Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is HON worth to you?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2008, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Bembel-Terrorist
That would not help, because he needs HON-Miles.
For FTL? :-). Was responding to neo16287's post.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 10:54 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Lack
Yep, we had a topic about this some time ago.
Conclusion - taking the positioning flight and hotel expenses into account it's cheaper to use the business saver fares on LX if those are available at one's destination, specially with limited free time available.
Well I might need some of those anyway, if I keep collecting as stingily with M&L as I did in 2007 .

Croatiaville might just offer some entertainment!
Old Oct 23, 2008, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by weero
Well I might need some of those anyway, if I keep collecting as stingily with M&L as I did in 2007 .

2007 I had just over 7k status miles with M&M
Old Oct 23, 2008, 6:01 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by roundtheworld
Euro 10,000.
If LH offer HON for Euro 10K then in one month they will have more 40% of their M&M members purchase that exclusivity.

To acheive HON status especially for non eurpean residents it cost a MIN of Euro 35K to 40K in premium travel (I mean here Biz and First class travel) per year.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 8:23 pm

Programs: BAEC, M&L, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by LH/LX
If LH offer HON for Euro 10K then in one month they will have more 40% of their M&M members purchase that exclusivity.

To acheive HON status especially for non eurpean residents it cost a MIN of Euro 35K to 40K in premium travel (I mean here Biz and First class travel) per year.
I think you are not quite right there. On a TATL trip, east coast, you get about 25k (average) to any European city (if you're continuing from FRA or MUC) or 30k from west coast in C. This makes you fly 10-12 times a year for 300k annual. You can't get that many flights in premium cabin for 35-40k from US.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 8:27 pm

Croatiaville is not a good place for you. There is no some entertainment. Dull place.

We are looking to keep tourists out of the country, especially ones that look for some entertainment

Or if they must come in, send them to few places where they will be ripped off with bad service. Presence of weero might help, based on his experience with LH.

Disclosure, although I am Mediterranean mutt, this mutt was born in Croatia
Old Oct 24, 2008, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by volta
Croatiaville is not a good place for you. There is no some entertainment. Dull place.

We are looking to keep tourists out of the country, especially ones that look for some entertainment

Or if they must come in, send them to few places where they will be ripped off with bad service. Presence of weero might help, based on his experience with LH.

Disclosure, although I am Mediterranean mutt, this mutt was born in Croatia
Really ?
But then it's all <1h in Domestic C ... so you are very likely right that there is no entertainment offered.

I shall bring Rambuster as IFE on that mileage run through Croisland - would that remedy the situation?
Old Oct 24, 2008, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really ?
But then it's all <1h in Domestic C ... so you are very likely right that there is no entertainment offered.

I shall bring Rambuster as IFE on that mileage run through Croisland - would that remedy the situation?
I thought you were going to be my IFE !?
Perhaps we should start a new thread: "The painful self-experiment in Croatian C" ?
Old Oct 24, 2008, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by Rambuster
I thought you were going to be my IFE !?
Perhaps we should start a new thread: "The painful self-experiment in Croatian C" ?
While blasphemous - that really addresses the original question "what is HON worth to you" !
Old Oct 24, 2008, 7:00 am

Croisland
Love this one. And it even fits shape wise
Old Oct 24, 2008, 7:05 am

"what is HON worth to you" !
maybe a ride on Croatia Airlines between inland and coast with weero and Rambuster as IFE
Old Oct 25, 2008, 2:58 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by volta
I think you are not quite right there. On a TATL trip, east coast, you get about 25k (average) to any European city (if you're continuing from FRA or MUC) or 30k from west coast in C. This makes you fly 10-12 times a year for 300k annual. You can't get that many flights in premium cabin for 35-40k from US.
Why? Book yourself in "Z" fares and you are in. They are usually 2-2,5K EUR per rt. You need to book early though, no flexibility. Same mileage accrual as D or C fares.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by supermasterphil
Why? Book yourself in "Z" fares and you are in. They are usually 2-2,5K EUR per rt. You need to book early though, no flexibility. Same mileage accrual as D or C fares.
or book the z-fare in some obscure Third World countries... Achieving HON will have cost me ca €40k, apart of course from getting me to where I want to go.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 6:51 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by Rambuster
or book the z-fare in some obscure Third World countries... Achieving HON will have cost me ca €40k, apart of course from getting me to where I want to go.
How much of that was just for the "HON fun" and which of those places (in that frequency) would you have traveled to anyway (either leisure or business)?

Also, I think volta was talking about 35-40K per year (so two times) for HON and not in total. (is that what you meant?)
Old Oct 25, 2008, 8:00 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
It is always fun to me to read those calculations about how cheap one can get HON status.

Aside a few exceptions I believe, that most HONs just fly because they have to fly and don't really care about the price. They have to be somewhere at some time. Period. I think I never ever flew on a Z fare and even D (although guaranteed for me) is most often a no go due to number of nights to stay or whatever else restriction.

I think my ticket cost is about 75K to 100K p.a. and is good for about 700K HON miles in 2 years (after the 25% executive miles reduction). Since I am FRA based I do not collect feeder miles (aside a handful FRA-MUC, when rarely on a MUC longhaul) and I never do any HON run ( ) or would fly difficult routings just to fly cheaper or get more miles. ( )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.