Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is HON worth to you?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: LH -- HON Circle **, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, 1865 Voyager
Originally Posted by worldclubber

Habe been trying to find travel insurance in Germany to cover things like traffic jams or flat tires on the way to the airport, and sadly have not (yet) been able to find one.
I do not know about Germany.
But my travel insurance which I have with my Amex Plat card did cover the costs, when I did not reach TLV airport due traffic.
Actually only equation asked was when I did start driving.
As that was OK by normal traffic conditions I just got money on my account in 5 days.
Was something around 500 €
chris63 and worldclubber like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by chris63

I agree, a no brainier for your business & mine but I have come across seemingly ‘brainless’ things from LH, it’s a huge organisation.

LH IT is a complete joke.

Certainly they get most aspects of HON Circle right with a dedicated team & instructions from the Top to take care of us, their attitude yesterday was spot on, not just the help provided.

i have travel insurance anyway for such occasions but they saved me the time & effort of claiming on that !
I hear you about LH IT generally and agree.

I think when it comes to the LH people and the IT systems that support HON and F, they are very good.
chris63 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Raul_R
I do not know about Germany.
But my travel insurance which I have with my Amex Plat card did cover the costs, when I did not reach TLV airport due traffic.
Actually only equation asked was when I did start driving.
As that was OK by normal traffic conditions I just got money on my account in 5 days.
Was something around 500 €
Yes, since I paid for my flights with my AMEX Plat card it would also have provided cover but it’s easy to obtain comprehensive travel inursance in the U.K. & since I travel too much it’s good value ^

Your correct that the standard terms of travel insurance include being able to demonstrate you acted responsibly & left for the airport at the appropriate time.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:14 am

LH’s business class is a solid product, but the 2-2-2 seating wasn’t made for single business travelers. But the new business class is starting next year. So as long as LH keeps on having all other advantages, there won’t many better products on the market. And full-integrated carriers, like OS and especially LX, already offer excellent business class products.

But the main benefit of all M&M tier levels is earning award miles by other actions than flying. If you have high spendings anyway, it”s easy to earn some hundred thousands award miles every year by paying, shopping, sleeping, renting, reading etc. If you use them for F companion awards and use your evouchers to upgrade from P to O, the drawback of high taxes on award tickets shouldn’t bother you.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Yes, since I paid for my flights with my AMEX Plat card it would also have provided cover but it’s easy to obtain comprehensive travel inursance in the U.K. & since I travel too much it’s good value ^
Thank to both of you. Iwill look into this. When I pay for the flights with my LH SEN card, I am not protected, and haven’t found additional insurance to offer that protection.
chris63 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: TP Gold, *G Star Alliance
Most cost efficient way of reaching HON

Hey guys,

I would like to know in your opinion what is the most cost-efficient way of reaching HON circle nowadays for someone with no status with LH.

Should the strategy be mainly based in flying 7-8 RT in F due to very good deals we have been seeing ex-EU to Asia and South America or should it be mixed with some long-haul J flights? Also how likely is it to be done with intra-Europe flying?

Would also like to hear what are your estimates on how much would it cost doing it the most efficient way (the only specific I could find on the subject was from 2012).

PS: Please don't flame the curiosity of a future HON Circle member!
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cheapest is on the best A class fares as you suggest, added benefit your flying F already & therefore receiving many of the HON benefits such as lounge access & better irrops handling.
Only way in J Intra EU is D Class & that’s not cheap apart from a few obscure routes around the Balkans. Doing it in D Class is a lot of flying NEK

As to cost it’s a simple multiplication of those A deals
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: TP Gold, *G Star Alliance
Cheapest is on the best A class fares as you suggest, added benefit your flying F already & therefore receiving many of the HON benefits such as lounge access & better irrops handling.
Only way in J Intra EU is D Class & that’s not cheap apart from a few obscure routes around the Balkans. Doing it in D Class is a lot of flying NEK

