What is HON worth to you?

Old Apr 8, 19, 1:54 am
  #211  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 36,925
Originally Posted by MultiFlyer View Post
As you can earn only HON miles on LH group flights [...]
Nope, curiously JP/OU/LG/LO are still in the mix and the lucrative regional fares reside there
chris63 likes this.
oliver2002 is offline  
Old Apr 8, 19, 2:51 am
  #212  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, Marriott, HHonors etc.
Posts: 2,979
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
The best you can do is ~10 cents per HON Circle mile. So you are looking at a substantial out of pocket expense and an incredible waste of your time for minimal returns. I would rather buy F(A) tickets or upgrade C tickets to enjoy the F facilities once in a while when travelling to a place I want to go to.

PS: I'm 40+ and have a family. That probably tweaks my perception.
Same here. And the LH Group network limits where you can go, too, to get HON miles.

Have to travel to a number of places where the LH Group airlines do not fly to, such as Australia or New Zealand or Chile etc., and while I have reached 300.000 M&M status miles in a year before, I would never come close to 300.000 HON miles. Gives me a chance to experience other products, though.
chris63 and bowzer91 like this.
worldclubber is offline  
Old Apr 8, 19, 6:16 am
  #213  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Terceira Island
Programs: TP Gold, *G Star Alliance
Posts: 218
Originally Posted by Raul_R View Post
I am also going for HON this year, currently from 600 000 Hon miles around 470 000 will be after 1 week already under belt (278000 was from 2018, so lot of flying this year).

My statistics gives that very frankly 1 HON mile cost around 0,10 EUR
There are sometimes deals with (cheapest I find) around 0,05 EUR per mile, but that is rare and quite uncomfortable (at least for me).

Lot of tariffs require more, like 0,12-0,17 EUR per mile, but median for me around 0,10 EUR.
And yes, frankly it is A and D class bookings only.

I do not pure mileage run, but adjust my travel pattern for that need (trying not to fly direct if possible have transfers).
It is quite fun to see the check-in lady face when she realize that I want to fly not WAW-PRG, but WAW-FRA-MUC-PRG.
Usually there is no big price difference, but for me the difference is 5000 miles.
And I have that time and actually like flying (but yes, the NEK is bad).

As Chris63 wrote -- there is lot of calculations.
Should I fly only most comfortable and/or cheapest premium products, the median cost of 1 HON mile might be around 0,20 EUR I guess
Great info, my back of the envelope calculations were around 0,08Ä/HON Mile, so I was not off by a ton.
milfweed20 is offline  
Old Apr 8, 19, 6:17 am
  #214  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Terceira Island
Programs: TP Gold, *G Star Alliance
Posts: 218
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
The best you can do is ~10 cents per HON Circle mile. So you are looking at a substantial out of pocket expense and an incredible waste of your time for minimal returns. I would rather buy F(A) tickets or upgrade C tickets to enjoy the F facilities once in a while when travelling to a place I want to go to.

PS: I'm 40+ and have a family. That probably tweaks my perception.
Have to agree with you. It is much more comfortable to simply buy F fares and enjoy almost the same benefits as I have the flexibility to play around with the dates of my travel.
bowzer91 likes this.
milfweed20 is offline  
Old Apr 8, 19, 7:48 am
  #215  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: London
Programs: LH HON
Posts: 747
I often wonder whether I'm inconveniencing myself too much in not even taking direct flights with competitor airlines in order to make HON. That position could definitely change when I have kids...

Also, since there's rampant devaluation in FFP's, I wonder if there is value with loyalty to a particular airline. I think LH group is the better of the airlines out there, since there aren't a zillion credit cards out there offering hundreds of thousands of free points (unlike Avios, Krisflyer, Aeroplan, etc). It's actually fairly difficult to amass significant points on M&M without actually flying (even if the M&M BarclaysCard is churnable).

One thing I do find valuable about HON is that if I'm doing an EU flight and connecting through FRA/MUC/ZRH/GVA/VIE, being an HON is hugely valuable in case the connection is tight or if there is a long layover. There is simply no other way to access the lounges, which are excellent (unless you have an FCL voucher). I don't think there's any way to get comparable service unless you buy VIP service outright, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you'll get good service in tight connections (I understand LH/LX will sometimes hold flights to wait for an arriving HON).

Just my thoughts. I'm about 130k HON miles away and if I make it I'll report back on whether I thought it was worth it.
4004 likes this.
sophialite is online now  
Old Apr 8, 19, 7:57 am
  #216  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,995
With very nice food and drink served in the FCL's you need to ask yourself if you really want to get fat and potentially an alky!

It will be very hard to tear yourself away from the HON lounges if you have gone out of your way to manufacture status because one of the biggest benefits is the F&B. If HON is just a consequence of your work travel then you're far less likely to feel obliged to partake in the libations and can moderate yourself. Plus you'll have been flying F anyway to get the status. Like all airline status, its real value is when you don't fly the cabin that grants those privileges, so J and Y.

Of course, the amount of fatties I see in even the SEN lounge, obesity and alcoholism are obviously not a problem for many . And to be fair, the alcoholism is much more of a BArb induced issue than in Helga's cabins.
hugolover is offline  
Old Apr 8, 19, 8:20 am
  #217  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: London
Programs: LH HON
Posts: 747
Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
With very nice food and drink served in the FCL's you need to ask yourself if you really want to get fat and potentially an alky!

