Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is HON worth to you?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2008, 10:45 am

Programs: LH MM
Originally Posted by SleepOverGreenland
It is always fun to me to read those calculations about how cheap one can get HON status.

Aside a few exceptions I believe, that most HONs just fly because they have to fly and don't really care about the price. They have to be somewhere at some time. Period. I think I never ever flew on a Z fare and even D (although guaranteed for me) is most often a no go due to number of nights to stay or whatever else restriction.

I think my ticket cost is about 75K to 100K p.a. and is good for about 700K HON miles in 2 years (after the 25% executive miles reduction). Since I am FRA based I do not collect feeder miles (aside a handful FRA-MUC, when rarely on a MUC longhaul) and I never do any HON run ( ) or would fly difficult routings just to fly cheaper or get more miles. ( )

I thought maximising miles and getting the most out of travel was the whole point of this board???
Old Oct 25, 2008, 11:00 am

Programs: too many
up to 2,000 Euro

... is what I am willing to spend to preserve my HONdom. Besides all the mentioned, for me it is for the HON Events: The Paris event alone was worth that, an awesome weekend to remember: Two nights in Paris Hilton , great entertainment, about the best food ever, and hey, it´s Paris!

Just not so sure if you can count on being invited, seems that many have not had that pleasure yet.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 12:37 pm

Programs: BAEC, M&L, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
How much of that was just for the "HON fun" and which of those places (in that frequency) would you have traveled to anyway (either leisure or business)?

Also, I think volta was talking about 35-40K per year (so two times) for HON and not in total. (is that what you meant?)
Correct, this per year, plus you can't get cheap Z fares out of US (don't count corporate discounts)
Old Oct 25, 2008, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by volta
you can't get cheap Z fares out of US
Incorrect.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 3:53 pm

Programs: LH and BA
Originally Posted by LH/LX
If LH offer HON for Euro 10K then in one month they will have more 40% of their M&M members purchase that exclusivity.

To acheive HON status especially for non eurpean residents it cost a MIN of Euro 35K to 40K in premium travel (I mean here Biz and First class travel) per year.
This was a theoretical question I presume - so my answer is the same - especially as I hadn't have to face it yet.

Overseas it takes roughly 45K for HON -- so the 10K would be above and beyond

I fly 70% F and probably 30% C - also privately - so considring i am flying F I would pay an Extra 10K for the gorund service and the support.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 2:47 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Lennart
I thought maximising miles and getting the most out of travel was the whole point of this board???
Yes.
For once I too did not understand what SOG was trying to say here. Other than that he has a really nice employer .

But what I got even less:
..I think I never ever flew on a Z fare and even D (although guaranteed for me) is most often a no go due to number of nights to stay or whatever else restriction..
So if the to be there is the be all and end all - why would you be so focused on the return restrictions?
Old Oct 26, 2008, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
How much of that was just for the "HON fun" and which of those places (in that frequency) would you have traveled to anyway (either leisure or business)?

Also, I think volta was talking about 35-40K per year (so two times) for HON and not in total. (is that what you meant?)
Basically all of the flights were of course required. (Some MRs last year for silly BA promos...collected 160k BA miles for BAH-DOH-BAH'ing in F...loophole now closed)
I need/want to be at certain places at certain times. In the past I was mixing and matching airlines for example to BKK. Last year I flew there multiple times with SQ, QR, TK, BA, LH & LX.

I then chose to bundle everything onto LH/LX, as I might as well go for HON instead of playing around with all these airlines...
Old Oct 26, 2008, 8:14 am

It is worth a lot to me , but only because I fly from and through FRA very frequently. The ground service and FCT would be tuff to do without , but only if you are a very frequent flyer.

I am with SOG to a certain point , I would not go to much out of my way to retain status , certainly not do " runs " .

