Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is HON worth to you?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2015, 2:31 am

HON run worth it?

I know 4 HONs (me included) who do not fly for their jobs. Only private travels.
So, as we say in german: "Jedem Tierchen sein Plaisirchen."
Old Aug 24, 2015, 2:44 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
I can think of one (non-LH) specific counter-example, that being if you have a mountain of Avios but can never find the redemption space you need, achieving BA GGL would get you Jokers so you can open up the redemption space you need (for up to 5 people).
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
I think SEN (and obviously HON by extension) has something similar-ish? I think I read about getting award for 50% extra even if regular award space is unavailable.
SEN/HON have 50% companion awards and can request awards where others can't book.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 3:32 am

In any case, you should still consider if it wouldn't be cheaper to book revenue flights instead of becoming BA GGL just for the sake of being able to use Avios on preferred routing...
Of course you should (EDIT: but everyone always does that, whether M&M or any other scheme, right? )

However, let's say you're determined to fly a family of five in BA F to and from SYD to burn your Avios, you're almost certainly going to need that GGL to open the redemption seats. ex-LON cash fares on BA are going to be somewhat eye-watering.

Last edited by shorthauldad; Aug 24, 2015 at 3:42 am
Old Aug 24, 2015, 4:01 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
True, but I find it hard to believe you'd be able to amass enough avios to pay for 5 F awards across the world without attaining the status.

nevertheless, we should leave this OT be.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 5:16 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
True, but I find it hard to believe you'd be able to amass enough avios to pay for 5 F awards across the world without attaining the status.

Avios don't have an expiry date like LH award miles. You can pile them up for your lifetime regardless if you are Blue, Silver, Gold member.....

The only requirement is ONE transaction on your BA account every XX months (every 36 months I think).
Old Aug 24, 2015, 5:53 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN

I hardly get that many miles thru flying. The SEN status is attained to leverage miles earned via payback, CC, magazines etc.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
I hardly get that many miles thru flying. The SEN status is attained to leverage miles earned via payback, CC, magazines etc.
Agreed, it's a beginners' mistake to think that there is any link between having lots of FF miles and flying a lot (on cash fares, at least...)

The airlines would far rather sell their miles to credit card companies or third parties (Payback & co) rather than "give them away" with the tickets you buy for air travel.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 6:59 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Ah - well and fair point.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: HON**
Is HON worth it?

Hi All,

I have had HON status for some time, and whilst it sounds a little like a spoilt child I am simply tired of Lufthansa and their total lack of loyalty.
I run at around 700k HON miles/2yrs, 90% of them are to/from Asia (via China/Japan). When I do try to burn some reward miles I end up with "tax charges" that involve more cash than buying the same class on other airlines! The benefits get slimmer and slimmer, the FCT is nice but I only "see" it on the outbound. There is no F welcome lounge in FRA/MUC, and the LH partner lounges often leave a lot to be desired.

So what do I do? I'm unwilling to take the hit and drop to base level so would need a match programme, which programme is the "best" one, or should I just take status on as many as possible with a simple focus on ticket price?

I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Old Oct 5, 2016, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by biffothebear
There is no F welcome lounge in FRA/MUC...
Eh, why don't you go to one of the FCLs on arrival in FRA/MUC ?
Old Oct 5, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: HON**
Once you are through immigration and get your bag for a change of clothes then you're out!
But this is really a minor thing, its more about the disinterest that LH have. They seem to have lost their way, behave like a budget, charge like a flag carrier...
Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:20 am

What are your other options route/network wise?
Couple nice T3-T5 transfers in LHR and you'll miss FRAport.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:51 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
You could collect on UA, get 1k, lots of upgrade vouchers, 100% bonus miles and almost no fees when redeeming flights -- and continue flying LH.

HTB.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by htb
You could collect on UA, get 1k, lots of upgrade vouchers, 100% bonus miles and almost no fees when redeeming flights -- and continue flying LH.

HTB.
I second this. If you fly in P and Z neither HON nor UA 1K would get you any upgrades but when you fly 300,000 miles a year in Business in D, C and J you have a different outcome:

HON gets you 3 international upgrades every two years (6 eVoucher) while UA would get you 14 international upgrades year 1 and 14 international upgrades year 2 (6 GPU for the first 100K and 2 for every additional 50K).

I put 150K miles on UA this year and received 8 international upgrades. As a SEN I have one international upgrade every two years...

You can use GPU on UA, LH and NH.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 12:04 am

Programs: OKplus, M&M, SASEurobonus, Goldpoints, Priority Club, HH & more
Btw - when switching from M&M to UA, is it possible to use HON benefits? I.e. is it possible to go to FCL by presenting to the agent the HON card, even if the card used for checkin is UA card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.