Brussels airlines to be bought by Lufthansa

Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR platinum
Brussels airlines to be bought by Lufthansa

According to several newspapers Lufthansa would be interested in buying 45% of SN airholding with an option to buy the remaining 55% after 2 years...

in dutch:...
http://www.tijd.be/nieuws/ondernemin...963266-434.art

also official on Lufthansa site:

http://konzern.lufthansa.com/en/html...08/852/HOM&s=0
Old Aug 28, 2008, 10:47 am
e20

Programs: United 1K 1MM, HHonor ex-Gold, IC ex-Plat.
Yes!

Eventually, SN will join a global alliance (and my preferred one!)

Great for FF: lounge access, priority queues easier connections :-)
Old Aug 28, 2008, 1:14 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold, SPG platinum
Good news indeed for Belgian!

This is indeed great news!

I am SEN on M&M but nowadays, I fly mostly on European flights. If you want to accumulate miles on LH, you automatically need to connect via FRA/MUC or another major German airport which makes the trip very long (but you accrue more miles).

I really hope the integration on *A or M&M will be quick!
Old Sep 6, 2008, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR platinum
2 more interested ...

Britsh Airways : http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle4687132.ece

also in the belgian press: Haenian Airlines
Old Sep 6, 2008, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Yet another *A member. Anyway SN has some good routes to North Africa.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 4:37 am

Programs: LH, United, Hyatt, Air France
Can't wait that Lufthansa brings some real managers...The current managers have completely neglected the business travellers/FF. Just have a look at the Brussels Airlines lounges in their home base...and you will understand the picture. I am sure that the manager who has decided to remove the flowers and the red candy received the 'manager of the month of Brussels Airlines" award !
Old Sep 15, 2008, 1:27 am

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
just a quick update - not sure if this is news to anyone other than me

another site

http://www.luchtzak.be/forums/viewto...7823&start=120

has this extract from a mail to SN employees

Viscount Etienne Davignon, Chairman of the Board of SN Airholding, invites you to a staff meeting. In the presence of Mr. Wolfgang Mayrhuber, CEO of the Lufthansa Group, he will share with you some information regarding the earlier announcement of Lufthansa and Brussels Airlines.
This info meeting will take place in the b.house restaurant on Monday, 15 September from 15:15 to 16:00.
On Friday 19 september, our Managing Directors Michel Meyfroidt and Bernard Gustin invite you all at 13:45 in the reception area of b.house. They will further elaborate with you in an informal way on the Brussels Airlines & Lufthansa topic.

Please note that a press conference will follow immediately after the staff meeting in the b.house reception area.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 11:16 am

Programs: SAS, Lufthansa
Three supersized airlines to dominate European business travel will be Air France+KLM, British Airways and Lufthansa. Each is going to eat up the small fish and have some indigestion from doing that after a while.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 11:50 am

Programs: Ryanair PLATINUM : ) TK GOLD, AZ Gold, Radisson - gold,Marriott - gold
merger LH SN

there are plenty pros and cons

i personally think that there will be fewer and fewer airlines that will get you OW tickets and this will be one of the very few benefits of Privilege Programme that we will lose in MM

hopefully the new MM programme will revive a bit the slow Brussels promotion market and we will be able to accumulate points with other partners than airlines and car rentals

SN flies to quite a few destinations and LH will make it possible to redeems points to places that we could not fly before eg IST

do we know the date when the Privilege Programme will be eaten up by the MM?

thanks
Old Sep 15, 2008, 11:55 am

Programs: Ryanair PLATINUM : ) TK GOLD, AZ Gold, Radisson - gold,Marriott - gold
LH leader

i think that LH will take a lead and still is the most dynamic airline in europe

other alliances are too scattered in europe

eg one world is concetrated in the uk and gives you very few options to fly on the continent

flying blue is so illogical in customer service that the only option is LH in the EU

it s sad as they will probably start treating us quite badly and will gain the position of semi-monopolist

i wonder what will be the response of the Competition directorate of the European Commisison on this move of LH

any news about it yet? rumours?
Originally Posted by WorldwideNomad
Three supersized airlines to dominate European business travel will be Air France+KLM, British Airways and Lufthansa. Each is going to eat up the small fish and have some indigestion from doing that after a while.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 12:50 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Here is the press release by the way:
http://company.brusselsairlines.com/...=tcm:141-19030

Originally Posted by ambrogz
do we know the date when the Privilege Programme will be eaten up by the MM?
No idea if it will happen at all, but LH's Swiss acquisition was announced on 22 March 2005, and one could earn M&M status miles on LX from around 20 July 2005. I believe Swiss Travelclub members were moved to M&M between 1 January 2006 and 31 March 2006. From 1 April 2006, Swiss Travelclub ceased to exist.

If a similar timeline were to happen with SN, one would be able to start earning M&M miles from sometime in January 2009, and Privilege would cease to exist from October 2009.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 5:31 pm

competition

i remember when Sabena went bust KLM approached us and proposed a wonderfull offer.

all the miles that I had on my sn account were tripled + a platinum level if i make some 30K status miles

i do hope KLM will try to corner the Belgian market again as they did in 2002 ( i guess)

these were golden days

Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
Here is the press release by the way:
http://company.brusselsairlines.com/...=tcm:141-19030

No idea if it will happen at all, but LH's Swiss acquisition was announced on 22 March 2005, and one could earn M&M status miles on LX from around 20 July 2005. I believe Swiss Travelclub members were moved to M&M between 1 January 2006 and 31 March 2006. From 1 April 2006, Swiss Travelclub ceased to exist.

If a similar timeline were to happen with SN, one would be able to start earning M&M miles from sometime in January 2009, and Privilege would cease to exist from October 2009.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 9:41 am

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
LH buys Brussels Airlines, will we see ORD-BRU?

interesting part about the multi-hub strategy - will ORD get a n/s to BRU, perhaps seasonally? I think AA has a n/s but they have acodeshare with SN, so that might go away. And on a side note, perhaps a rhetorical question, why is LH kicking butt? I bet if the ownership laws were changed, LH would own UA and manage it a lot better

PS - 500 FT post (took 2 years)

Lufthansa will take over Brussels Airlines, the carriers announced yesterday, in a deal that potentially values the Belgian carrier at €250 million ($355.6 million) and could pave the way for its entry into Star Alliance.

http://www.atwonline.com/news/story.html?storyID=14025

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 16, 2008 at 9:52 am Reason: edited post to comply with FT TOS (Posting Copyrighted Material)
Old Sep 16, 2008, 10:15 am

Programs: AA Plt, FB Silver
SN (back when it was Sabena) had a ORD-BRU non-stop. Either way, this would be good for UA codesharing connections from IAD-BRU.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 10:23 am

Programs: UA Plat. Ex: DL PM, AA EXP, VX Gold,
Wow, this is great for expanding Star Alliance's network into Africa. It gives Star its first flights period into Rwanda, Burundi, Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea.

And its first flights from Europe into Uganda, DR Congo, and Cote D'Ivoire.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.