To OP , if you have limited flights in coming years and not from/ through FRA
I would not spend the money.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 9:27 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, IHG Plat., former LH HON (now Silver), Bonvoy Titanium
I am also short of about 90k miles by the end of this calendar year and although I could ´make´it up during Janaury/February of 2009, I opt not to do so.
Searching for my flights for the first three months of 2009 yielded LH fares which were outright extorion in price compared to the competition. Consequently, I am not about to spend my company´s money, although I am ´ad lib´ to purchase such tickets, to enlighten my personal elite status at the expense of my company. In these economic trying times we are better advised to spend our air fares (and all other expenss, for that matter) as wisely and conservatively as possible but the fares I have received from the usual source have been completely out of line with what I would normally would consider acceptable.
As a result of this, I will stop contributing to the M&M program as of Janaury 1, 2009 and focus on another airline alliance, which really appreciates my abundant European travel as well as my ex US to Latin America, which otherwise bring absolutely nothing with M&M.
As a US resident, I am not about to book a flight to NRT through FRA from LAX to attain HON status, instead, I will fly LAX-NRT on a participating alliance partner and my mileage will be appreciated.
Getting HON status as a European resident is another thing, as a US resident it is another story. The latter will have to purchase and fly in a reckless manner, mostly on the expense of someone else to attain HON elite status. As a responsible person, I resent doing that and rather focus on my personal status in our society, in our community and the elite thought of working in a responsible manner to preserve economic growth for the companies we work for.
And, gone away have have the invitations for SEN for special events, usually around Christmas time, proving once more that SEN status is becoming less recognized by the LH company. So why go for even HON, to feed the greedy and needy?
As I sit here in a Santiago, Chile hotel, knowing that my return trip to LAX on Tuesday isn´t going to count one nudge towards HON makes me do other decisions, namely changing the alliance of airlines I will fly with in the future, in a responsible manner, be it 500,000 miles, like 2009, or 400,000 miles, as in 2007.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by IsleSeat
I am also short of about 90k miles by the end of this calendar year and although I could ´make´it up during Janaury/February of 2009, I opt not to do so.
Searching for my flights for the first three months of 2009 yielded LH fares which were outright extorion in price compared to the competition. Consequently, I am not about to spend my company´s money, although I am ´ad lib´ to purchase such tickets, to enlighten my personal elite status at the expense of my company. In these economic trying times we are better advised to spend our air fares (and all other expenss, for that matter) as wisely and conservatively as possible but the fares I have received from the usual source have been completely out of line with what I would normally would consider acceptable.
As a result of this, I will stop contributing to the M&M program as of Janaury 1, 2009 and focus on another airline alliance, which really appreciates my abundant European travel as well as my ex US to Latin America, which otherwise bring absolutely nothing with M&M.
As a US resident, I am not about to book a flight to NRT through FRA from LAX to attain HON status, instead, I will fly LAX-NRT on a participating alliance partner and my mileage will be appreciated.
Getting HON status as a European resident is another thing, as a US resident it is another story. The latter will have to purchase and fly in a reckless manner, mostly on the expense of someone else to attain HON elite status. As a responsible person, I resent doing that and rather focus on my personal status in our society, in our community and the elite thought of working in a responsible manner to preserve economic growth for the companies we work for.
And, gone away have have the invitations for SEN for special events, usually around Christmas time, proving once more that SEN status is becoming less recognized by the LH company. So why go for even HON, to feed the greedy and needy?
As I sit here in a Santiago, Chile hotel, knowing that my return trip to LAX on Tuesday isn´t going to count one nudge towards HON makes me do other decisions, namely changing the alliance of airlines I will fly with in the future, in a responsible manner, be it 500,000 miles, like 2009, or 400,000 miles, as in 2007.
Sounds like the sensible thing to do in your case. Probably having status in multiple alliances makes sense for you. I'd stay with LH SEN and then try to get (or retain) OW Emerald. BA Gold is the easiest to achieve if travelling primarily in premium cabins. (forget about Skyteam ... )
Old Oct 27, 2008, 5:27 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Originally Posted by weero
Yes.
For once I too did not understand what SOG was trying to say here. Other than that he has a really nice employer .
Right. And since I own 25% of the shares... thanks for the kind words.

Oh, and about the understanding of my post: I find it always funny to read discussion about the amount to spend to achieve HON status. I doubt, that more than a handful HONs really calculates that way. Many HONs get their status just due to their flying pattern. Some may be short towards the end of the qualification/requalification period. Those may or may not take an extra flight or two in order get/keep the status. But planning it from the very beginning and calculating it through? FOR WHAT?

Originally Posted by weero
But what I got even less:

So if the to be there is the be all and end all - why would you be so focused on the return restrictions?
Woult it sound better, when I say "to be there and to be back".
Old Oct 27, 2008, 9:13 am

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:
Right. And since I own 25% of the shares... thanks for the kind words.
OK, enjoy the kind words, alas with a 75% discount!
Oh, and about the understanding of my post: I find it always funny to read discussion about the amount to spend to achieve HON status. I doubt, that more than a handful HONs really calculates that way. Many HONs get their status just due to their flying pattern. Some may be short towards the end of the qualification/requalification period. Those may or may not take an extra flight or two in order get/keep the status. But planning it from the very beginning and calculating it through? FOR WHAT?
For HON @:-). And for love! In this forum, that is. Everybody loves you when you're HON. You are (thought to be) more informed! You're a role-model for everyone! You're the coolest guy alive! You're entitled to a fan-club full of groupies! When they grow up they wanna be like you! And those who can't, they just turn green from envy!!
Woult it sound better, when I say "to be there and to be back".
No, you need not. Because, once you're "there", then "here" becomes "there" . (Unless you are on an open-jaw of course ) After all "here" is just a "there" without a "t"@:-). So, this is one of the very few times I'm not with my friend weero (who normally is way more quick-witted than me )
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:54 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
@andre:

OMG.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:23 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by Hardy
UP TO 2,000 Euro ... is what I am willing to spend to preserve my HONdom. Besides all the mentioned, for me it is for the HON Events: The Paris event alone was worth that, an awesome weekend to remember: Two nights in Paris Hilton , great entertainment, about the best food ever, and hey, it´s Paris!
Com'n this is a very low price you will pay for the black card and all the priviligies you will get when you fly on LH and LX
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:34 am

Programs: too many...
[QUOTE=andre1970;10583877]For HON @:-). And for love! ... Everybody loves you when you're HON. You are (thought to be) more informed! You're a role-model for everyone! You're the coolest guy alive! You're entitled to a fan-club full of groupies! When they grow up they wanna be like you! And those who can't, they just turn green from envy!!

@andre: OMG.
I can understand Andre1970. Had a similar reaction once when a group of LH girlies on a party in Casablanca found out that I am a Hon. ^ I left the casa blanca, nevertheless...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.