It will be very hard to tear yourself away from the HON lounges if you have gone out of your way to manufacture status because one of the biggest benefits is the F&B. If HON is just a consequence of your work travel then you're far less likely to feel obliged to partake in the libations and can moderate yourself. Plus you'll have been flying F anyway to get the status. Like all airline status, its real value is when you don't fly the cabin that grants those privileges, so J and Y.

Of course, the amount of fatties I see in even the SEN lounge, obesity and alcoholism are obviously not a problem for many . And to be fair, the alcoholism is much more of a BArb induced issue than in Helga's cabins.
LOL right on. I always see a high quantity of unhealthily overweight people in both lounges. Just because the food and drink are there, doesn't mean you have to consume it!
sophialite is online now  
Old Apr 8, 19, 8:42 am
  #218  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Terceira Island
Programs: TP Gold, *G Star Alliance
Posts: 218
Originally Posted by sophialite View Post
I often wonder whether I'm inconveniencing myself too much in not even taking direct flights with competitor airlines in order to make HON. That position could definitely change when I have kids...

Also, since there's rampant devaluation in FFP's, I wonder if there is value with loyalty to a particular airline. I think LH group is the better of the airlines out there, since there aren't a zillion credit cards out there offering hundreds of thousands of free points (unlike Avios, Krisflyer, Aeroplan, etc). It's actually fairly difficult to amass significant points on M&M without actually flying (even if the M&M BarclaysCard is churnable).

One thing I do find valuable about HON is that if I'm doing an EU flight and connecting through FRA/MUC/ZRH/GVA/VIE, being an HON is hugely valuable in case the connection is tight or if there is a long layover. There is simply no other way to access the lounges, which are excellent (unless you have an FCL voucher). I don't think there's any way to get comparable service unless you buy VIP service outright, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you'll get good service in tight connections (I understand LH/LX will sometimes hold flights to wait for an arriving HON).

Just my thoughts. I'm about 130k HON miles away and if I make it I'll report back on whether I thought it was worth it.
Really hope you can make it, good luck!
milfweed20 is offline  
Old Apr 8, 19, 8:43 am
  #219  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Terceira Island
Programs: TP Gold, *G Star Alliance
Posts: 218
Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
With very nice food and drink served in the FCL's you need to ask yourself if you really want to get fat and potentially an alky!

It will be very hard to tear yourself away from the HON lounges if you have gone out of your way to manufacture status because one of the biggest benefits is the F&B. If HON is just a consequence of your work travel then you're far less likely to feel obliged to partake in the libations and can moderate yourself. Plus you'll have been flying F anyway to get the status. Like all airline status, its real value is when you don't fly the cabin that grants those privileges, so J and Y.

Of course, the amount of fatties I see in even the SEN lounge, obesity and alcoholism are obviously not a problem for many . And to be fair, the alcoholism is much more of a BArb induced issue than in Helga's cabins.
Clearly the next addition to the FCT and FCL should be a fitness centre. LOL
milfweed20 is offline  
Old Apr 8, 19, 9:01 am
  #220  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Terceira Island
Programs: TP Gold, *G Star Alliance
Posts: 218
Guys from your experience, how likely is a HON member to be upgraded from a Y to J in short and long-haul and from J to F?
milfweed20 is offline  
Old Apr 8, 19, 9:04 am
  #221  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 3,618
Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
With very nice food and drink served in the FCL's you need to ask yourself if you really want to get fat and potentially an alky!
.
Life choices which have absolutely nothing to do with reaching for HON as a HON for many years I donít starve myself and then just GO for it in the FCLís
chris63 is offline  
Old Apr 8, 19, 9:07 am
  #222  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 3,618
Originally Posted by milfweed20 View Post
Guys from your experience, how likely is a HON member to be upgraded from a Y to J in short and long-haul and from J to F?
HONís ought to be top of the upgrade list but if your ever in WhY you wonít get HON miles to qualify or requalify
milfweed20 likes this.
chris63 is offline  
Old Apr 8, 19, 9:12 am
  #223  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 3,618
Originally Posted by milfweed20 View Post
Clearly the next addition to the FCT and FCL should be a fitness centre. LOL
No,
LH already thought of that with the distances between arrival gates & lounges, and they worked so hard on this at FRA, you already did your workout
Gino Troian, 4004 and milfweed20 like this.
chris63 is offline  
Old Apr 8, 19, 9:47 am
  #224  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Terceira Island
Programs: TP Gold, *G Star Alliance
Posts: 218
Originally Posted by chris63 View Post


HONís ought to be top of the upgrade list but if your ever in WhY you wonít get HON miles to qualify or requalify
Yes, I understand that nobody who is serious about getting HON will ever book anything besides J or F, but let's assume hypothetically that a HON member had a Y flight, what I was trying to understand is if LH would proactively upgrade HON members even if there was no overbooking in Y?
milfweed20 is offline  
Old Apr 8, 19, 10:01 am
  #225  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: London
Programs: LH HON
Posts: 747
Thatís a pretty silly generalization. I fly Y if the fare difference between that and business is egregious. With seat blocking the only difference between the two experiences is you sit further up in a cabin? How much would you be willing to pay for that and some pitiful amount of HON miles? $100? $200?

I probably draw the line at $150 but even that feels absurd.
sophialite is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread