Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is HON worth to you?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2016, 1:38 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
More musings here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...run-worth.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...fused-hon.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...th-hassle.html

Bottom line is if you are based in Germany/CH/AT and have to fly LH/LX/OS very very frequently and are hence exposed to a number of inconveniences mostly by the laws of statistics, HON is very useful. As UA 1K you are just another *G in between FTLs and SENs.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 4:48 am

Programs: HON**
Hi All,

Thanks for the comments, especially the links to the other HON tales of woe. Same story in each case!

It really seems like LH have lost the plot taking high revenue customers and messing it up so badly trying to trim corners.
I think that sticking with LH to get SEN and the standard priority access in DE airports has a use but spreading out to use OneWorld via BA may be a better way forward. It seems that BA are pretty poor at status matching though!
Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
It all looks really dire to me, to be honest. If there was just a more plausible European network and something serious towards and within the United States then I would go for Etihad Partners, nothing more to say. But airberlin and Alitalia can only get you so far. I think the whole alliance thing is pretty weak these days. For me, the only thing that works consistently well is Sky Priority in Skyteam.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Spire RA
Originally Posted by biffothebear
Hi All,

Thanks for the comments, especially the links to the other HON tales of woe. Same story in each case!

It really seems like LH have lost the plot taking high revenue customers and messing it up so badly trying to trim corners.
I think that sticking with LH to get SEN and the standard priority access in DE airports has a use but spreading out to use OneWorld via BA may be a better way forward. It seems that BA are pretty poor at status matching though!
when you are considering BA as an alternative, it seems that you haven't used them that much and experienced LHR connections and / or the subpar onboard product.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 3:29 pm
hcl

If your concern is lounge access then forget SEN and save 100k miles. Enroll for A3 (miles and bonus) or TK (miles and smiles) and you will access the same "wonderful" star gold lounge with senators. Priority, IMHO, is a joke.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 10:34 pm

Fly LX
Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:33 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Hi All,

I have had HON status for some time, and whilst it sounds a little like a spoilt child I am simply tired of Lufthansa and their total lack of loyalty.
I run at around 700k HON miles/2yrs, 90% of them are to/from Asia (via China/Japan). When I do try to burn some reward miles I end up with "tax charges" that involve more cash than buying the same class on other airlines! The benefits get slimmer and slimmer, the FCT is nice but I only "see" it on the outbound. There is no F welcome lounge in FRA/MUC, and the LH partner lounges often leave a lot to be desired.

So what do I do? I'm unwilling to take the hit and drop to base level so would need a match programme, which programme is the "best" one, or should I just take status on as many as possible with a simple focus on ticket price?

I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Depends a bit what angle of the question you are looking at.

Is HON an attractive program? For all intents and purposes, more so than what any other European carrier has to offer. Whether what it offers matters to you is something only you can answer. Personally I appreciate the relatively good IRROPS handling, access to the FCLs/FCT and the easier transfers thanks to that, guaranteed award seats, the shortcuts at security or immigration that exist in some airports, and the interest LX takes. There are some things which I find offensive (no free piece of luggage or seat selection for some fares), and many things I don't care about.

If the question is whether you shouldn't rather fly another airline even if that means losing HON then I and many here agree with you that there are better airlines out there. Certainly not British Airways, but if you can be on one of the new configuration Air France longhauls then that plus the *extremely* improved operations on the ground and all around make them probably the best longhaul product in Europe currently - with a big but, as (too) many of their longhaul planes still have the old config. They also have a decent network to Asia. Other than that, you'd be with the Asian carriers, which I don't know enough about. If for instance you can get an easy way to Oneworld Emerald you could concentrate your flying on Cathay and JAL, they are or at least seem to be very decent.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by hcl
If your concern is lounge access then forget SEN and save 100k miles. Enroll for A3 (miles and bonus) or TK (miles and smiles) and you will access the same "wonderful" star gold lounge with senators. Priority, IMHO, is a joke.
SEN gets family access, which is quite nice if you can/want to use it.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by boekel
when you are considering BA as an alternative, it seems that you haven't used them that much and experienced LHR connections and / or the subpar onboard product.
I beg to differ. T5-T5 connections are very easy.
BA C still beats LH C any day of the year.
Only LH F (and F ground experience) is much better.

1500 BA Tier Points are quite easy to get with the OPs flying pattern.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 7:43 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by Rambuster
I beg to differ. T5-T5 connections are very easy.
BA C still beats LH C any day of the year.
Only LH F (and F ground experience) is much better.

1500 BA Tier Points are quite easy to get with the OPs flying pattern.
The unnecessary mandatory security screenings when connecting at T5 are one of the bigger reasons I avoid BA.

Can't really comment on business (I've only flown LH C, which was pretty good - admittedly not hugely private seating, but that wasn't a big detractor). But Y is much better on LH. Some of BA's planes are pretty decrepit, and the 787 is a torture chamber. (LX's 777 is the same, but easier to avoid.)
Old Oct 7, 2016, 7:51 am

As the OP is flying 90% to China & Japan, to use BA would add at least 4 hours to the journey and the risk of getting stuck in LHR. I think BA is only worth it if they fly direct to a destination that is not available from Frankfurt (Chengdu?).

However there are plenty of airlines flying eastward from FRA to Asia/Japan and I would recommend the OP try them (including the ME3). If in C or F, I'm not sure status makes that much difference in the air. Maybe you would learn to love [the IMO not exciting but consistent] LH service again!
Old Oct 7, 2016, 7:54 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by 8420PR
However there are plenty of airlines flying eastward from FRA to Asia/Japan and I would recommend the OP try them (including the ME3).
ME3 add 6-7 hours travel time to N/East Asia. QR has killer short connections that somewhat lessen the pain, EK usually only offer 3 hours. Price is no longer a big differentiator, so you end up sitting around for 6-8 hours more each way, which gets stale very fast. No amount of dom or krug will compensate for that.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite+ - Marriott Rewards Gold - Hertz 5 Stars
why not to consider Singapore Airlines? they have PPS club for high revenue members. the service is excellent and as you fly mostly to Asia, it could be a good opportunity to fly with them as well, and not only to get LH.
being still part of star alliance, while you acquire the top tier status you could still get the gold benefits from M&M.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by SMK77
..I put 150K miles on UA this year and received 8 international upgrades...
8 intl. upgrade certificates ... not actual upgrades.

In 2015 6 out of my total of 6 certs went to waste because they did not clear.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 12:32 pm

Don't quite get OP's point.
FCT is a lounge like many others , maybe just a bit better.
Not an expert in mileage tickets , but seems to me like taxes are not LH's doing.
And upset because there is no F welcome / arrivals lounge in FRA / MUC , which OP would not use anyway as he wants to get out as soon as possible.

Is HON worth it ? If you fly enough you will be a HON , or similar on other airline if they have that level tier. If you chase the most economical ticket every time, chances are you will not be anybody anywhere 😁

My main disappointment with LH is their cut back on F to many destinations . And with a mediocre business class at best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.