As to cost it’s a simple multiplication of those A deals
Thank you chris63 for the input! May I ask if you have to do a lot of mileage runs in order to qualify to HON or if you have achieved the status in work-related travel?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by milfweed20
Thank you chris63 for the input! May I ask if you have to do a lot of mileage runs in order to qualify to HON or if you have achieved the status in work-related travel?
Most HON members qualify because of their travel patterns alone; a few have to pad their accounts on the odd years with a mileage run or two. Given the current mileage earning table at M&M, it just isn't cost-effective to qualify for HON on mileage runs alone (remember: time is money). As a consequence, frequent flyers such as chris63 appreciate the fact that the FCLs/FCT are rarely crowded.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I need to travel & made the choice to stick with one primary programme, which enabled me to make HON. Had I just bought the cheapest premium products at the time of travel & route I would not have made a top tier, it’s all a calculation.
bowzer91 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mmff
Most HON members qualify because of their travel patterns alone; a few have to pad their accounts on the odd years with a mileage run or two. Given the current mileage earning table at M&M, it just isn't cost-effective to qualify for HON on mileage runs alone (remember: time is money). As a consequence, frequent flyers such as chris63 appreciate the fact that the FCLs/FCT are rarely crowded.
Indeed & LH / LX First Class facilitates are much appreciated
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:05 am

Programs: LH -- HON Circle **, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, 1865 Voyager
I am also going for HON this year, currently from 600 000 Hon miles around 470 000 will be after 1 week already under belt (278000 was from 2018, so lot of flying this year).

My statistics gives that very frankly 1 HON mile cost around 0,10 EUR
There are sometimes deals with (cheapest I find) around 0,05 EUR per mile, but that is rare and quite uncomfortable (at least for me).

Lot of tariffs require more, like 0,12-0,17 EUR per mile, but median for me around 0,10 EUR.
And yes, frankly it is A and D class bookings only.

I do not pure mileage run, but adjust my travel pattern for that need (trying not to fly direct if possible have transfers).
It is quite fun to see the check-in lady face when she realize that I want to fly not WAW-PRG, but WAW-FRA-MUC-PRG.
Usually there is no big price difference, but for me the difference is 5000 miles.
And I have that time and actually like flying (but yes, the NEK is bad).

As Chris63 wrote -- there is lot of calculations.
Should I fly only most comfortable and/or cheapest premium products, the median cost of 1 HON mile might be around 0,20 EUR I guess
travelben and chris63 like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:23 am

Programs: LH HON
To maintain HON, I also book routings that don't make a lot of sense if "time" is a super big issue. So instead of going for the cheapest J or F fare from HKG to EU (mostly: MEA), I book a flight from HKT or MNL via HKG on LH/LX that requires a positioning flight. This pushes down the airfare significantly compared to the (ludicrous) non-stop fares to MUC or ZRH and nets HON miles
chris63 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:34 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The best you can do is ~10 cents per HON Circle mile. So you are looking at a substantial out of pocket expense and an incredible waste of your time for minimal returns. I would rather buy F(A) tickets or upgrade C tickets to enjoy the F facilities once in a while when travelling to a place I want to go to.

PS: I'm 40+ and have a family. That probably tweaks my perception.
totti, chris63, whiskey_sk and 7 others like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:47 am

Should the strategy be mainly based in flying 7-8 RT in F due to very good deals we have been seeing ex-EU to Asia and South America or should it be mixed with some long-haul J flights? Also how likely is it to be done with intra-Europe flying?

Would also like to hear what are your estimates on how much would it cost doing it the most efficient way (the only specific I could find on the subject was from 2012).
As you can earn only HON miles on LH group flights the 7-8 RT, especially to Asia, will not be enought to get the 600000 HON miles.

I think the most cost efficient (but also most time consuming) strategy are the 10k flights in Europe for EUR 500,- or below. (so EUR 0,05 or lower per mile)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.