Search

First time in C on LH, what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2008, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
First time in C on LH, what to expect?

First trip to Africa via FRA in LH C on 747/330. Wondering what to expect in terms of lounges, service, etc. I gather I am relegated to the *A lounges at SFO (ugh) but perhaps the Senator lounge at FRA? Does one have to go through immigration at FRA if transiting? Also let me know if I made the right choice (alternative was B/F on DL).

Was contemplating joining M&M but not sure if it is worth it after reviewing the comparison threads as I am close to status on UA and will probably get more value from the UA benefits (though the paid C bonus on LH is tempting).

PS I tried a search but there are too many threads on C. Perhaps there is an appropriate trip review thread.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
What is your final destination ? Africa is big

In terms of lounges, there are several *G lounges at FRA airport. These are by far not luxury but I appreciate the nice offerings of snacks and beverages which are far superior to any North American lounges of the UA network.

Regarding the miles, that really depends of what your plans are in the future.

SFO-FRA-SFO alone will net you about 11.500 miles each way, so 23.000 in total. If your trip to "Africa" is of substantial distance and you would reach another 12K that would give you LH FTL status for 2 years, actually 2,5 if you qualify now. I would go for that but again that depends on what you pan to do in the future and how close your UA status is (would you get it without this trip as well ?).

Cheers,
Old Aug 15, 2008, 9:45 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Putting your miles towards bmi DC would be a better option too, even for your UA miles. DC still credits 600 points per UA segment regardless of fare paid, UA MP only the actual miles flown?
Old Aug 15, 2008, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Putting your miles towards bmi DC would be a better option too, even for your UA miles. DC still credits 600 points per UA segment regardless of fare paid, UA MP only the actual miles flown?
I thought about that as well but that then the OP would need far more miles to gain a status that is useful for him. Since he would most likely never fly BD Silver isnt a good option, then rather go for *S on a carrier that he at least occasionally flies on to get some benefits. E+ on UA and FTL lounges with LH.

I agree that crediting shorthops to UA isnt even worth bothering.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 10:14 am
DTS

Programs: AS 75k, A3 Gold, AC 25k, IHG Plat
If you actually consider joining M&M, let someone here refer you as a new member, this gives you 1000 extra bonus miles, best option would be: Me
Old Aug 15, 2008, 10:32 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
I thought about that as well but that then the OP would need far more miles to gain a status that is useful for him. Since he would most likely never fly BD Silver isnt a good option, then rather go for *S on a carrier that he at least occasionally flies on to get some benefits. E+ on UA and FTL lounges with LH.
SFO-FRA-JNB in C should put him/her very close to BD DC gold if he/she adds a few UA segments gives access to UA and US clubs and a nice ticket using cash and miles. Far more precious than the occasional E+ or possible FTL lounge access if any.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 10:51 am
DTS

True, how long would the status be valid? One year from qualification?
Old Aug 15, 2008, 11:20 am

Sadly yes, only one year. Just as UA MP
Old Aug 15, 2008, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA MM GS, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by oliver2002
How many miles do you get for US segments. MM only credits a meager 500miles plus executive bonus. Since I have re-qualified for SEN I was thinking about crediting my *A miles to some other carrier going forward. I am based in the US now.

Any advice would be appreciated.

FeM
Old Aug 15, 2008, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Thanks for the quick replies (I leave tomorrow!)

Final destination is LOS. I would like to use the miles for international upgrades or TATL (in C) which is becoming increasingly difficult on UA. I am looking at least 3 trips this year (all in C) and probably more next year. Not sure if that is enough for Senator - though maybe approaching UGS on UA. Do I get 100% bonus with Senator as I would with UA 1P?
Old Aug 15, 2008, 12:21 pm
DTS

No, the status bonus for FTL, SEN and HON is 25%, but 200% for C and 300% of the flown miles in F. If you're mainly flying longhaul C M&M and BD DC are your best options. What other trips are you planing, it might be sufficient for SEN.

IMHO using LH miles for upgrades is wasting them, better to use them for awards.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Thanks for the quick replies (I leave tomorrow!)

Final destination is LOS. I would like to use the miles for international upgrades or TATL (in C) which is becoming increasingly difficult on UA. I am looking at least 3 trips this year (all in C) and probably more next year. Not sure if that is enough for Senator - though maybe approaching UGS on UA. Do I get 100% bonus with Senator as I would with UA 1P?
Ok, considering that British Midland is the way to go !

It would be LH SEN as well (2 e-voucher for upgrades when reaching that level) but in general the redemption rates are rather high with LH. Credit to BD and you are immediately Silver, next time then gold. Yhpm !

No way that you get UA GS with that. For GS you will need FAR more trips or have influence on a companies booking structure.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by FTLexMUC
How many miles do you get for US segments. MM only credits a meager 500miles plus executive bonus.
You get 100% RDM/EQM with min 600 on all fares with UA/AC/US, exec bonus for gold of 25% on RDM at month end, 100% additional RDM bonus when you cross the 55000 EQM limit as gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.