapest way to get HON or MRs. This may happen by a couple handful people, but not more.

If a SEN is short for qualification or a HON is short for requalification some may decide for an extra trip or a pure MR. This may make perfect sense due to all the benefits involved. But this is still different from the thinking from scratch, which is "This is the (total) money I have to spend to be a HON". I find this still ... eh ... FUNNY.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 5:34 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by SleepOverGreenland
..don't spend a minute to think about the cheapest way to get HON or MRs. This may happen by a couple handful people, but not more..
Which brings us back to post #71 - the millions of added goodies in the HON program would be a flawed investment .
Old Oct 30, 2008, 5:48 am

Programs: LH, SA, AA
Originally Posted by pokeshot
....., and we assigned me a seat up front.

Sounds to me as if you have quite a say onboard LX.

Last edited by capetonian; Oct 30, 2008 at 12:39 pm Reason: sp
Old Oct 30, 2008, 5:55 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Which brings us back to post #71 - the millions of added goodies in the HON program would be a flawed investment .
I fail to see your point. Adding goodies for the most loyal customers (aka HON) has nothing to do with the way, one is making () HON.

Of course, LH must give benefits for their loyal customers, so those loyal customers keep their daily business on LH metal. HON for example makes the difference of spending 12K EURO for a FRA-NRT roundtrip in F either on LH or NH or JAL. If I do this 8 times a year and always choose LH then LH better gives something back, which is the HON status and all the benefits.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 12:48 pm

Welcome to FT HombreDeLasNubes
So why did you not sign up as HONbreDeLasNubes, if I may ask ?
Nice one, Weero! I didn't think of that.

But then, I am not a very happy HON. So I wouldn't want to advertise HON Circle by using that name.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by SleepOverGreenland
If I do this 8 times a year and always choose LH then LH better gives something back, which is the HON status and all the benefits.

Exactly! And then it would be great if they also kept what they promise in their nice marketing brochures. I have been SEN for many years, but HON Circle has turned me from a loyal customer to a very dissatisfied one.

And the way LH cut benefits for SEN and HON by always telling people: Hey, that was an improvement!

Not funny, not funny at all...
Old Oct 31, 2008, 3:10 am

Exactly! And then it would be great if they also kept what they promise in their nice marketing brochures. I have been SEN for many years, but HON Circle has turned me from a loyal customer to a very dissatisfied one.

And the way LH cut benefits for SEN and HON by always telling people: Hey, that was an improvement!

Not funny, not funny at all...
you know, i think there is always room for improvements and depending on where one is based you may or may not experience benefits. certainly when flying out of or transferring through FRA, HON does bring its benefits, and i am sure you will only really appreciate them, once you have lost them again.
And in all fairness, I think we need to bring services glitches/failures to deliver upon a promise to the attention of LH. The worst enemy one could have is customers who turn grumpy and dissatisfied and complain to the audience that is eager to listen as opposed to the party that is at fault. I am not saying you have not done that, nor am I saying that one should not post bad experiences in these forums. This is merely a reminder to all (including myself), that really, as "obama-esque" this may sound, it is our own responsibility to make sure we hold LH to the standards they promise, by sharing good and bad with them.

and BTW....just plan on some extra time in FRA next time, have a bath at the FCT, smoke a Cigar even if you dont smoke, drink even if you dont drink, eat even if you dont want to and think about how -after all- privileged this is compared to the normal "madhouse", that FRA is....
Old Oct 31, 2008, 3:41 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Originally Posted by yapak2
nnd BTW....just plan on some extra time in FRA next time, have a bath at the FCT, smoke a Cigar even if you dont smoke, drink even if you dont drink, eat even if you dont want to and think about how -after all- privileged this is compared to the normal "madhouse", that FRA is....
What did you smoke today ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.