FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   bag drop @ LHR - not possible 3 hours prior to flight ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/876000-bag-drop-lhr-not-possible-3-hours-prior-flight.html)

f0zzyNUE Oct 14, 2008 10:53 am

bag drop @ LHR - not possible 3 hours prior to flight ?

hi there,

i arrived from the rolleyes-do at around 14:00 in LHR. my next flight is LH 4763 to MUC departing at 20:10. i went from T5 to T2 and wanted to drop my bags and go to the city for a couple of hours.
BUT i wasnot allowed to drop my bags. :td::td::td: they said only 3 hours prior to departure they accept bags, because otherwise they could mix up bags for their flights to MUC. i can't quite believe this explanation since i could have checked my bags through from SFO and i would have been fine...
is this a normal procedure on all LH stations or is this a LHR specific one - i just want to avoid these kind of situations in the future?

cheers from LHR
CHris

natureofnorway Oct 14, 2008 11:01 am

I had the exact same experience once when i arrived early at LHR for a flight to Oslo in BA C-class.....Would not accept my bag until less than 3 hours to departure. No reasons given :td:
Maybe it is LHR specific?

NoN

weero Oct 14, 2008 11:25 am

Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE (Post 10518608)
..they said only 3 hours prior to departure they accept bags, because otherwise they could mix up bags for their flights to MUC..

Sorry to hear that.

Definitely an LHR thingie - I was turned down twice @ LHR. Once with the excuse that the airport is too small to hold all the luggage of the passengers who check in too early (I kid you not, the rent-a-CSR @ LHR indeed said that). The second time, it was already the terror issue. If they allowed that, terrorists could check-in luggage early too ... can't argue that logic ... I mean they could...

Add to this that this piece of rubble also doesn't provide any lockers and you can enjoy the true stress-free environment at LHR :rolleyes: ...

NewbieRunner Oct 14, 2008 12:04 pm

Avoid LHR at all costs! :td: And wait until next year when LH move to T1 to share the delightful *A lounge with the riffraffs who congregate there :eek:.

szg Oct 14, 2008 12:44 pm

Also, never heard about this policy at LHR.

Have a good onward flight. SFO-MUC was 30 minutes earlier today. ^

Dong Oct 14, 2008 1:22 pm

Had the same problem last time.
But I left my luggage at the luggage room at the left end of the hall.
It wasn't cheap but much better than spending the whole time at
this great airport taking care of my luggage.

ayeleswarapu Oct 14, 2008 2:38 pm

If I remember correctly, if you are a J or F class passenger, I believe you get a discount or something like that at the luggage room.

caipiroska Oct 14, 2008 8:25 pm

see below

caipiroska Oct 14, 2008 8:36 pm

The same things happened to me in TXL, was only allowed to check in my bags to HKG (via MUC) 2 hours before departure. Seems to be airport specific.

szg Oct 14, 2008 9:50 pm

It is airport specific, because I had the 3 hour rule at MXP once.

weero Oct 14, 2008 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by szg (Post 10519237)
Also, never heard about this policy at LHR..

What do you mean with 'also' szg :confused:? Everyone else ran into that issue with LHR ;) .

Markie Oct 14, 2008 10:47 pm

BA will accept bags at T5 as far in advance as you wish - well on the same day to be fair.

f0zzyNUE Oct 15, 2008 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Markie (Post 10522047)
BA will accept bags at T5 as far in advance as you wish - well on the same day to be fair.

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 10518992)
Avoid LHR at all costs! :td:

at least when flying *A. T5 is a breeze when flying on BA. i like LHR T5 as much as ZRH and MUC.

German-FLyer Oct 15, 2008 1:24 am

Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE (Post 10522160)
T5 is a breeze when flying on BA.

Yup, but there is a huge disadvantage to BA: I can't earn HON miles with them :D

Had the same issue at LHR, no bag drop until 3 hours before the flight. Thank God we can take a second carry-on again, the strict one carry-on rule was a real pain.

NewbieRunner Oct 15, 2008 1:49 am

Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE (Post 10522160)
T5 is a breeze when flying on BA. i like LHR T5 as much as ZRH and MUC.

I forgot that LHR is a BAAirport :eek:.